Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
That's absurd. EVERYONE notices that their older phones seem to get slower and slower. It's the singular thing that the general public WOULD notice. Nobody is complaining because they ran some obscure benchmark and the numbers are low, they are complaining because there is a very noticeable difference in speed.

Wrong. Many people don’t notice. They text the same. Make phone calls the same. Open the wether app the same.

You think cause you’re on a tech forum and everyone is up in arms about this that this extends to the 60 year old lady in Omaha who just wants to get the occasional text from her grandkids. It doesn’t.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Wrong. Many people don’t notice. They text the same. Make phone calls the same. Open the wether app the same.

You think cause you’re on a tech forum and everyone is up in arms about this that this extends to the 60 year old lady in Omaha who just wants to get the occasional text from her grandkids. It doesn’t.
Then just get a One Plus 5T. It does everything you mention. Speed and reliability is why we get iPhones. Performance is of utmost priority to me.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015

I don't read all the drivel on this forum. I talk to regular people and EVERYONE is complaining that their older phones are so laggy that it takes multiple seconds to do many things. You're intentionally trying to reduce the problem to the bare minimum requirements in an effort to explain it away. It's time to get over your cognitive dissonance and accept that this is a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Altis

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Then just get a One Plus 5T. It does everything you mention. Speed and reliability is why we get iPhones. Performance is of utmost priority to me.

And I can appreciate that. I’m just saying that you, and the people who post geekbench scores, are not the normal iPhone user. The normal iPhone user doesn’t care about this issue because they don’t notice it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You're completely out of touch with reality. I don't read all the drivel on this forum. I talk to regular people and EVERYONE is complaining that their older phones are so laggy that it takes multiple seconds to do many things. You're intentionally trying to reduce the problem to the bare minimum requirements in an effort to explain it away. It's time to get over your cognitive dissonance and accept that this is a big problem.
It depends on how old said phone is. If your phone is 2-3 years old I think it’s reasonable to expect some slow down.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You're completely out of touch with reality. I don't read all the drivel on this forum. I talk to regular people and EVERYONE is complaining that their older phones are so laggy that it takes multiple seconds to do many things. You're intentionally trying to reduce the problem to the bare minimum requirements in an effort to explain it away. It's time to get over your cognitive dissonance and accept that this is a big problem.
If it takes multiple seconds to do things don’t you think there is something wrong with your devices? We’ve got a 5s, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, SE and X. Can’t say that any of them exhibit multiple seconds durations for anything.

Reactions: bobob

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
It depends on how old said phone is. If your phone is 2-3 years old I think it’s reasonable to expect some slow down.
Not really. A 2-3 year old phone should perform roughly similar to the day it was purchased when doing the same things. Sure, apps and updates can put more demand on the system, which would slow it down for those things, but basics like texting, touch response, phone calls, and benchmark scores should all stay roughly the same.
[doublepost=1514303860][/doublepost]
If it takes multiple seconds to do things don’t you think there is something wrong with your devices? We’ve got a 5s, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, SE and X. Can’t say that any of them exhibit multiple seconds durations for anything.
Some people have batteries that are further degraded than others, so those devices would run slower, which is exactly what Apple has said it is doing.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Don't like a dim flashlight? Change the batteries.....
Don't like a slow iPhone? Change the battery......
How is that an acceptable analogy ? Batteries don't impact performance except with iPhones where Apple introduced s/w code that intentionally slows it down.

Reactions: Altis

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How is that an acceptable analogy ? Batteries don't impact performance except with iPhones where Apple introduced s/w code that intentionally slows it down.
Well if my it means my phone is just going to shut down in the middle of a task, then I’d say that effects performance.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
No, it's not reasonable nor is it technically accurate. Electronics don't slow down with age. 3 months ago, people who complained that their phones felt slower would have been told to reset it to factory defaults

Reactions: macfacts

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No, it's not reasonable nor is it technically accurate. Electronics don't slow down with age. 3 months ago, people who complained that their phones felt slower would have been told to reset it to factory defaults
If the phone stayed on the same software as at launch then you could expect it to run as it did out of the box but the phone is not static, its gets updated.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
It does suck for others who are effected like this but I upgrade each year with my carrier so I don’t have a dog in this fight.
Yes you do.
In fact you have more dogs in this fight than those who don't upgrade every year because it is new users and upgraders like yourself who enable Apple to get away with this nonsense.

Whatever happened to looking out for others rather than just yourself? As a society, a " Dom Fein" attitude is a very dark path to walk down.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well if my it means my phone is just going to shut down in the middle of a task, then I’d say that effects performance.
But even after 2 years avg battery wear is at around 85% with iPhones. That means you lose around 1 hour tops. This certainly doesn’t merit throttling the CPU thebinstant the Phone is disconnected form the charger.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Yes you do.
In fact you have more dogs in this fight than those who don't upgrade every year because it is new users and upgraders like yourself who enable Apple to get away with this nonsense.

Whatever happened to looking out for others rather than just yourself? As a society, a " Dom Fein" attitude is a very dark path to walk down.

I respect your opinion but disagree. This isn’t social justice it’s just a phone and I didn’t enable anything. You chose to buy an iPhone with your money.

I choose to buy what I want. This is not my battle at all. Have a good day.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I respect your opinion but disagree. This isn’t social justice it’s just a phone and I didn’t enable anything. You chose to buy an iPhone with your money.

I choose to buy what I want. This is not my battle at all. Have a good day.
Hey well i am not your conscience. I'm just saying that everything has a consequence. Doing nothing can have bigger consequences than doing something.

Enjoy your phone. :)

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Yes you do.

LMFAO. Now it’s this guys fault cause he likes his iPhone and doesn’t care about this issue? It’s HIS responsibility to help YOU get what you want??

I’ve seen some unhinged, triggered posts, but you clearly take the prize.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
LMFAO. Now it’s this guys fault cause he likes his iPhone and doesn’t care about this issue? It’s HIS responsibility to help YOU get what you want??

I’ve seen some unhinged, triggered posts, but you clearly take the prize.

I didn't comment with regards to him not having a problem with the issue, nor would i. I commented that he does have a dog in the game and that it is the biggest dog of all because it is buyers who influence Apple. Not users.

It is an important point and one being said ad-infinitum by many users and mods etc on this forum.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
How many iPhone owners do you think even know, or care about this issue? If it really bothers you, then just go buy something else. You’re not going to change how Apple operates by posting here. And, I highly suspect that the large majority of those who are so upset about this will buy the next iPhone next year too.
You've rationalize it very well. If you don't like it, get out. No possible other option, right?

Your response reminds of a classic movie scene...

Reactions: tech4all

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
You've rationalize it very well. If you don't like it, get out. No possible other option, right?

Your response reminds of a classic movie scene...

I’ve rationalized it very well because it’s RATIONAL. And, no...there’s no other possible option. Are you really thinking that complaining about this on an Internet forum is going to change what the richest company in the world does? Seriously, what is your end game here? What do you expect to change because you’re upset?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I’ve rationalized it very well because it’s RATIONAL. And, no...there’s no other possible option. Are you really thinking that complaining about this on an Internet forum is going to change what the richest company in the world does? Seriously, what is your end game here? What do you expect to change because you’re upset?
In here alone? Nope. But over the last year or two, the pressure from MANY places has gotten Apple to ...
  1. Divulge future Mac Pro activity
  2. Create the monstrosity that is the iMac Pro
  3. In response to the backlash from the touch Bar MBP release - Admit they really aren't abandoning the Pro market, in spite of their actions
But you can continue living in the bubble.

Reactions: tech4all

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life.
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee but here goes.
If you tend to keep your phone for a full 5 years, then that means that at best you are only on your third phone? iPhone was released June of 2007. Buy one then, then buy one June of 2012, then buy one June 2017 so at this point, 10.5 years later you should only be on your third.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows owners to keep using their old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded and the trollosphere goes ballistic. Dozens of threads are created featuring befuddled arguments, while only a few rare threads such as A Battery Scientist's View attempting to actually understand the complexities of lithium-ion batteries and power management algorithms.

I usually keep my iPhones for a full 5 years and appreciate the fact that Apple provides me with system and security updates throughout the product's entire life. I am happy to pay the relatively high upfront cost to have a device that I can count on to work for me for half a decade without having to micromanage every little system decision along the way. Despite the limits imposed by physics, I truly appreciate the current state of battery technology - it has always been a rather black art to manage miniaturized mobile power, and have not forgotten what a luxury it is to have a pocket size computer always at the ready. This is also the reason that iPhone's have such a high resale value. I fully support Apple's power management decision with overloaded degraded batteries to slowdown my iPhone rather than to let it shutdown.

I prefer my phone to be snappy and responsive than slow, because a new battery will solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.