Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
17% + 70% + 20% + 25% + 23% = iPad Air really confuses me.

Just noticed the same thing, it has to be the touch sensor, no way that takes up 70% of the thickness, with all the others it leaves just 15% for the touch sensor which seems more reasonable.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Got my iPad Air. First tablet I've owned. I used it all weekend and didn't need to recharge it. I charged it overnight Sunday, and I'm at 86% battery life right now. I've been using it pretty frequently, watching a few videos here and there, reading Game of Thrones, and surfing the web.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
does this mean that the display can turn off individual pixels?

i thought IGZO turns off any pixels that are 100% black to improve contrast, but haven't seen there anywhere in reports mentioning the iPA?

No, that's AMOLED displays, what Samsung's been using.

Wouldn't Apple have announced this if it were the case?

Something seems strange here.....

No, because the battery life isn't any better - it's the same. If they had improved battery life they would have been talking about how they reduced the thickness of the device by xxx amount while also increasing battery life.

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I hope this doesn't mean the next iPhone will be as thin as a credit card with a significantly smaller battery (but with the same battery life it has now).

5S sized battery + IGZO display = leaving my charger at home. :D

The display tech in the iphone is more power efficient than IGZO, as noted by the report comparing the ipad air screen to the kindle.

Its also more expensive and thicker at tablet sizes which is why they went with IGZO in the iPad.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
/me imagines the thinness and battery life of the iPhone 6 using an IGZO display. :D

Forget the thinness. The thicker 4/4S and the 5c feel better in the hand than the thinner 5/5S IMO. Shrink the components but use the extra space for more battery.

Moongrass

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Just noticed the same thing, it has to be the touch sensor, no way that takes up 70% of the thickness, with all the others it leaves just 15% for the touch sensor which seems more reasonable.

The illustration doesn't show how much of the whole each component takes up, but rather by how much each component has reduced in thickness. Thus, it shows that the touch sensor has been reduced by 70%, not that the sensor alone constitutes 70% of the display's overall thickness.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Now if they could just make their screens uniformly white, without yellow blotches, dirty tinges or dark shadows at the edges, they'd have a winner.

Seriously, WTF happened to Apple quality control? I've been through 3 ipads (ipad 3, 4, and air) that have all had screen problems.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
17% + 70% + 20% + 25% + 23% = iPad Air really confuses me.

Those numbers represent the reduction in component thickness, not the current breakdown of thickness of each component. Notice the subtraction sign in front of each number, they're not hyphens.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
The real news here seems to be the quality of the display in the new Kindle.
It's amazing to see something with 30% more resolution, better color accuracy, and less reflectivity, at a much lower price.

A shame that it's a 16:10 panel and running Android though.
Hopefully we will see other devices with similar quality panels without having to wait a full year.

I'm looking for something to stream videos to, so display quality is my main priority over anything else.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I got mine last night in the mail- it really is impressive. Same thickness as the mini, just a little bit larger width and height-wise. Text is much easier to read than on the mini. I played with it all night, and could only get the battery down to 69%, lol. Holding it in bed was fine, and I was used to my mini. I think this one is a keeper.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Now if they could just make their screens uniformly white, without yellow blotches, dirty tinges or dark shadows at the edges, they'd have a winner.

Seriously, WTF happened to Apple quality control? I've been through 3 ipads (ipad 3, 4, and air) that have all had screen problems.

I think some of the biggest fault is in the consumers' hands for blindingly accepting that Apple is without fault and accepting that these issues are normal and not returning their equipments. If Apple was drowned with returns and exchanges, they'd be forced to tighten quality control or at least to give a public explanation (like what happened with the Antenna-gate and Scuff-gate).

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I hope this doesn't mean the next iPhone will be as thin as a credit card with a significantly smaller battery (but with the same battery life it has now).

5S sized battery + IGZO display = leaving my charger at home. :D

Actually the 5s used LTPS, which is already a low power screen, making the 5s IGZO would not changed anything.

----------

Are you saying this because you think Apple invented IGZO? Do you also think Apple is the first to release a product utilizing IGZO?

They are still the first to used it in high volume.

tobeornottobe

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Apple is still on the treadmill to thinning devices. Imagine iPhone 6 half as thin as the iPhone 5. The thickest part of the iPhone 6 would probably be the headphone jack. Wow.

Do you guys think apple will re invent the headphone jack just to thin the devices even more??

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Wouldn't Apple have announced this if it were the case?

Something seems strange here.....

I don't think so. IGZO just changes the materials used inside the display, they look the same. It is nothing that the end user needs to worry about, so they just say thinner, lighter, faster and with the same/better battery life.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
why?

Is this why the ipad air display doesn't look as good, contrasty or sharp as some of the previous generation displays?

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The real news here seems to be the quality of the display in the new Kindle.
It's amazing to see something with 30% more resolution, better color accuracy, and less reflectivity, at a much lower price.
The Fire HDX 8.9" is actually closer in display size to the Retina iPad Mini:
http://www.displaywars.com/8,9-inch-16x10-vs-7,9-inch-4x3

And the price is almost the same as the Retina Mini. $394 without the Special Offers discount. The memory upgrades are much more reasonably priced at $50 for each doubling, though.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The new kindle fire uses something even better then IGZO

----------

The Fire HDX 8.9" is actually closer in display size to the Retina iPad Mini:
http://www.displaywars.com/8,9-inch-16x10-vs-7,9-inch-4x3

And the price is almost the same as the Retina Mini. $394 without the Special Offers discount. The memory upgrades are much more reasonably priced at $50 for each doubling, though.

Id still take a ipad any day over any android tablet right now

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
The graphic describes how much each component has been shrunk in terms of its own thickness, not what proportion of the total thickness that component comprises. That's why the total is not 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.