Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Very strange decision that Apple didn´t mention this at the keynote. They probably have implemented IGZO just because they wanted to make it both thinner and because of the smaller battery they needed huge power savings, too. So their focus was not primarily on making "a better screen". By looking at it that way, it actually makes some sense. I would never have guessed though that they simply skip marketing the **** out of that important step, because that really is the first display technology change since the original iPad. It´s rather significant if you think about it.

I am quite disappointed though, that Amazon now has the better display (density as well as resolution, color reproduction and out-of-the-box calibration).

Let´s hope Apple invests more time into making their display better until they can beat the Kindle display. The display is one of the things that I like the most about my iPad and I don´t want to buy the second best, just because it´s not feasible for Apple. Because that just feels like a mass-market product for a premium price.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Very strange decision that Apple didn´t mention this at the keynote. They probably have implemented IGZO just because they wanted to make it both thinner and because of the smaller battery they needed huge power savings, too. So their focus was not primarily on making "a better screen". By looking at it that way, it actually makes some sense. I would never have guessed though that they simply skip marketing the **** out of that important step, because that really is the first display technology change since the original iPad. It´s rather significant if you think about it.

I am quite disappointed though, that Amazon now has the better display (density as well as resolution, color reproduction and out-of-the-box calibration).

Let´s hope Apple invests more time into making their display better until they can beat the Kindle display. The display is one of the things that I like the most about my iPad and I don´t want to buy the second best, just because it´s not feasible for Apple. Because that just feels like a mass-market product for a premium price.

Imo apple did what it had to do, the point of IGZO is to reduce power which in turn allowed for a slimmer design. I dont recall saying in the keynotes the iphone 5 had LTPS.

To actually improve the image, Apple should laminate its ipad screen. Imo expect that in the next ipads.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
They are still the first to used it in high volume.

Are you sure about that? Try googling the Fujitsu LifeBook SH90 and the Dell M4800.

It's annoying when Apple fanatics try to attribute innovation to Apple when Apple decides to use a new technology that wasn't invented there. Yes, there are plenty examples of Apple's innovation, but the use of IGZO displays is NOT one of them.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
They are still the first to used it in high volume.

Are you sure about that? Try googling the Fujitsu LifeBook SH90 and the Dell M4800.

It's annoying when Apple fanatics try to attribute innovation to Apple when Apple decides to use a new technology that wasn't invented there. Yes, there are plenty examples of Apple's innovation, but the use of IGZO displays is NOT one of them.

The keyword is VOLUME... so herbapou's comment is accurate.

You're right... Apple didn't invent IGZO... but there will be 15 million new iPads out in the world this Holiday season with IGZO screens.

That sounds like volume to me.

I'm not sure the Fujitsu LifeBook SH90 and the Dell M4800 sell in quite the volume.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011

For crying out loud, HIGH VOLUME. And i am pretty sure people understands Apple didnt invent IGZO. They did invest billions in Sharp production 2 years ago to have the capacity today, so they did contribute... R&D was done with that cash to improve the tech and solved production issues.

Want to start a debate about Xerox Spark concepts and the first mac GUI OS now?
or the tablet market that existed before the iPad?
or the touch screen interface VS what was in used 2007?

Grabbing concepts and putting huge amount of R&D to make it work is inventing something to me...

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
If the iPad Mini with retina display uses IGZO displays, then why does it need to be heavier and carry a bigger battery?

I'm still skeptical about these new iPads having IGZO displays.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I had my heart set on IGZO so when they announced the Air and said nothing about it, I was so pissed off at Apple for not having used this technology. I came very close to not buying the iPad and waiting until the next gen with IGZO came out. With its excellent marketing, I wonder why they dont advertize this or that they use Gorilla Glass for example. They could lose a lot of customers. Its really amazing technology and the only complaints I had with the iPad was because of no GG or IGZO. Just add RAM in the next gen and it will be perfect.

Because no one really cares. And yes, the hundreds of geeks that might care limit close to zero when compared to millions of customers who buy Apple products. Should they have just to appease customers such as yourself? Maybe. But again, Apple doesn't care about a niche group. You advertise for the millions, not hundreds of customers.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
If the iPad Mini with retina display uses IGZO displays, then why does it need to be heavier and carry a bigger battery?

Seriously? its either LTPS or IGZO, since its not LTPS then its....

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
This article is incorrect. IGZO is more power efficient than LTPS, not less. Apple is not stupid. The power efficiency was paramount in enabling the reduction in size and power consumption of the ipad air.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
This article is incorrect. IGZO is more power efficient than LTPS, not less. Apple is not stupid. The power efficiency was paramount in enabling the reduction in size and power consumption of the ipad air.

both are almost equally power efficient. The difference is IGZO is a lot more easier to mass produce at that size. This is why Apple use LTPS for phones and IGZO for tablets...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I had my heart set on IGZO so when they announced the Air and said nothing about it, I was so pissed off at Apple for not having used this technology. I came very close to not buying the iPad and waiting until the next gen with IGZO came out. With its excellent marketing, I wonder why they dont advertize this or that they use Gorilla Glass for example. They could lose a lot of customers. Its really amazing technology and the only complaints I had with the iPad was because of no GG or IGZO. Just add RAM in the next gen and it will be perfect.

Amazing, a man sold on what marketing names they give to things.

If I told you the iPad had 2gb of ram in it, would it make you happier too? Talk about snake oil.

Tell you what, its got 2gb of ram, its got an A7X, IGZO technology, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and a quad core chip. Will that make your experience of using it better for you now?

Also you should read up, "Gorilla Glass" only exists now because Jobs resurrected a 15 year old project from the death for the original iPhone.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Wow. Elitist first world problems much. I usually ignore posts like yours but I couldn't take it. Get a grip. Please buy the kindle hdx if you need the "best display"

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No wonder the display looks markedly better than my family's iPad 2 and iPad 4 ;)

Last edited:

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Wouldn't Apple have announced this if it were the case?

Something seems strange here.....

At first, your comment makes a good point: If the display is truly IGZO, why didn't Apple brag about it?

Thinking about what else the article stated, it makes sense. If Apple bragged about IGZO, Amazon could brag that their display technoloy is better.

I think it was a logical decision not to mention it. Let the thinness and great battery life speak for itself....and sell millions!

----------

so does IGZO display still has that "image retention" issue that plaque most of the LG screens of the retina macbook pros?

I can't imagine that it could. That's been very bad press for the rMBP. Apple can't afford to have that happen to the iPad.

----------

I hope this doesn't mean the next iPhone will be as thin as a credit card with a significantly smaller battery (but with the same battery life it has now).

5S sized battery + IGZO display = leaving my charger at home. :D

Certainly the iPhone 6 will have IGZO. I'm ready to buy it...

----------

Are you saying this because you think Apple invented IGZO? Do you also think Apple is the first to release a product utilizing IGZO?

None of that means anything.

Apple is the first to mass produce a major product with IGZO. They will make a ton of money off of it. They push to get advanced high tech in mainstream products. I appreciate that.

(You sound like an iHater)

----------

So funding an organization so it can roll-out its technology would be considered inventing or innovating that technology? In that case, does this mean you will give credit to Microsoft for Apple's comeback circa 1998 when MS invested $150M into Apple?

Yes, you are an iHater...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

It had to be "iPad 3 heavy + 11000mAh battery" if Apple didn't use IGZO in the new mini.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Forget the thinness. The thicker 4/4S and the 5c feel better in the hand than the thinner 5/5S IMO. Shrink the components but use the extra space for more battery.

I am indifferent about whether 4 and 5c feel better in hand, but i agree, id rather have thicker phone with better battery to thinner phone.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Very strange decision that Apple didn´t mention this at the keynote.

Who wants to brag about the fact that they have the second best (if that) display on the market? Apple now is solidly behind the innovation curve and it's clear why. With their strategy of having just one model in each class (meaning - high volumes) they simply can't have the best available technology because the best usually means the latest and the latest usually means limited availability and higher costs. It's not a surprise that all Apple devices now have second class screens be it the phone, the tablet or the laptops.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
At first, your comment makes a good point: If the display is truly IGZO, why didn't Apple brag about it?

Thinking about what else the article stated, it makes sense. If Apple bragged about IGZO, Amazon could brag that their display technoloy is better.

I think it was a logical decision not to mention it. Let the thinness and great battery life speak for itself....and sell millions!

----------

I can't imagine that it could. That's been very bad press for the rMBP. Apple can't afford to have that happen to the iPad.

----------

Certainly the iPhone 6 will have IGZO. I'm ready to buy it...

----------

None of that means anything.

Apple is the first to mass produce a major product with IGZO. They will make a ton of money off of it. They push to get advanced high tech in mainstream products. I appreciate that.

(You sound like an iHater)

----------

Yes, you are an iHater...

Haha...far from it. I'd venture to guess I've been using Apple products longer than you've been alive. I think most Apple products are great, but I also think there are fanatics out there who have blind allegiance to Apple. I'm not an iHater, unless your definition of one includes despising fanatics who worship a consumer electronics company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.