Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macux

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
Buyer logic?

StarbucksSam said:
if it was a two month period it would be too soon for an update. I'd feel pretty disenfrancised if I bought something JUST UPDATED and two months later it was updated again.

What's up with this logic? Why would you be mad if a company was consistently providing the most up-to-date product for it's clients? Even outside of the mac world, a constant feature of the computer buying landscape is that the top of the line machine you buy today will be behind the times tomorrow.

It seems to me that I'd have even more of a right to feel disenfranchised if I bought a computer today and an update was held back until tomorrow because Apple wanted to protect the feelings of someone who bought the same computer 3 months ago.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Ok, I'm hoping for an iMac update on Tuesday. Alot of Rumors are pointing towards Powermac updates, if this is true what will Apple "show off" at WWDC?

Erik W.

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2005
Update: macMall availability

MacMall, who had a few days ago changed all their inventory to all "call us" status, has changed all the Power Macs back to "usually ships same day".

For what it is worth. Possibly the whole change of status from in stock to out of stock was nothing, a replacement of PMs with Tiger at least in the box if not installed (though it doesn't say anything like that on the site), solar flares, Elvis sightings, etc. etc.

I'm not waiting anymore, personally. I need a new machine asap, so one is getting ordered today, new PMs or no.

-erik

bxb03a

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
Hey all,
Long time lurker, first post. What do you guys think the prices on the single 1.8 and dual 1.8 PM will do?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
SaleenS351 said:
Do they always show up on the the apple website for ordering before they are available at the actual apple stores?

New Mac's are normally available at the online store first. With the last update it took several weeks for it to show up in stores. At least at my local Apple Store. Although my hope was that Apple would announce the Rev. B iMac G5 today with availability at local stores on Friday along with Tiger.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
PM 1.8 single

bxb03a - I am interested in the PM 1.8 single as well. Unfortunately it seems to be lost in the discussions from the folks looking at the higher end duals.

I am looking at my first Apple system and do not want any part of an AIO system. I have a 19" CRT that I am very happy with and plan to get a larger LCD in the next year or so. For my situation, the only viable option is the current PM 1.8 single. I am not real impressed with the case size vs internal options. However I will not purchase a system that doesn't offer the ability to add a 2nd hard drive, additional memory and upgrade the video card. Over the lifespan of my PC's those are all updates that I have installed.

It seems that Apple can either close out the 1.8 singles with minor updates (memory, video or hard drive) and later bring out a 2.0 version to match the iMac. Or I have seen speculation from people online that they will not offer a system in that range. In my opinion there is a real void in the product line between the mini and the current PM line. As a switcher, the mini is not adequate for the level of performance and upgrade options that I am used to. While the PM duals are beyond the performance that I need.

I am anxious to see what occurs - as I have spent far to many hours for the last 4 months monitoring the online forums.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Well, it's disappointing that there's been no movement yet on the iMac G5 front. I've been waiting, plastic in hand, ready for the day the Rev B's hit. And I've been that way since February, listening to rumor after rumor. :) It's not like I'm desperate for a new machine, so I can wait, but it is getting slightly tiresome.

Maybe next week, huh? :D

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
NewtypeCJ said:
Well, it's disappointing that there's been no movement yet on the iMac G5 front. I've been waiting, plastic in hand, ready for the day the Rev B's hit. And I've been that way since February, listening to rumor after rumor. :) It's not like I'm desperate for a new machine, so I can wait, but it is getting slightly tiresome.

Maybe next week, huh? :D

Same here. Im getting a bit bored of it all now as well.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I just took back my imac G5 today and plan on getting a dual 2.0Ghz PM when they available for ordering from hopefully by the end of the week. I may consider another imac if they are released around the same time and the if the specs look good, but i'm most def. going with the PM.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
benthad said:
It would be nice if Apple give the iBook a FX5200 Go and then the powerbooks could maybe get a Radeon9600 or better. Give the iBook a pre-installed base of 512MB and Bluetooth as standard. That would make me a very happy Bunny :)

I'm all for the FX5200 Go/64MB (which is fine for the iBook, but a joke on the iMac G5).

I'm all for 512MB if it means on-board and thus leaves the memory slot free. If not, I'll get my own memory from Crucial, thank you.

Bluetooth, keep it optionnal. I can see Wi-Fi as something needed on a laptop, but Bluetooth? Eww. Please don't make me pay for that.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
pknz said:
Ok, I'm hoping for an iMac update on Tuesday. Alot of Rumors are pointing towards Powermac updates, if this is true what will Apple "show off" at WWDC?

doubt we'll get updates today or tomorrow, good chance the PMs will be shown off at WWDC...but if they do get updated soon, I'm sure he will have something else to show off at WWDC. Maybe a 1.6/1.8ghz mac mini? (I'd buy one) Or perhaps the much needed PB update. 2.0ghz PB would be great. Especially if its offered in the 12"...seeing as right now you can only get the 1.5ghz in the 12 pb.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
joecool85 said:
doubt we'll get updates today or tomorrow, good chance the PMs will be shown off at WWDC.

The PowerMacs will be updated tomorrow morning. I will eat my iBook for breakfast if they aren't.

The only thing still up in the air is when the updated iMacs will be out. Shipping times make me think next week, but it would also make sense if Apple made a blanket "look how we're updating everything so Tiger runs at full tilt" announcement tomorrow, even if they won't be available to ship until after Friday.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
admanimal said:
The only thing still up in the air is when the updated iMacs will be out. Shipping times make me think next week, but it would also make sense if Apple made a blanket "look how we're updating everything so Tiger runs at full tilt" announcement tomorrow, even if they won't be available to ship until after Friday.

I still think it would be stupid for Apple to announce any computer this week that won't be in stores this weekend. They're going to have their busiest foot traffic of the year -- so why on earth announce an unavailable product? All that will do is make people wait. If you don't announce an iMac and you put a nice discount on the existing inventory (10% is standard in store at these OS-X events ... maybe they'll go deeper this time), then you can clear out inventory this week AND sell new computers next week.

So I say they announce the PowerMacs tomorrow and have them available in stores. They shut up about the iMac, offer deep discounts throughout the weekend, then unveil the new machines next week.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
chicagdan said:
I still think it would be stupid for Apple to announce any computer this week that won't be in stores this weekend. They're going to have their busiest foot traffic of the year -- so why on earth announce an unavailable product? All that will do is make people wait. If you don't announce an iMac and you put a nice discount on the existing inventory (10% is standard in store at these OS-X events ... maybe they'll go deeper this time), then you can clear out inventory this week AND sell new computers next week.

So I say they announce the PowerMacs tomorrow and have them available in stores. They shut up about the iMac, offer deep discounts throughout the weekend, then unveil the new machines next week.

I can definitely see this happening. I mean, the average Joe who is going to an Apple store on Friday isn't even going to know (or maybe even care) that an updated iMac is in the works- if they can walk out of the store with some kind of iMac in their hands for 10% off, they will. Apple sells a lot of product and clears out old inventory before the new ones come- perfect for them.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
doubt we'll get updates today or tomorrow, good chance the PMs will be shown off at WWDC...but if they do get updated soon, I'm sure he will have something else to show off at WWDC. Maybe a 1.6/1.8ghz mac mini? (I'd buy one) Or perhaps the much needed PB update. 2.0ghz PB would be great. Especially if its offered in the 12"...seeing as right now you can only get the 1.5ghz in the 12 pb.

A new Mac Mini at a Developers conference?!
Powerbook Update have been done recently, I don't think they'll be revised for a while, (until they can get a G5 in them).

The PowerMacs will be updated tomorrow morning. I will eat my iBook for breakfast if they aren't.

Mmmmmmmm. What does it taste like?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
pknz said:
A new Mac Mini at a Developers conference?!
Powerbook Update have been done recently, I don't think they'll be revised for a while, (until they can get a G5 in them).

Originally posted by admanimal

Mmmmmmmm. What does it taste like?

An apple. Duh.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
admanimal said:
I can definitely see this happening. I mean, the average Joe who is going to an Apple store on Friday isn't even going to know (or maybe even care) that an updated iMac is in the works- if they can walk out of the store with some kind of iMac in their hands for 10% off, they will. Apple sells a lot of product and clears out old inventory before the new ones come- perfect for them.

I dunno, I would be *pissed* off if I were a consumer who walked in and bought a Mac (even at 10% off) and a few *days* later they announced a refresh. They might not lose me as a customer, but I'd think twice about buying again. IMO, they should announce the refresh, offer the 10% (or more) off the old rev this weekend at apple store events and the like, and then start shipping the new one after this weekend. Then they're being up front about a new rev, but they're still offering something to the value-conscious person who'll be in the stores this weekend looking at Tiger. I doubt Apple would have any problem moving either type of iMac this weekend, old or refreshed.

Jeegan

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
You know what I wish? I wish they would offer the 'Book lines in with different speed processors per screen size. Such as right now, I wish you could choose 1.0 to 1.33 GHz in the 12" and 14" iBook line, instead of just getting one speed. You know, a cheaper one, middle one and more expensive one. Same with PowerBooks, 1.33 to 1.67 would rock available in 12" to 17". Just like the way PC notebooks work, more options to choose from. I understand that Apple doesn't sell the volume of machines that people like Dell do just because of how big the PC world is, but it would still be nice if they had more options available. And heck, it might boost sales a bit. Sorry to sidetrack, just wanted to add that, heh.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
NewtypeCJ said:
I dunno, I would be *pissed* off if I were a consumer who walked in and bought a Mac (even at 10% off) and a few *days* later they announced a refresh.
I'd really like to see the new iMacs by Friday, so I can get 10% off at the Apple event. If the new iMacs don't come until next Tue, then I will just order from Amazon. Sales tax at 8.25% adds up to quite a bit on a $1900 purchase. I would rather wait a few days for shipping to save a few bucks. But I've already sold my Power Mac, so I hope the iMacs come soon. Looking at Apple's history, they've never released new Power Macs and then released new iMacs less than a week later. This is one weird update.

BTW - for those who mentioned updates and that Apple would not ship right away, generally Apple ships slight speed bumps like this immediately. It is only new product announcements/redesigns that take months to ship.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
ImAlwaysRight said:
I'd really like to see the new iMacs by Friday, so I can get 10% off at the Apple event. If the new iMacs don't come until next Tue, then I will just order from Amazon. Sales tax at 8.25% adds up to quite a bit on a $1900 purchase. I would rather wait a few days for shipping to save a few bucks. But I've already sold my Power Mac, so I hope the iMacs come soon. Looking at Apple's history, they've never released new Power Macs and then released new iMacs less than a week later. This is one weird update.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd jump at the chance to buy a new one with the 10% off on Friday...but if not, I'm not sure where I will end up getting it from, since even the edu discount I'm eligible for doesn't make up for 6% CT sales tax.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
ImAlwaysRight said:
I'd really like to see the new iMacs by Friday, so I can get 10% off at the Apple event. If the new iMacs don't come until next Tue, then I will just order from Amazon. Sales tax at 8.25% adds up to quite a bit on a $1900 purchase.

Is the Apple event only at the brick and mortar stores, or also at the online store? If the b&m would have the configuration I'd want (20" with larger hd), then I'll probably go to the local Apple Store and walk out with one (assuming they'd have enough of the config I'd want). Hrm, decisions decisions. I also have to deal with 8.25% sales tax, so any savings is good savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.