Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is anyone else having this issue?

• Total voters

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I have been having this issue for a few days now, hard restarting and re-downloading does not fix the issue. When you try and manually update an app it just gets stuck at installing and they never finish.

4fj1e.png

2hyfds8.png

21axudy.png

x4gf4g.png

If anyone else has any ideas to fix this, or have had the same issues please post below.

Thank-you,

Shawn

Reactions: fabsgwu

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has been happening here and there since the iOS 9 beta days. Best thing is to delete the app (sometimes from the manage storage screen in settings) and reinstall it again (possibly with a reboot in-between those steps).

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
Apps have been getting stuck "installing" for me on iOS 9 almost on a daily basis (iPhone 6 & iPad Mini 2). I have hundreds of apps installed (currently 400+), I would say it happens about 1 out of 8 updates. Deleting from "manage storage" in the General Settings and re-installing seems to work, but the stalled updates still occur regularly.

Last week I did a fresh install and restore of 9.1, but the issue started happening again a couple days later. Frequently the install progress graph stalls around the 2/3 mark, and sometimes at the open circle "O" like the screenshot from the top of this post. I will say this is better than what I was experiencing in last couple months of iOS 8 during app updates: iOS would crash/black screen and re-start within 20 or 30 seconds.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Yeah... I've had this problem with iOS 9 from the get go... 9.1 improved it a bit... But still. Usually rebooting fixes it for me.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Even after a respring?
Yeah it didn't make a difference. I continue having problems with updates installing. I'm even having problems with installing new apps. Sometimes I have to tap "install" two or three times to get the app to install. And sometimes it takes a very long time after the download completes.

I'm hoping an update will fix all this.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm loosing my mind. No it does not matter how many times you restart/respring. It also is broken on both the dev beta and the public version even after last nights updates.

eba9c99ead8834a88b07f0421946723a.jpg

pdoobs

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
i'm having this issue on an iphone 6s that was setup new when i got it. it's happening every 4 or so updates that i install. only way to delete app is going through setting and then restarting the phone. even when doing this process of deleting my app store app continues to show a notification bubble for the update but the app isn't located under the "update" section. i seriously can't believe this big of a bug isn't getting more run, we can't be the only people experiencing this crap regularly.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
i'm having this issue on an iphone 6s that was setup new when i got it. it's happening every 4 or so updates that i install. only way to delete app is going through setting and then restarting the phone. even when doing this process of deleting my app store app continues to show a notification bubble for the update but the app isn't located under the "update" section. i seriously can't believe this big of a bug isn't getting more run, we can't be the only people experiencing this crap regularly.

Yes it happens to me all the time. It's gotten worse since I updated to iOS 9.1 on my 6S. It drives me crazy. I usually have to delete the app or reboot. I use to have an issue where it would not even move a sliver of the download. I contacted Apple about that and they said this was the first time they heard of this. Hopefully someone from Apple is reading this thread.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I've had this a few times (iPhone 6, iOS 9).

I have found if I open up the "App Store" app, go to the "Updates" tab, the offending apps are listed there and the 'blue circle' hasn't completed. If I click on the 'blue circle' icon (that shows the "progress" - or lack thereof) this stops the download and the "Update" button appears again - if I click then on the "Update" button, the installation usually goes through.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I've had this a few times (iPhone 6, iOS 9).

I have found if I open up the "App Store" app, go to the "Updates" tab, the offending apps are listed there and the 'blue circle' hasn't completed. If I click on the 'blue circle' icon (that shows the "progress" - or lack thereof) this stops the download and the "Update" button appears again - if I click then on the "Update" button, the installation usually goes through.

I wish that worked. I have to restart my phone for it to download.

Crazychic

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
United Kingdom

Im using a iphone4s im having the worst with ios 9.0.1 i cant stop it to restart it or reset it , i cant even delete it then wait to get the 9.0.2 update im a apple newbie so its bugging more as im not clued up yet with it lol G_Luck in sorting yours

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Still messes up on the latest 9.2 beta 4. When you hard reset the apps that were stuck installing just delete themselves and disappear...

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Still messes up on the latest 9.2 beta 4. When you hard reset the apps that were stuck installing just delete themselves and disappear...

I just contacted apple support and they didn't have any known issues with this problem. I know that's not true because I see people on here and even on the apple forums with the same issues. She suggested deleting recent apps that could have affected this. Also to restore my phone which I don't want to do as I don't believe it will fix the issue. I really hope the public version of 9.2 fixes this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just contacted apple support and they didn't have any known issues with this problem. I know that's not true because I see people on here and even on the apple forums with the same issues. She suggested deleting recent apps that could have affected this. Also to restore my phone which I don't want to do as I don't believe it will fix the issue. I really hope the public version of 9.2 fixes this.
I could be recalling it wrong, but I think there was even some fix related to updating/installing apps listed in the 9.1 release notes, so that means they would know about this issue.

pituin

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
It happens to my iPad 2 on iOS 9.0.2. Seeing that 9.1 still doesn't fix it, I'm not risking my jailbreak. I'll keep rebooting, but it happens every day.

The5thElephant

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Not only does this happen still (consistently happens with Pinterest app for example) it also screws up the app in your Settings. So even if I am able to successfully delete the app, there is a blank app icon in Settings that cannot be removed.

Get your **** together Apple, this is embarassing.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Not only does this happen still (consistently happens with Pinterest app for example) it also screws up the app in your Settings. So even if I am able to successfully delete the app, there is a blank app icon in Settings that cannot be removed.

Get your **** together Apple, this is embarassing.
It's driving me crazy

Also it just deletes the apps after hard resetting

schmegs

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Burbank, CA
This has happened to me since around 8.4. I'm on 9.1 now, and it still happens. I have a 6 with 128GB and lots of apps installed (and lots of app updates daily).

A few things I do (other than swearing at my phone and cursing Apple on a daily basis):
1. If I turn off Bluetooth before updating (one app at a time, always), I can usually get through a good chunk, if not all the app updates without having to restart (or only doing it once).
2. If an app "updated" and is left with the cloud icon in the updates list (and a partial install on the home screen), I stop updates, note the app, and restart (I don't usually do a hard reset to avoid the off-chance of damaging any open files. I just turn off normally and turn back on.). After restarting, the app is usually gone from the home screen and, usually, the update list. I find it in the app store and re-download it. If that works (usually it does), the app's data and spot in my folders is usually preserved. Then I continue with updates.

I usually repeat step 2 multiple times a day. Very frustrating and time-consuming, and I hate Apple for it. I reported this to them months ago when I had this problem on 8.4. I set up the phone from scratch, and when that didn't help, they eventually replaced my phone under warranty. Still have the same problem...

NedFlanders

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
I have been having this issue for some time now (sometime after joining the iOS 9 Public Beta). I have used many of the workarounds mentioned above, but some apps have slipped through the cracks due to auto update and not noticing them buried in folders etc.

I must have missed some of the hung apps and after a few cold boots all that is left is a blank white icon with no app name in Settings > General > Storage... I have deleted all of the lost apps, but I have no clue what apps are missing until I go looking for it I guess.

I have turned off auto update so that I can monitor each updated as they happen.

Maybe Apple needs a new catch saying? "Sometimes it just doesn't work!"

Hopefully they get this fixed soon (I am currently on Beta 9.2 on two of my iDevices)

Last edited:

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
This was a huge issue on 9.0.x, but is much less frequent on 9.1. When I've had the issue, I would see multiple downloads for the same app occurring. The only way to clear it up was to do this:

iPhone:
Go to App Store updates, press app (expands text) press app again to go to App Store page for that app, cancel the download here (not the original update page) - it will take one time for each of the multiple download threads active.

iPad:
Go to updates, purchased (you may have to scroll down to see it), search for app, press it to open app storae page, cancel download here - it will take one time for each download thread.

Until you do this, you will also suffer from most of you storage being consumed. Something like MS Word with a 250 MB update can take 600+ (250 for each download) until storage is exhausted.

If you're suffering, I strongly suggest shutting off auto updates and updating a small block at a time. I also recommend going to 9.1, is it's much rarer to occur on it. Once I got to 9.1, I re-enabled auto update on all my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.