Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Add to your list:
4. Discourage consumers from buying competing products during the holiday season.​

Who in their right mind is holding off on buying a competing product if they own an iPhone when it wouldn't even function?

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

While Apple is expected to unveil its new wearable device, popularly referred to as the iWatch, at its media event scheduled for September 9, the device will likely not begin shipping until early next year, according to Re/code.Word of a significant gap between unveiling and launch is not a surprise, considering the company's history when entering new product segments. The iPhone and iPad both launched a number of months after their unveilings. With no existing Apple product of its type to see sales plummet ahead of a launch, Apple has more flexibility to announce early and ship somewhat later.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is among those who recently reported that a 2015 launch is likely for the iWatch, also having predicted last month that production on the device would not begin until November. Part leaks for the device have also been non-existent, supporting the notion that production has not yet begun.

Apple's September 9 event is expected to focus on the iPhone 6, with the iWatch sharing the stage. Early rumors had suggested Apple was looking to show off the iWatch in October, but it may have altered its plans to better position the device as an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone product.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Wearable Device Not Likely to Ship Until Early 2015

They won't even reference it. "I wish we could say more".

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Makes sense... I think everyone expected a launch delay since it's a new Apple product.
It's true they often did it with entirely new product lines but the situation here is a bit different. There are many competitors out there trying to get into wearables with many products already shipping and if the lead time between the announcement and the actual availability is too long it will give the others time to copy whatever Apple will show.

I don't think so, I think Late november or December. They wouldn't want to miss out on bumper christmas sales.

If it went on sale in early December, that would leave a three month gap (Greater gap than between iPad announcement and iPad going on sale) and therefore plenty of time for it to go into production and get FCC approval.
I'm sure they are not doing this entirely by choice (if this rumor is true that is). There have been multiple rumors of production issues and this would be the only reason to delay the launch to 2015 as opposed to, say, early December.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
LOL, I knew some genius was going to make a comment like yours.
Congratulations to you.

What I was trying to say is that I want meaningful rumors, not the same iWatch crap.

The recent rumors have not been the same iWatch crap. Three very reliable sources have now said they iWatch (or whatever it will be called) will debut 9/9 and at least two of those sources said it will not release until 2015.

All of those rumors are relatively recent and likely accurate. What they need to stop recycling are all of the absolutely hideous mockups. Awful stuff. Part photos are great, photo-shopped crap from fans is pointless and confuses people who aren't paying attention.

nealeholl

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
Not sure this is going to work out well for Apple

I'm as excited as anyone about the iWatch, and I hope it's brilliant and well executed. But then I think about wearing one all day...I don't want to wear something on both wrists, i don't want to wear it next to my current watch, and I'm certainly not going to give up my beautiful individual bit of Swiss style and engineering for a ubiquitous bit of tech worn by everyone else.

Which brings me to another point...I'm sure the ubiquity of the iPhone is due in no small part to the phone companies subsidising the phones so that self-deluding punters like me can pretend "I got it free from Orange". This looks like it's going to be a more expensive piece of kit than you average iPod - how many people are going to pay a full unsubsidised price for it?

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Oooh! quit it with the dumb rumors. It will come when it comes.
I just hate it when expectations build and then break down. :mad:

Learn this and you won't have to break down next time:

No production leak = no production started = later ship date

As soon as Apple start production the leaks are a sure thing. Just look at the massive amount of iPhone 6 leaks. When they want to keep something secret they have to unveil it before they start the production and thus the ship date is months away.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
You'll get one, Apple won't miss that enormous shopping window.

Not so sure about that, I think Re/code has good sources. Maybe Apple need until 2015 and will miss the holiday season, but by announcing it now they at least make it hard for competitors this season.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Learn this and you won't have to break down next time:

No production leak = no production started = later ship date

As soon as Apple start production the leaks are a sure thing. Just look at the massive amount of iPhone 6 leaks. When they want to keep something secret they have to unveil it before they start the production and thus the ship date is months away.

The iWatch rumors are already getting in my nerves! :mad:

What you said Is so true... The more people involved, the harder to keep the secret.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Apple have already said that 2014 would have the greatest product lineup in 20 years. That is - greater than 2010(iPad), 2007(iPhone), 2001(iPod) and 1998(iMac).

I really don't thing they meant the addition of a small speed bump to their laptops, a bigger screen on their phones and Touch ID to the iPad. That lineup would debatably be one of their poorest years.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple have already said that 2014 would have the greatest product lineup in 20 years. That is - greater than 2010(iPad), 2007(iPhone), 2001(iPod) and 1998(iMac).

I really don't thing they meant the addition of a small speed bump to their laptops, a bigger screen on their phones and Touch ID to the iPad. That lineup would debatably be one of their poorest years.

Yea its true that Eddy Cue and Tim Cook said that, however I can't see Apple announcing anything other, than the iPhone 6 and possibly the iWatch. The iPads and new Macs will probably be announced at a separate event in October/November.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast

Hopefully the iWatch will be the most revolutionary, since it will practically be a part of our bodies it has the potential to completely change our lifestyles. Maybe not in the first generation but in the future wearables will most likely be independent devices much more powerful than anything we could imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.