Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
so does IGZO display still has that "image retention" issue that plaque most of the LG screens of the retina macbook pros?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Apple sometimes doesn't announce what tech they use if it's gonna confuse the regular user. They'd just rather tell you how thin and how great the battery life still is without telling you what helps it get there.

True, but they could have at least announced it at the keynote, since "regular" apple users don't watch the keynote.......just saying....

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I hope this doesn't mean the next iPhone will be as thin as a credit card with a significantly smaller battery (but with the same battery life it has now).

5S sized battery + IGZO display = leaving my charger at home. :D

priyamsingh

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Why didn't they advertize this?

I had my heart set on IGZO so when they announced the Air and said nothing about it, I was so pissed off at Apple for not having used this technology. I came very close to not buying the iPad and waiting until the next gen with IGZO came out. With its excellent marketing, I wonder why they dont advertize this or that they use Gorilla Glass for example. They could lose a lot of customers. Its really amazing technology and the only complaints I had with the iPad was because of no GG or IGZO. Just add RAM in the next gen and it will be perfect.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
From what I read, WOW :eek:

I can't wait to get my iPad Air which arrives tomorrow. Coming from a iPad 1 to iPad Air.

My goodness. Man, you're gonna be blown away. I was when I went to my mini from my iPad 1, so I can only imagine what you'll be feeling tomorrow!

One thing I wonder is why Apple made no marketing mention of this move. They glazed over it as being more efficient, lighter, and faster with emphasis on the A7 and M7, all without mentioning the introduction of a display technology that'll surely make its way in all their mobile products much like the Retina Display did.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
/me imagines the thinness and battery life of the iPhone 6 using an IGZO display. :D

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I had my heart set on IGZO so when they announced the Air and said nothing about it, I was so pissed off at Apple for not having used this technology. I came very close to not buying the iPad and waiting until the next gen with IGZO came out. With its excellent marketing, I wonder why they dont advertize this or that they use Gorilla Glass for example. They could lose a lot of customers. Its really amazing technology and the only complaints I had with the iPad was because of no GG or IGZO. Just add RAM in the next gen and it will be perfect.

I shared your confusion but after thinking about it, it actually makes a lot of sense. They want to advertise "The iPad." They don't want you thinking of any other company or technology. They don't want you to think Gorilla Glass or IGZO made the product great, it was Apple who made it fantastic. ;) I think putting too many names and technologies with an announcement downplays the master creator in a sense. Of course the geek in all of us wants to know the specs! But they're more concerned selling this stuff to the average consumer than the 1% spec drooling nerds. :)

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008

Good point. I make my tablet purchase decisions solely based on screen technology. I don't care about a complete redesign, reduction in thickness, and huge reduction in weight. :p

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I shared your confusion but after thinking about it, it actually makes a lot of sense. They want to advertise "The iPad." They don't want you thinking of any other company or technology. They don't want you to think Gorilla Glass or IGZO made the product great, it was Apple who made it fantastic. ;) I think putting too many names and technologies with an announcement downplays the master creator in a sense. Of course the geek in all of us wants to know the specs! But they're more concerned selling this stuff to the average consumer than the 1% spec drooling nerds. :)

I don't know what you're talking about! There is plenty of room on the back of the iPad for dozens of brand stickers ;)

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Still haven't tried one of these out. Can't wait for next year's model!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I couldn't stand my 1st gen iPad, and I swore I would never buy another iPad. However, that all changed with this years iPad updates. Bought one last night and I absolutely love it! Can't wait to get my Keyboard portfolio case soon!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.