Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I feel unreasonably sad every time I see this, imagining that it's many people's jobs to make these high-effort features that don't excite anyone. It's like seeing abandoned toys.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I assume you are joking.
It's pretty reasonable. It's been shown that most of smartphone screen time is brain-idle usage. And I think way more people would've been using Macs the past decade if they were as creative as Apple hoped. It was kinda the only option for creativity in the mid 2000s, and I'm really thankful for it too cause it inspired my hobbies as a kid. But guess who always wins the marketshare, Microsoft, Android, and co.

Anyway, I don't see what's so creativity-inspiring about the AR emoji stuff. The rest of the app seems cool.
[automerge]1575618245[/automerge]
How do you know that? That has not been my experience with friends and people I know.
Daily revenue of the Clash of Clans type mobile games should be convincing enough.
[automerge]1575618873[/automerge]
Apple is overestimating how many people are creative, how many people care about creativity, how many people use iPhones to be creative. Most people like to turn their brains off and enjoy passive entertainment or play video games. We’re not making art LOL
This doesn't mean Apple is wrong. They have a target audience, and even if they don't win the marketshare game, they know how to take the most profit. I'm glad Apple stands up for the not-completely-mainstream groups sometimes; it was also kinda how they started.

Last edited:

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
If this update enables/results in stuff like the article picture of big pre-designed cartoon masks droning vapidly into the camera, then please; no.
Apple is overestimating how many people are creative, how many people care about creativity, how many people use iPhones to be creative. Most people like to turn their brains off and enjoy passive entertainment or play video games. We’re not making art LOL
They might be mostly consumption devices, but I wouldn't discourage useful / productive tools. Memoji aren't in that category though.
I sure as hell would disown any of my children if they wanted to pursue creativity. They need real jobs, such as joining the miitary.
I'm thinking that there appears to be substantial confusion these days between being creative, and attention-seeking ("Hey, look; I don't have a brain, but I don't care. Because I have a camera")

And let's face it; simply giving people another "effects" button to spam isn't going to make them creative (actual) - just more "creative" (gimme attention!)

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
Art is a waste of time. There is a reason why music and art funding has plummeted in our public schools. Good luck trying to find a job as an “artist.” I’ve done everything I could to scare my children from studying any kind of art. Juilliard over West Point? You got to be kidding me. The idea Apple is making tools to inspire creativity is a joke. Just give us more RAM, storage, longer battery life.

Here at MacRumors you will see almost no one complain about the lack of creativity apps. In fact, we are bashing Clips as a cheap video editing app. In double fact, go through these forums and note the most requested features. More RAM, more storage, more battery.

• Haha
Reactions: citysnaps

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Art is a waste of time. There is a reason why music and art funding has plummeted in our public schools. Good luck trying to find a job as an “artist.” I’ve done everything I could to scare my children from studying any kind of art. Juilliard over West Point? You got to be kidding me. The idea Apple is making tools to inspire creativity is a joke. Just give us more RAM, storage, longer battery life.

Here at MacRumors you will see almost no one complain about the lack of creativity apps. In fact, we are bashing Clips as a cheap video editing app. In double fact, go through these forums and note the most requested features. More RAM, more storage, more battery.

According to recent government statistics, the gateway drug ensnaring children into a life of artistic expression and appreciation, is a box of crayons. Never, ever, let them in your home!

222621_521020341276691_285014517_n.png

• Haha
Reactions: brgjoe

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
People make fun of this, but completely forget that Steve Jobs once spent a good 10 minutes showing people how cool "Photo Booth" was. TBH I don't see any difference.
[automerge]1575642758[/automerge]
October 2005: Steve Jobs demos Photo Booth.
January 2006: Steve Jobs demos photo booth
August 2006: Steve Jobs demos photo booth
June 2007: Steve Jobs demos photo booth
July 2011: Steve Jobs demos photo booth
How is this any less gimmicky

Last edited:
Reactions: pinzoni

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It's pretty reasonable. It's been shown that most of smartphone screen time is brain-idle usage. And I think way more people would've been using Macs the past decade if they were as creative as Apple hoped. It was kinda the only option for creativity in the mid 2000s, and I'm really thankful for it too cause it inspired my hobbies as a kid. But guess who always wins the marketshare, Microsoft, Android, and co.

Anyway, I don't see what's so creativity-inspiring about the AR emoji stuff. The rest of the app seems cool.
[automerge]1575618245[/automerge]

Daily revenue of the Clash of Clans type mobile games should be convincing enough.
[automerge]1575618873[/automerge]

This doesn't mean Apple is wrong. They have a target audience, and even if they don't win the marketshare game, they know how to take the most profit. I'm glad Apple stands up for the not-completely-mainstream groups sometimes; it was also kinda how they started.
The reason that Android has more marketshare than Apple is because there are thousands and thousands of android phones, at all different prices, from tuns of different companies. There is only a few iPhones that are all made by Apple.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Oh I understand. Believe me I do, and I’m chuckling to myself.

A true creative person doesn’t need Apple clips to be creative.

Got it. You're the arbiter of what a "true creative person" should use or "doesn't need" to express their vision.

Can you list a few tools or items on your approved list of needs for true creatives?

Last edited:
Reactions: the johnmc

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Got it. You're the arbiter of what a "true creative person" should use or "doesn't need" to express their vision.

Can you list a few tools or items on your approved list of needs for true creatives?

So now you’re questioning what my creative means are? I see where you want to tske this debate and sorry, but I’m not taking the bait.

We are discussing one creative outlet, clips... And you want to divert from that.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
So now you’re questioning what my creative means are? I see where you want to tske this debate and sorry, but I’m not taking the bait.

No not at all. You said a "true creative person" doesn't need Clips. Just wondering what tools and mediums are OK with you.

Reactions: the johnmc

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
No not at all. You said a "true creative person" doesn't need Clips. Just wondering what tools and mediums are OK with you.
Even I have to agree with citysnaps here. Lord above...

you use whatever tool works best for the job—providing it is a paying job.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Or... and imo, it's simply an app that that's fun to use and may inspire some whose minds have yet to be calcified to explore creative endeavors. And, like Apple's Photo Booth app, there is no corporate ulterior motive.

Those who have little room for exploring artistic expression and always have answers for everything, well, it's probably best to muster up a big eye roll and let everyone know how boring the app probably is.

Not sure if you misunderstood my comment, I am neither for or against the clips app. It is great that some like it. No ulterior motive here. I would actually recommend to make it part of the Photos or Camera app tbh. Too many individual apps.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
MacRumors never fails to deliver a bunch of snarky "too cool for school" comments. Don't like Clips, move on and not comment? But no, need to display their charming wit and insight. :rolleyes:

IMO Clips is no the issue. Reliability is. I hope Apple gets back to 'it just works', and I don't see focusing on clips getting them there.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
So strange that this app seems to be for people who like to post to social media yet doesn't allow the 16:9 vertical ratio when making content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.