Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows owners to keep using their old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded and the trollosphere goes ballistic. Dozens of threads are created featuring befuddled arguments, while only a few rare threads such as A Battery Scientist's View attempting to actually understand the complexities of lithium-ion batteries and power management algorithms.

I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life. I am happy to pay the relatively high upfront cost to have a device that I can count on to work for me for half a decade without having to micromanage every little system decision along the way. Despite the limits imposed by physics, I truly appreciate the current state of battery technology - it has always been a rather black art to manage miniaturized mobile power, and have not forgotten what a luxury it is to have a pocket size computer always at the ready. This is also the reason that iPhone's have such a high resale value. I fully support Apple's power management decision with overloaded degraded batteries to slowdown my iPhone rather than to let it shutdown.

It's actually the opposite of planned obsolescence.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Stop this nonsense about the iPhone 7 being old. A year old phone doesn't need throttling to save battery and if it needs it what's the point of hat super fast CPU if it's going to be throttled in a year anyway and perform below competing Android smartphones. And since when did year old phones have overloaded degraded batteries? And even if they did why am I not warned and why is the phone slowed down? Why does Apple insist on acting like how malware does on Windows surreptiously slowing down the system without informing me the owner of the phone? Why were battery apps barred from accessing battery stats in iOS 10? Is it because making that data easily available could have hindered this strategy? Is Apple hoping the slowe rphone would entice me to a newer iPhone?

Fun Fact- My Nexus 5 battery from 2013 fared much better than my iPhone 6 without throttling. My iPhone 7 Plus battery life has been wrecked ever since iOS 11 dropped while my X has no issues with battery life.

Battery technology on recent phones is still old. There has been no development whatsoever in this area.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Of course anyone is free to believe what they want, and one thing is for certain, this whole throttle gate issue on a tech forum is not indicative of everyone else's experience with an iPhone. Some Need to look outside the media bias and tech forums, in the real world, I challenge most every day iPhone consumers to even notice the difference with their iPhone being 'slow' without even hearing of this throttling issue to begin with. Not To mention, would they even notice the slightest difference if they're iPhone was throttled? I doubt that.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Stop this nonsense about the iPhone 7 being old. A year old phone doesn't need throttling to save battery and if it needs it what's the point of hat super fast CPU if it's going to be throttled in a year anyway and perform below competing Android smartphones. And since when did year old phones have overloaded degraded batteries? And even if they did why am I not warned and why is the phone slowed down? Why does Apple insist on acting like how malware does on Windows surreptiously slowing down the system without informing me the owner of the phone? Why were battery apps barred from accessing battery stats in iOS 10? Is it because making that data easily available could have hindered this strategy? Is Apple hoping the slowe rphone would entice me to a newer iPhone?

Fun Fact- My Nexus 5 battery from 2013 fared much better than my iPhone 6 without throttling. My iPhone 7 Plus battery life has been wrecked ever since iOS 11 dropped while my X has no issues with battery life.

Battery technology on recent phones is still old. There has been no development whatsoever in this area.
The answer to your questions is ios isn’t windows, thanks the lord. To most people an iPhone “just works”. However like all other things in life there are exceptions.

Whether you like it or not Apple isn’t about choice. Those who want choice should visit google.

Reactions: artfossil

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Whether you like it or not Apple isn’t about choice. Those who want choice should visit google.

I will take a good long hard look at that if my iPhone X throttles next year. If it does, I am out. I am not interested in paying for a annual subscription to Apple for batteries just so my X performs at the level I paid for. So far this doesn’t seem to be an issue with the iPad so i am covered in that aspect.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Newsflash: The iPhone buying public doesn’t care. The only people who care are those who worry about their geekbench score being slightly lower than their android owning buddy’s.

How many iPhone owners do you think even know, or care about this issue? If it really bothers you, then just go buy something else. You’re not going to change how Apple operates by posting here. And, I highly suspect that the large majority of those who are so upset about this will buy the next iPhone next year too.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
My Nexus 5 lasts from 7am to 1pm after 4 years of use on an outdated OS. My 7 Plus on iOS 11 lasts till 3PM. The X lasts well into the next day. Speaks volumes about how much Apple cares about older products while updating.

Reactions: Breezygirl

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I will take a good long hard look at that if my iPhone X throttles next year. If it does, I am out. I am not interested in paying for a annual subscription to Apple for batteries just so my X performs at the level I paid for. So far this doesn’t seem to be an issue with the iPad so i am covered in that aspect.
You should. You should do what’s best for you. If you don’t pay Apple for an annual battery subscription there is the other “piper” to pay. Either way you’ll be gotten but you should like your device.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Wait until Apple gives the hystericals what they are asking for......

The Hew and Cry will be, Apples battery life sucks, iPhones are to thick and heavy.

Sometimes I think most people are idiots.... oh Wait! They ARE.

Don't like a dim flashlight? Change the batteries.....
Don't like a slow iPhone? Change the battery......

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I don’t think the iPhone 7 is being throttled now. Apple only said that the feature is built into the iPhone 7. I don’t think it will come into play until the iPhone 7 is at least 2 years old. However th battery life on my 7 plus was rubbish in the end.

Your nexus 5 would do better as it probably hasn’t been updated for years.

Reactions: bobob and motulist

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
To me this isn’t news, the one thing I always read on here is how Apple decides what’s best for you with the iPhones. You have to jailbreak it or go android if your into complete customization of your device.
I’m not sure what hard core processing many users are doing with their phones to even be worried about, I doubt Facebook and snap chat use much processing power.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don’t think the iPhone 7 is being throttled now. Apple only said that the feature is built into the iPhone 7. I don’t think it will come into play until the iPhone 7 is at least 2 years old. However th battery life on my 7 plus was rubbish in the end.

Your nexus 5 would do better as it probably hasn’t been updated for years.

There have been reports on the iOS sub forum and on the Reddit thread which show iPhone 7 models being throttled.

Reactions: macfacts

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
There have been reports on the iOS sub forum and on the Reddit thread which show iPhone 7 models being throttled.

Well if you saw it on the internet, it must be true.

Tell me, what actual real world experiences have been lessened for you (or anyone you know) over the past month since this throttling became such a big deal? What apps don’t work as advertised?

Reactions: bobob

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well if you saw it on the internet, it must be true.

Tell me, what actual real world experiences have been lessened for you (or anyone you know) over the past month since this throttling became such a big deal? What apps don’t work as advertised?
My phone wasn’t throttled. I had other problems with iOS 11 namely huge battery drain and home button delay.

If my phone were throttled and if Apple refused to fix it for free I would simply go to Android on principle. I paid for an A11 Bionic not an A10. For now they both perform the same in real world usage but as future OS iterations and apps get more demanding they are going to need that extra CPU grunt.

Reactions: motulist

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My phone wasn’t throttled. I had other problems with iOS 11 namely huge battery drain and home button delay.

If my phone were throttled and if Apple refused to fix it for free I would simply go to Android on principle. I paid for an A11 Bionic not an A10. For now they both perform the same in real world usage but as future OS iterations and apps get more demanding they are going to need that extra CPU grunt.
Yes I would agree. My 7 plus wasn’t throttled. The problem I had was the battery life suddenly getting rubbish.

Reactions: Radon87000

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017

I get the other issues, but they have nothing to do with this issue of throttling.

I’d also say that people don’t pay for an A11 Bionic. They pay for an experience of the phone working as advertised. As of yet, I’ve seen a lot of complaints about how it *may not* at some arbitrary time in the future, but I haven’t seen one person claim that their experience using their phone has been impacted.

Even if you say you paid for the A11 Bionic (or whatever chip set you wanted), you still got that. You didn’t pay for the assurance that it would perform a geekbench score of xxxxx forever.

Reactions: bobob and artfossil

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Hold on, your not experiencing throttling on either of your devices but your complaining about the notion of throttling?

Reactions: DNichter

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I get the other issues, but they have nothing to do with this issue of throttling.

I’d also say that people don’t pay for an A11 Bionic. They pay for an experience of the phone working as advertised. As of yet, I’ve seen a lot of complaints about how it *may not* at some arbitrary time in the future, but I haven’t seen one person claim that their experience using their phone has been impacted.

Even if you say you paid for the A11 Bionic (or whatever chip set you wanted), you still got that. You didn’t pay for the assurance that it would perform a geekbench score of xxxxx forever.
Which is why had I known about the throttling issue I would have reconsidered my decision to get the AirPods and iPhone X. If it demands a battery replacement every year to maintain it’s simply not worth it considering the price I paid for it. I paid upfront full price for the X. Why should I pay a 100 bucks every year to feed Apple’s greed when the Android competition doesn’t resort to throttling and has just as good phones except without the ecosystem integration. Heck the Note 8’s Battery is expected to retain 95% health after 2 years. If iPhones throttle every year the batteries Apple are using seem subpar in comparison.

I am willing to try till next year if my X gets throttled or not. If it does my house is an iPhone-zone. I am still keeping the iPads as apparently they don’t throttle.
[doublepost=1514299390][/doublepost]
Hold on, your not experiencing throttling on either of your devices but your complaining about the notion of throttling?

Apple says they have enabled throttling on the 7 and they are gonna expand it to the X and 8 in the future and I won’t know when as the release notes don’t state it. I find that scary and I don’t want that code in my phone.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Newsflash: The iPhone buying public doesn’t care. The only people who care are those who worry about their geekbench score being slightly lower than their android owning buddy’s.

How many iPhone owners do you think even know, or care about this issue? If it really bothers you, then just go buy something else. You’re not going to change how Apple operates by posting here. And, I highly suspect that the large majority of those who are so upset about this will buy the next iPhone next year too.
That's absurd. EVERYONE notices that their older phones seem to get slower and slower. It's the singular thing that the general public WOULD notice. Nobody is complaining because they ran some obscure benchmark and the numbers are low, they are complaining because there is a very noticeable difference in speed.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017

Ding ding ding!!! Winner!!!

NONE of these people are experiencing the thing that they’re complaining about!!! That’s my point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.