Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
...the wearable device will have a feature NO ONE has predicted to this point:
Find my iPhone!!!

You'd have to be pretty dense to expect a GPS pinpoint of your device while also being within the allowable range of bluetooth for it to send such a signal.

Kikko

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
I would believe this rumor if only any of the sources gave a valid and logical reason for why Apple would talk now but not release for a few months. There is one and it's not production issues etc.

Not one of these sources has mentioned the FCC. This wristband is allegedly going to have bluetooth, gps etc in it. That means it would have to clear the FCC before it can be sold. And once it goes for that step it will be leaked because FCC paperwork is totally public. Just like with the iPhone and the iPad, Apple would announce first and then submit the final review paperwork because they hate for anyone else to announce their stuff.

Mentioning this detail would show that they actually thought about the issue and weren't just tossing out random notions and CYA rumors

If the wearable is more of an iPhone accessory rather than a stand alone product as claimed, it's perfectly logical for apple to delay release until after the holiday season...this way iPhone sales are fueled by the promise of it's synergy with the "iWatch" instead of the wearable potentially cannibalizing those precious (and limited) holiday dollars.

If the average iPhone buyer can only afford one time holiday spending sufficient to buy or upgrade to a new iPhone, then there isn't cash left in their wallet to fuel massive purchases of the "iWatch" as well.

Release it after the holiday period and you maximize sales of the iPhone because the already announced "iWatch" requires Bluetooth connection to an iPhone, the instal base of iPhone users is thus increased...leading to higher potential sales of the "iWatch" a few months after the holidays when customers disposable income has had a chance to rebuild.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
This will give Samsung a few month to copy it! Lol. Don't worry, Samsung will release another 5 smartwatches before the iWatch even launches...they are already at 7, I believe.

I think this is the problem with announcing the iWatch too soon before it goes on sale. Unlike the Mac Pro, there are too many competitors in the same space, and most if not all of the features of the iWatch will be available in competitors products, possibly at lower price points.

Apple fans should be thanking Samsung for their 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' approach to new products. Samsung is doing market research for Apple without costing Apple a dime. And like it or not, there are Samsung innovations that end up in Apple products.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds like you would like macfacts.com

They should seriously do this. Every other day the story changes here. I don't even post as much because I feel that I'm wasting my time. I also visit Android sites and thoses rumors/leaks actually turn out to be true. Here their throwing crap at the wall hoping for something to stick.
Even after all the announcements are over with the entire cycle starts over again. I wonder how many countless post were made over Apple TV? Just a waste of time.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
With no existing Apple product of its type to see sales plummet ahead of a launch, Apple has more flexibility to announce early and ship somewhat later.

I'd say it has less to do with flexibility than with Apple remaining in control of the message. Once a new product enters production, the leaks in the manufacturing supply chain start. At that point, fragmentary information and rumors would define the product instead of Apple.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
That's how they roll. Just like with the iPhone, iPad, 2013 Mac Pro, or iOS 7 - the product is announced early with minimal if any leaks, and is released a few months later. Leaks come from the supply chain, not Cupertino.

Lol @ comparing a software launch like iOS to hardware

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There was a sudden and unexpected shift from calling this a watch to a "wearable device". I've noticed this across many tech news outlets. Interesting.

As some of us have been saying for months now, it should never have been called a "watch" in first place, since no information ever really supported that concept. The more circumspect media sources generally called it "wearable tech," which also happened to be the most specific information we can say came from a source at Apple (Tim Cook). For nearly a year now MR was leading the charge for calling it a watch and treating the name "iWatch" as little less than a certainty. Only in the last week have they backed off.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Either way, the announcement is more what I'm excited for. We can wait for Apple to do it properly.

I'm excited to see how Apple will somehow make me want this... They are good at that

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There are several good reason for announcing it early and developer time is a good one.

1. Developer need lead time for apps

2. They might need FCC approval (depending on what the device can do) which will cause detailed leaks (this was one of the big reason to show the unfinished unstable iPhone so early)

3. And personally: I like to spread those big purchase (unlocked iPhone 6 and iWatch) a few weeks/month apart (won't 'feel' that expensive than - even though it is the same amount of money)
Add to your list:
4. Discourage consumers from buying competing products during the holiday season.​

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Called it.
This is how Cook has been doubling down.

It never had anything to do with keeping iPhone supplies on a tight leash. That's a fools errand.

This was about keeping new products under wrap, announcing them before they even go into production and perhaps even making some of these products in Apple controlled factories in the USA.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Called it.
This is how Cook has been doubling down.

It never had anything to do with keeping iPhone supplies on a tight leash. That's a fools errand.

This was about keeping new products under wrap, announcing them before they even go into production and perhaps even making some of these products in Apple controlled factories in the USA.

If Cook manages to keep the iWatch under wraps all the way up until Sept 9, then it would be a massive achievement. Even with the original iPhone there were design leaks (and if I remember a picture of the front?) weeks before it came out. There has been absolutely nothing concrete as far as the iWatch goes, just speculation.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
If ever there was a product that needed to be previewed for later release, this is it. As a biometric tool it needs to work flawlessly and consistantly.
They really do need to have it in the hands of health professionals in beta before they ever meet a customer's wrist. The device really needs to be in the hands of trainers and developers to iron out the kinks before customers. The device really does need an sdk in the hands of developers as early as possible to have as much functionality out of the box when it hits stores.
Delaying the release to check for bugs would be a great move for so many reasons.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
If Cook manages to keep the iWatch under wraps all the way up until Sept 9, then it would be a massive achievement. Even with the original iPhone there were design leaks (and if I remember a picture of the front?) weeks before it came out. There has been absolutely nothing concrete as far as the iWatch goes, just speculation.

The whole thing was a marketing ploy. Claim its a secret and then leak details so everyone feels special when they find out these details.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I don't think so, I think Late november or December. They wouldn't want to miss out on bumper christmas sales.

If it went on sale in early December, that would leave a three month gap (Greater gap than between iPad announcement and iPad going on sale) and therefore plenty of time for it to go into production and get FCC approval.

I think the reverse is true. Introducing all their best stuff before the holidays is hurting sales because few people have the funds to buy an iPhone, an iPad and iWatch AND still have money left over to buy presents.

If they space it out, customers won't have to sacrifice one to get another and the likelihood that they'll buy all 3 increases. Also, they dilute their marketing... iPad will get drowned out by the iPhone noise and some may wait to upgrade their iPhone to get the iWatch.

There are other benefits to spacing out their launches including increased foot and online traffic and giving their competitors less breathing room.

Steve Jobs understood this but Tim Cook clearly doesn't and I really don't get this asinine strategy of staying quiet for 9 months and cramming everything into one season.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Apple VR Headset

I think this watch/band thing is going to be OK as an iPhone add on... but I also think Apple is planning to beat Sony and Oculus to the punch with their own VR Headset! Boom! It's a brand new product segment, could be the "TV done right" Steve was always talking about and it's a massive game changer... :eek:

R0bert

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2005
I'm happy that those in media with pretty solid track records keeping referring to it as a "wearable" and not a watch. Still putting my money on Apples take on the Fitbit.

attachment.php

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Not really. You are thinking of products already in production. Nobody really knew anything significant about the iPhone or iPad until they were announced because neither was in production yet.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Lol @ comparing a software launch like iOS to hardware

LOL @ not understanding that my point was to discredit the idea that a product doesn't exist because there are no leaks. Also, you don't mention all of the hardware examples I made. iOS 7 was a major redesign and there were no visual leaks. The iPhone had very few visual leaks and the iPad wasn't leaked until the night before launch. The point is that the lack of leaks doesn't prove a thing. If anything, it corroborates this rumor that a device is to be announced and shipped later. Unless a device is in mass production, Apple can keep a secret.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is true for almost all Apple products though, and Apple has been rather successful at keeping the FCC report witheld until the product is announced.

Actually they haven't. Most of their products are just updates thus no one is really looking for information and the reason why the new products appear to have been 'withheld' until the announcement is that they announced early.

Phil13503

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
I think the Slogan is "Wish we could say more"
can be that the watch wasn't ready so show/talk about!!!

I think is kind of an apology already. :(

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Do we ever just...get there?

I mean....everything is always coming. Its never actually here.

I'm still waiting for half of the API's introduced in iOS 6 to actually be used by developers.

Huge promises, very few real products, stagnation everywhere.

iOS 8's Health Kit and Home Kit.....tiny stepping stones. Needs iWatch to be actually useful. iOS 9 will be out for any 3rd party products begin to take advantage of iOS 8....

The MFI spec is amazing...yet there are no products. Cheap knock off game controllers...and no real titles.

App Store has stagnated big time. Apple's API's with limitless possibilities give way to Flappy Bird clones.

Not liking some of these trends I'm seeing. Rant over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.