Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Who needs quality software control when you can have fun with the emojis?

Bugs?
Crapalina and iOS 13 dumpster fire?

No problem!
There are Animoji's for that!
ios12-2-animoji-hero.jpg

chrisduketv

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
SoCal
They need to stop screwing around with adding things that people DON'T WANT and instead add the single-most needed feature that it's never had: support for vertical video. Two years now... and they are still forcing us to be in a square box. I have never used this app because of it, and will continue to disregard it.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
Apple is overestimating how many people are creative, how many people care about creativity, how many people use iPhones to be creative. Most people like to turn their brains off and enjoy passive entertainment or play video games. We’re not making art LOL

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
My wife doesn't know about Clips, but I'm gonna tell her about it. She likes Animoji, and loves social media, so she might get some use out of it.

But man, it never ceases to amaze me how some people here don't have an ounce of joy in their body.

I believe that's what happens when certain areas of the brain, having to do with and stimulating curiosity, imagination, learning, being receptive to new ideas, artistic beauty, joy, etc, become sclerotic and eventually close down. Having answers to and knowing everything leaves little room for questions, quickly puts one on the path to rigidity.
[automerge]1575576606[/automerge]
Apple is overestimating how many people are creative, how many people care about creativity, how many people use iPhones to be creative. Most people like to turn their brains off and enjoy passive entertainment or play video games. We’re not making art LOL

How do you know that? That has not been my experience with friends and people I know.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Whoopie! :rolleyes:

The MacOS Finder still does not have the option to make dynamically adjusting column widths to fit full file names the default. Error messages are still impenetrable. The spellchecker is just about the dumbest algorithm imaginable, looking at only one word at a time so it does not catch 'tot he' for 'to the' or 'no tit' for 'not it'. Not mention the recent rash of bugs in software and hardware...

But we can sleep easy tonight knowing there are Animoji and Memoji in Clips.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Wow. Whole bunch of people who are just far too cool to use this and yet still have no clue how OS development is done.
It's like being mad at the parks and rec department because the DMV moves too slow.

Steve Jobs would strongly disagree with you there.

FesFr8W.jpg

Encouraging people to be creative and giving them the tools to do so is important. It's far more fulfilling to create than it is to consume.

Wanna sit like a toad on a log and binge Netflix? Go ahead. But don't deny that others want to do more.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, I'm not normally one to jump on the everything-Apple-does-to-appeal-to-young-people-is-bad bandwagon, but there's something about Memoji I've always thought looked kinda… off? I just really don't like them.
Like you said, they’re for young people.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's like being mad at the parks and rec department because the DMV moves too slow.

FesFr8W.jpg

Encouraging people to be creative and giving them the tools to do so is important. It's far more fulfilling to create than it is to consume.

Wanna sit like a toad on a log and binge Netflix? Go ahead. But don't deny that others want to do more.

I remember the first Macintosh coming with the MacPaint App. In fact, IIRC, Jobs' 1984 Macintosh introduction was running MacPaint.
[automerge]1575580617[/automerge]
Like you said, they’re for young people.

More like for people whose creativity hasn't been stifled.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If your assumption is based on your personal preferences then it is likely not a correct assumption.
My assumption is based on never hearing or reading about it anywhere except the occasional update on MacRumors. I don't have anything against Clips, just doesn't seem like it has caught on.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Clips sounds like an interesting app, but I personally would never use it.

Wow. Whole bunch of people who are just far too cool to use this and yet still have no clue how OS development is done.

Are you referring to the people commenting on MacRumors? Based on the serious problems that iOS 13 had when it came out, I would argue plenty of people at Apple have no clue how OS development is done either.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011

FesFr8W.jpg

Steve Jobs was so cute. But he as lofty as his ambitions were, no one cares. Vast majority of people use their computers, in whatever form factor, to play video games and watch entertainment. As evidenced in this very thread, the idea of using an iPhone and Clips for creative endeavor is laughable. Most of us on planet earth want more RAM, more storage, faster graphics. The fact that Red Dead Redemption 2 can't run on a Mac is embarrassing. Final Cut? Logic? GarageBand? iWork? LOLOLOLOL.

I sure as hell would disown any of my children if they wanted to pursue creativity. They need real jobs, such as joining the miitary.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Steve Jobs was so cute. But he as lofty as his ambitions were, no one cares. Vast majority of people use their computers, in whatever form factor, to play video games and watch entertainment. As evidenced in this very thread, the idea of using an iPhone and Clips for creative endeavor is laughable. Most of us on planet earth want more RAM, more storage, faster graphics. The fact that Red Dead Redemption 2 can't run on a Mac is embarrassing. Final Cut? Logic? GarageBand? iWork? LOLOLOLOL.

I sure as hell would disown any of my children if they wanted to pursue creativity. They need real jobs, such as joining the miitary.

So in your universe these games are spontaneously generated out of the ether by giant pools of RAM, storage, and GPUs? There are no highly creative people who conceive, write, draw, animate, score, or edit the video components of these games? I hope I am never forced to live in your universe, it sounds sad.

I make movies and help others learn to make movies. I applaud Apple for all opportunities to encourage creativity even if Clips is not something I personally use.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
How exciting, a gimmick!

Is it a gimmick or is Apple possibly planning to evolve "Clips" into something similar to "TikTok", granted it is not for everyone, certainly not my cup of tea but for those who enjoy it at least there are not getting into other forms of troubles.

Every corporations needs to entice the youth market as that demographics is a corporations future user base. We are users of a specific platform for a reason may it be intentional or not.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Is it a gimmick or is Apple possibly planning to evolve "Clips" into something similar to "TikTok", granted it is not for everyone, certainly not my cup of tea but for those who enjoy it at least there are not getting into other forms of troubles.

Every corporations needs to entice the youth market as that demographics is a corporations future user base. We are users of a specific platform for a reason may it be intentional or not.

Or... and imo, it's simply an app that that's fun to use and may inspire some whose minds have yet to be calcified to explore creative endeavors. And, like Apple's Photo Booth app, there is no corporate ulterior motive.

Those who have little room for exploring artistic expression and always have answers for everything, well, it's probably best to muster up a big eye roll and let everyone know how boring the app probably is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.