Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I expect this to be like the first iPhone launch. Unveil.... Ooooos and Aaaaahhhhs, and won't be shipping until 6 months later. That's ok with me, I rather them come out with a killer device than "just another one of them watches".

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I'm starting to think this may not even be a watch...think fitbit, but with more advanced biometric sensors and built in NFC.

tcm1975

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I'm happy that those in media with pretty solid track records keeping referring to it as a "wearable" and not a watch. Still putting my money on Apples take on the Fitbit.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
There weren't really that many (if any at all) leaks of the original iPhone, iPad, new Mac Pro, etc. They keep it locked down in Cupertino to stop leaks, announce it, then release later.

I'm sure we had new Mac Pro leaks though? But then again that was different as they announced it so far ahead of its launch. I can't remember the original iPad and iPhone. I do remember the endless iPod leaks we used to get though. So yeah it could be.

I think all we will get is an iPhone but then I think why would they build an entire new structure for the event, if it wasn't for something major that we haven't seen from Apple before?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I would believe this rumor if only any of the sources gave a valid and logical reason for why Apple would talk now but not release for a few months. There is one and it's not production issues etc.

Not one of these sources has mentioned the FCC. This wristband is allegedly going to have bluetooth, gps etc in it. That means it would have to clear the FCC before it can be sold. And once it goes for that step it will be leaked because FCC paperwork is totally public. Just like with the iPhone and the iPad, Apple would announce first and then submit the final review paperwork because they hate for anyone else to announce their stuff.

Mentioning this detail would show that they actually thought about the issue and weren't just tossing out random notions and CYA rumors

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This will give Samsung a few month to copy it! Lol. Don't worry, Samsung will release another 5 smartwatches before the iWatch even launches...they are already at 7, I believe.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
I would believe this rumor if only any of the sources gave a valid and logical reason for why Apple would talk now but not release for a few months. There is one and it's not production issues etc.

Not one of these sources has mentioned the FCC. This wristband is allegedly going to have bluetooth, gps etc in it. That means it would have to clear the FCC before it can be sold. And once it goes for that step it will be leaked because FCC paperwork is totally public. Just like with the iPhone and the iPad, Apple would announce first and then submit the final review paperwork because they hate for anyone else to announce their stuff.

Mentioning this detail would show that they actually thought about the issue and weren't just tossing out random notions and CYA rumors

This is true for almost all Apple products though, and Apple has been rather successful at keeping the FCC report witheld until the product is announced. The most likely reason Apple is announcing this early is probably twofold:

1) It is a new product category, so they don't have to worry about cannibalization of the previous generation of the device. This is why they will never announce a new iPhone or iPad 3-6 months in advance. With a new product category however, they can build buzz, don't have to worry about part leaks stealing their thunder, and can get a better gauge on demand.

2) Freezing the market. Motorola/LG/Samsung all have announced and/or already sell wearables. By announcing the "iWatch" now, they effectively freeze the purchase of these competing devices - especially over the holiday period.

Crazy4applev2

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
calm down

Maybe the iWatch needs FCC approval and Apple wants to show it off before the FCC "leaks" it. It's not like the demand for wearables is gangbusters at the moment so even if it's released early next year, no big deal.:cool:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Developers could use the lead time to get apps ready once the device details are made public.

There are several good reason for announcing it early and developer time is a good one.

1. Developer need lead time for apps

2. They might need FCC approval (depending on what the device can do) which will cause detailed leaks (this was one of the big reason to show the unfinished unstable iPhone so early)

3. And personally: I like to spread those big purchase (unlocked iPhone 6 and iWatch) a few weeks/month apart (won't 'feel' that expensive than - even though it is the same amount of money)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Sounds like you would like macfacts.com

I like Macrumors, I'm just tired of contradicting iWatch rumors within a few hours of each other. I'm sure there are better rumors to post than the same old stuff.

BTW, the link you sent me is a good site for reference information. I'll keep the link, thanks!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
2) Freezing the market. Motorola/LG/Samsung all have announced and/or already sell wearables. By announcing the "iWatch" now, they effectively freeze the purchase of these competing devices - especially over the holiday period.
Seems to me this is wishful thinking. Plus if these devices aren't cross platform (Apple's certainly won't be; Samsung's haven't been so far) does it really matter? I can't see anyone making a decision on a new phone based on what wearable it can be paired with.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
I'm calling it...

...the wearable device will have a feature NO ONE has predicted to this point:
Find my iPhone!!!

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I don't believe it. Apple won't announce something that (potentially) innovative that won't go on sale until after the holidays. If they did, a certain side effect is people not spending money on Apple products during the holidays because they can't justify that kind of one-two punch. They will hold off on a tech gizmo at Christmas in favor of what they already know exists and will be for sale later.

It'll either be announced and go on sale in time for the holidays, or they won't announce it yet.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Important for everyone to realize that the iWatch is only an accessory and not a stand alone device as some are thinking.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I expect this to be like the first iPhone launch. Unveil.... Ooooos and Aaaaahhhhs, and won't be shipping until 6 months later. That's ok with me, I rather them come out with a killer device than "just another one of them watches".

That's a good point, but one difference was that Apple's most lucrative season - the holidays - didn't pass by during that announcement-to-sale window.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
This is true for almost all Apple products though, and Apple has been rather successful at keeping the FCC report witheld until the product is announced. The most likely reason Apple is announcing this early is probably twofold:

1) It is a new product category, so they don't have to worry about cannibalization of the previous generation of the device. This is why they will never announce a new iPhone or iPad 3-6 months in advance. With a new product category however, they can build buzz, don't have to worry about part leaks stealing their thunder, and can get a better gauge on demand.

I agree with these, plus the need to unveil before roadshowing the actual device to the FDA, insurance companies, medical professionals if the stories of medical monitoring are to be believed. Those people would definitely out the device.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Probably too late for the "as long as it's done right, I don't care how long it takes" argument, right?

Which is also very twisted logic since most Apple iFans buy the newest product regardless of how old their other device is anyway. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.