Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
In here alone? Nope. But over the last year or two, the pressure from MANY places has gotten Apple to ...
  1. Divulge future Mac Pro activity
  2. Create the monstrosity that is the iMac Pro
  3. In response to the backlash from the touch Bar MBP release - Admit they really aren't abandoning the Pro market, in spite of their actions
But you can continue living in the bubble.

Haha. You mean that bubble where things like my geekbench score don’t bother me? The bubble where if my phone slows down past a certain point that I find tolerable, I happily buy a new one? The bubble where I don’t need to jump on an online forum to find social proof for these major life problems? That bubble? Sounds good to me. Lol

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I am not sold on the "rational" battery management but yeah, there are definitely trolls. On both sides too.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Haha. You mean that bubble where things like my geekbench score don’t bother me? The bubble where if my phone slows down past a certain point that I find tolerable, I happily buy a new one? The bubble where I don’t need to jump on an online forum to find social proof for these major life problems? That bubble? Sounds good to me. Lol
Do you understand that the point of a forum is to talk about things that affect more than just you personally? Like how many people (that I have already given you many examples) are seeing slowness in real world situations, not just some benchmark (which you continually ignore because it is inconvenient to your bias)? You think it's perfectly acceptable that people should be induced to spend hundreds of dollars on a new device when they could be told that they just need a new $50 battery to regain performance? You're OK with a company selling people a device with certain specs, only to have those specs be lowered over time without any notice or explanation to the user?

You're the one who seems to need the external validation of your own biases by tearing down anyone pointing to the evidence provided by Apple themselves on what they are doing, without communicating anything to users about it.

Reactions: Ladybug

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Hey well i am not your conscience. I'm just saying that everything has a consequence. Doing nothing can have bigger consequences than doing something.

Enjoy your phone. :)

I have been and will be enjoying it with no abandon or shame and will enjoy the rest of them as well for as long as I live.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Some people have batteries that are further degraded than others, so those devices would run slower, which is exactly what Apple has said it is doing.
Oh come on dude, if it takes 2-3 seconds!! to answer the phone when it is ringing then you have a serious problem with that phone. Blaming this on Apple throttling the CPU is just ridiculous. When I'm back from holiday I'll measure how CPU intensive it is to answer a phone call, but I can't imagine it is actually even noticeable considering the circuitry of a phone.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Lol - thanks for proving everyone’s point, throttling iPhones had a double benefit for Apple. They didn’t have to perform warranty work, and they prematurely get people to upgrade.

You ARE the gift that keeps on giving - to my argument, and to Apple’s pocketbook.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows owners to keep using their old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded and the trollosphere goes ballistic. Dozens of threads are created featuring befuddled arguments, while only a few rare threads such as A Battery Scientist's View attempting to actually understand the complexities of lithium-ion batteries and power management algorithms.

I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life. I am happy to pay the relatively high upfront cost to have a device that I can count on to work for me for half a decade without having to micromanage every little system decision along the way. Despite the limits imposed by physics, I truly appreciate the current state of battery technology - it has always been a rather black art to manage miniaturized mobile power, and have not forgotten what a luxury it is to have a pocket size computer always at the ready. This is also the reason that iPhone's have such a high resale value. I fully support Apple's power management decision with overloaded degraded batteries to slowdown my iPhone rather than to let it shutdown.

You are addressing the wrong issue. It does not matter how Apple is trying to mitigate the design flaw in iPhone power management. The important thing is that they screwed up the phone design in a first place. They should be recalling these phones, not updating the algorithms.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Everytime the Springboard stutters, people are going to be wondering, do I need a new battery?
Only the people on this forum that buy phones for the sole purpose of complaining about them will actually think that.

The rest of the world won't even notice, or realize that it's not a big deal at all if they do notice.

Reactions: bobob and Bill91LX

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Lol - thanks for proving everyone’s point, throttling iPhones had a double benefit for Apple. They didn’t have to perform warranty work, and they prematurely get people to upgrade.

You ARE the gift that keeps on giving - to my argument, and to Apple’s pocketbook.

You don’t like apples business practices, that’s fine. Everyone doesn’t place the same importance on this as you and some others. Doesn’t make us right and you wrong. Just isn’t as important to some of us. I’ve read things that everyone should be just as outraged. That Apple is amoral, and literally “evil” for this. Lmao. IMO, people who feel that way need to get some professional help. Or at least realize that they put waaaaay too much importance on a phone, and maybe should get out more.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You don’t like apples business practices, that’s fine. Everyone doesn’t place the same importance on this as you and some others. Doesn’t make us right and you wrong. Just isn’t as important to some of us. I’ve read things that everyone should be just as outraged. That Apple is amoral, and literally “evil” for this. Lmao. IMO, people who feel that way need to get some professional help. Or at least realize that they put waaaaay too much importance on a phone, and maybe should get out more.
You still don’t seem to realise why we pay $1000 for a phone.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I'm surprised that no tech blogs have dug in and done a bit of journalism on whether Android phones with degraded batteries ever throttle or shutdown. They mostly use the same lithium-ion battery technology, so it's hard to believe that they all run as good as new for a full five years. A little research in this area would prove that this story isn't simply orchestrated to cash-in on the guaranteed clickbait of an Apple story.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
How is that an acceptable analogy ? Batteries don't impact performance except with iPhones where Apple introduced s/w code that intentionally slows it down.

My mag flashlight's light is starting to get dim. The battery inside it isn't completely dead so my flashlight should still be shining at 100% brightness until the battery is completely dead. Mag light just wants me to upgrade to their newest flashlight!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
My mag flashlight's light is starting to get dim. The battery inside it isn't completely dead so my flashlight should still be shining at 100% brightness until the battery is completely dead. Mag light just wants me to upgrade to their newest flashlight!

My rechargeable mag flashlight without user changeable battery used to shine 100% for 8h. After the latest sw update it only does 60% for 10h. Mag light just wants me to upgrade to their newest flashlight!

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
My rechargeable mag flashlight without user changeable battery used to shine 100% for 8h. After the latest sw update it only does 60% for 10h. Mag light just wants me to upgrade to their newest flashlight!

During this 10 hour outage, I wish I had a 2-year-old battery equipped flashlight shining at 60% for 10 hours instead of a flashlight that flickered and shined at 100% for 6 hours because I refuse to change my old battery!

Does that work? Who uses their rechargeable flashlight that much to kill it's health that much?

Last edited:

enfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Wait until Apple gives the hystericals what they are asking for......

The Hew and Cry will be, Apples battery life sucks, iPhones are to thick and heavy.

Sometimes I think most people are idiots.... oh Wait! They ARE.

Don't like a dim flashlight? Change the batteries.....
Don't like a slow iPhone? Change the battery......

I hear you. It would be nice to have known that Apple was doing this. I would not have upgraded this year if I had known. Instead I would have just replaced the battery on my old phone.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
My iPad Air launch unit has a heavily used battery that keeps on keepin’ on. I have no idea how it holds a charge properly, never “randomly” shuts down, and performs reasonably well given its age.

If Apple slowed it down a year or two ago for my “best interest”, I would be using a computer that’s much slower than what it is today. This is yet ANOTHER reason I want to see someone challenge big tech about being able to roll back software. It should be illegal to prevent software downgrades on previously available software. This is the true issue that needs to be tackled.

Reactions: Ladybug and enfield

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows owners to keep using their old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded and the trollosphere goes ballistic. Dozens of threads are created featuring befuddled arguments, while only a few rare threads such as A Battery Scientist's View attempting to actually understand the complexities of lithium-ion batteries and power management algorithms.

I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life. I am happy to pay the relatively high upfront cost to have a device that I can count on to work for me for half a decade without having to micromanage every little system decision along the way. Despite the limits imposed by physics, I truly appreciate the current state of battery technology - it has always been a rather black art to manage miniaturized mobile power, and have not forgotten what a luxury it is to have a pocket size computer always at the ready. This is also the reason that iPhone's have such a high resale value. I fully support Apple's power management decision with overloaded degraded batteries to slowdown my iPhone rather than to let it shutdown.
The amazing part is that Apple puts in any thought to older products in the first place, and then people get upset by that unnecessary effort. They could just sell you the phone and then drop all support. The vast majority of Android devices receive few software updates, if any. And of course Android can not manage battery the way Apple does because each hardware vendor has different battery tech. But let’s keep up they myth that Apple wants to sell you a new phone by slowing down the old one, rather than the truth which is that Apple wants to sell you a new phone by making a better model.
[doublepost=1514631097][/doublepost]
I'm surprised that no tech blogs have dug in and done a bit of journalism on whether Android phones with degraded batteries ever throttle or shutdown. They mostly use the same lithium-ion battery technology, so it's hard to believe that they all run as good as new for a full five years. A little research in this area would prove that this story isn't simply orchestrated to cash-in on the guaranteed clickbait of an Apple story.
Forget that. Samsung phones were banned from Airplanes for exploding. I would suggest that Apple has a bit more credibility on the battery front. Also, name one Android phone that gets software updates after 5 years. Android phones are abandoned once they leave the factory. Apple puts in the effort to mitigate shutdowns with older models.

neverloyal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Don't like a dim flashlight? Change the batteries.....
Don't like a slow iPhone? Change the battery......

Seems fair, but Apple didnt let us know that a degraded battery was the reason for throttling, they did not even say they were throttling until after they were pushed.

I would have replaced the battery and kept using my day before ios update fast phone. Instead I got a new one.

As I keep asking, why inform the customer of degraded batteries on the Mac but not on the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.