Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is anyone else having this issue?

• Total voters

bntj99

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Wisconsin
I have the same problem with my iPhone 6 plus. I think it has to do with e-mail or notifications. I could be wrong, but it happens to me when I am updating an app and I get notifications of new e-mails, the apps get stuck installing or I just get the down load cloud. I have started opening up my e-mail app (apple mail app) and downloading all mail and then I update my apps and have not had a problem since. On my iPad 3 I do not have this problem, as I do not use it for e-mail. Both are on iOS 9.2 and I manually update both and I do not use automatic updates.
Edit: I no long have the iPad 3, its now my wife's. She bought me a new iPad air 2 128gig for Xmas and I set it up with my e-mail accounts. I will update if I have the same problem with it as with my iPhone 6 plus.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Have any of you guys noticed apps reinstalling by themselves for no reason, without any updates issued for them? Unsure if it's related but I'm getting those too now. And they reinstall very very slowly, as if hung.

EDIT: Should add this is happening with apps that were already recently updated. It's like they are updating all over again but this time much slower.

Last edited:

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
My 5S with 8.4.1 is having this issue. App updates paused for more than an hour. 2 Apps were unable to install the updates

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Noticing this on my iPhone 6 running 9.2.1 Beta 1, but had been doing this since the iOS 9 betas in the summer, fixed itself, then returned. Not sure if it's device-side or server-side. I have to delete the app in Settings since I can't from Springboard, then redownload the app

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Manually pausing and redownloading on App Store worked, although the downloads were extremely slow, and even paused again sometimes.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Have any of you guys noticed apps reinstalling by themselves for no reason, without any updates issued for them? Unsure if it's related but I'm getting those too now. And they reinstall very very slowly, as if hung.

EDIT: Should add this is happening with apps that were already recently updated. It's like they are updating all over again but this time much slower.
Yep, I had an app update this morning, that had already updated yesterday. It was the same version, so I know that it wasn't just a bug fix. I have had this happen before, but didn't pay attention to the version number, and just assumed that the dev had rolled out a quick bug fix, but since both updates were within 24 hours of each other, I doubt it was another update.

Timmeh8604

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
So glad I'm not the only one. Just recently started for me on 9.2. Today I had a 40mb Best Buy update. The loading circle would appear but would never load. When I got to work and got on wifi it did the same thing. I was on the updates page at this point. I clicked on the app update to bring up the app description and then pressed update and magically it did it. My YouTube has been acting up lately as well and I've had to do a few hard reboots to get things to work. I'm using a 6S plus.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
So glad I'm not the only one. Just recently started for me on 9.2. Today I had a 40mb Best Buy update. The loading circle would appear but would never load. When I got to work and got on wifi it did the same thing. I was on the updates page at this point. I clicked on the app update to bring up the app description and then pressed update and magically it did it. My YouTube has been acting up lately as well and I've had to do a few hard reboots to get things to work. I'm using a 6S plus.
Yep, Best Buy was the app that did the double update for me. I'm starting to wonder if app thinning has something to do with this, because the problem started at about the same time that app thinning was introduced in the app store.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Guess what people. Look what now happens on the 4 gen Apple TV I just noticed this morning

2e7761fcb98d10c4f7631195fb1ada94.jpg

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
This is becoming a real nuisance. It used to be an infrequent thing, but lately this is a regularly occurring issue. Really frustrating, especially if you need to use the app stuck in this loading state.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Everyone please go to www.bugreport.apple.com and file a bug report for iOS as well as tvos using above attached images

A developer account is not required to fill out bug reports

Thank-you for your help in reporting this disturbing issue

bntj99

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
Wisconsin
Maybe this will help? copied from BGR http://bgr.com/2016/01/01/iphone-slow-trick-speed-up/

Developer Zachary Drayer recently explained the trick on Twitter, and it’s so weird that it’s unlikely most people know about it. I’ve been using iPhones for years, and I had no idea about this hidden App Store app trick.

It’s not clear exactly why Apple included this hidden trick, but apparently quickly tapping on any of the buttons at the bottom of the screen while in the App Store 10 times in a row will do wonders for your iPhone. Just make sure you press the same button 10 times.

The screen will go blank after you’ve performed this little trick, and the phone’s App Store cache will be reset. Apparently, the phone’s temporary storage is emptied after 10 taps on the same icon, and this wizardry works across several of Apple’s apps. According to the developer, the trick works in iTunes, iBooks, App Store and the Apple Watch app, but not in Podcasts, Music, Game Center, iMessage or Phone.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
So far iOS 9.2.1 developer beta 2 (came out today) seems to finally fix the installing issue. I will post again if I see apps not installing or updating. Post here your results

Edit:

No iOS 9.2.1 dev beta 2 does not fix the installation or updating issues.

ac5b65d73ae0a048f56996e855835008.jpg

687e2480bb2683aeb0c5c01255faac1d.jpg

Last edited:

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Update: apps and app updates now install properly on iOS 9.3 beta 1 thus far (day 1). I'll let you know if that changes

Edit: 9.3 beta 1 still has installation issues

Last edited:
Reactions: elmas1980

elmas1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2016
Update: apps and app updates now install properly on iOS 9.3 beta 1 thus far (day 1). I'll let you know if that changes

Edit: 9.3 beta 1 still has installation issues
Same... 9.3 beta 1 and app-stucking is still going on!!! I am fed up...

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
ugh. this is happening on my ipad on 9.2. i went for a few weeks where there was NOTHING i could do about a few apps that refused to update, and refused to re-download after deleting.

i feel like i'm complaining a lot on these forums, and maybe i just have terrible luck, but i seem to run into every glitch in the book to the point where it feels like *nothing* on these devices work without issues anymore.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
ugh. this is happening on my ipad on 9.2. i went for a few weeks where there was NOTHING i could do about a few apps that refused to update, and refused to re-download after deleting.

i feel like i'm complaining a lot on these forums, and maybe i just have terrible luck, but i seem to run into every glitch in the book to the point where it feels like *nothing* on these devices work without issues anymore.

That's what these forums are for, to ask for help. So it's fine

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Dev iOS 9.3 beta 1.1 - apps and updates and TestFlight apps seem to be installing fine on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 so far I'll post here if that changes

Update: Nope apps still don't install correctly

2150e13395b39220a0220bde91f254b2.jpg

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Got an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 on the latest iOS and have no issues with the phone but occasionally my iPad does it. Reboot it and when its started up the app in question has been removed from the screen so i have to go back to the App Store, download it again and its fine.

Seems to happen more often when i actually do the updates rather than letting them happen automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.