Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
dayloon said:
I really hope you're right. The only reason I doubt that is because a lot of people seem to base this on the fact that the US Store has a 5-7 day wait for new orders. Here in the UK, it's still "within 24hrs"
Do something like add 512 RAM and then the ship time jumps to 1-2 weeks.

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
dayloon said:
I really hope you're right. The only reason I doubt that is because a lot of people seem to base this on the fact that the US Store has a 5-7 day wait for new orders. Here in the UK, it's still "within 24hrs"

i see 5 days almost across the line
edit: on PMs at least.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 166

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The thing that could prevent the release tomorrow is Steve. Apple and Steve monitors rumor sites. All the ships date changes could be a smoke screen. Predictability has become unpredictability.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Here's my prediction: tomorrow Apple reintroduces the same ol' G5 they've been selling the past year and a half -- only with a name change.

Now it's the "G5 Classic". Same chip, same specs -- only the price goes up $500 because, you know, its classic!

EDIT: Jobs doesn't give a hoot about rumor sites -- nor should he. He should only care about improving his hardware line which is bordering on embarrassing.

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
wdlove said:
The thing that could prevent the release tomorrow is Steve. Apple and Steve monitors rumor sites. All the ships date changes could be a smoke screen. Predictability has become unpredictability.
Now THAT would suck

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
If, after all this, nothing happens to the imacs tomorrow then i will seriously be reconsidering my position of getting a mac. I think it's a joke. They are not working on some kind of top secret new weapon which nobody can know about. It's a damn computer. As somebody said above, car manufactures (and just about every other PC manufacturer) lets everybody know what is happening, when it happening and what updates are taking place. Whats the deal with these people ? Are they trying to put people off ? If they are serious about increasing their position in the market and converting more MS users, they need to change their ways.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I think Apple would be smart *not* to release new computers this week. Think about it -- they need to clear out the inventory of old iMacs and PMs ... the flood of people in the stores this weekend combined with a major sale could move out a lot of excess inventory at once. Then next week announce the new systems with Tiger loaded and you get a two for one pop.

Unless Apple has the boxes ready to sell in the stores by Friday, it would be idiotic to step on the Tiger release with a product that will delay immediate store sales. Tiger is their best weapon for getting customers into the Apple stores and Apple stores are the best weapon for clearing out old inventory.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
dayloon said:
If, after all this, nothing happens to the imacs tomorrow then i will seriously be reconsidering my position of getting a mac. I think it's a joke. They are not working on some kind of top secret new weapon which nobody can know about. It's a damn computer. As somebody said above, car manufactures (and just about every other PC manufacturer) lets everybody know what is happening, when it happening and what updates are taking place. Whats the deal with these people ? Are they trying to put people off ? If they are serious about increasing their position in the market and converting more MS users, they need to change their ways.

That's just the modus operandi of Apple, namely Steve Jobs. Skim the market as much as you can and wring out every drop in profits with the existing line before you introduce an improved product. I think it's a shame that Apple holds back their information without giving us a roadmap of what to expect in the future.

Just browse any mac forum after a new iPod, iBook, Powerbook or what have you is released. It's like one big massive orgy and people are whipping out their plastic on an impulse; you hardly see many people talking about what they plan to buy and when they're buying it. Where's the excitement in that?

And what's worse is many mac heads are fine with this. You should check out the forums at macworld.com. Whenever someone posts a question regarding "should I buy a new PB or should I wait," without even looking at the person's needs or timeframe all the zealots jump in and say "buy it now, buy it now." It's almost as if they're undercover sales people working for Apple. Heaven forbid you step in and say to the prospective buyer "wait, updates should be due out in the next month or two," because you'll get trashed for your sentient but non-impulsive recommendation.

It's all part of "thinking different" I guess.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
JonTheRvelator said:
I apologize for my ignorance but is there any supposed rumor about a new powerbook being announced tomorrow?

Sorry, but I haven't heard about any rumors of an update for the PowerBook. Although Steve could surprise us. None of the predicted updates, PowerBook?

Not sure how it will work out, the majority of Mac users are holding out for upcoming updates.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I see Apple insider citing other articles indicates new iMac's are in the pipeline based on the delivery time changes.. They also indicate caution on the release date of tomorrow and that it could be in early May. This may be the case with the big push on Tiger over the weekend and then the release of the new hardware the following Tuesday with Tiger installed.

I hope this whole fiasco ends within the week...I am losing interest and the impulse to have another computer may just pass.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
calyxman said:
That's just the modus operandi of Apple, namely Steve Jobs. Skim the market as much as you can and wring out every drop in profits with the existing line before you introduce an improved product. I think it's a shame that Apple holds back their information without giving us a roadmap of what to expect in the future.

Just browse any mac forum after a new iPod, iBook, Powerbook or what have you is released. It's like one big massive orgy and people are whipping out their plastic on an impulse; you hardly see many people talking about what they plan to buy and when they're buying it. Where's the excitement in that?

And what's worse is many mac heads are fine with this.

Wow, that's quite a rant. To bad none of it takes into account that pesky thing called reality.
Apple is not in the same position as other vendors. They don't have the volumes. Athlon 3400+ chips will continue to sell even if everyone knows that a new Athlon is about to be released. Powermac Towers WON'T sell if people know, definiatively, that new Towers are coming out in two weeks. That leaves Apple with a lot of extra inventory that they need to mark down below cost to dump. The bigger the improvement in a line, the less likely people will be to buy new hardware. Do you think ANYONE would buy a dual 2.5 today if Apple said "Oh yea, we'll have dual dual-core machines running faster for the same price in a month"?

Maybe, just maybe, many of those "mac heads" realize that Apple's a freaking business and not a cult leader (like the windows fan boys like to believe). Maybe, just maybe, we know that Apple occasionally has to do what's best for Apple so that they can keep innovating and designing hardware and software that Microsoft can emulate. I mean, seriously, Microsoft is a HUGE company. Without Apple showing them what they sould be doing, microsofts fall could have a serious impact on economies around the world.

The bottom line is.. if you need a mac, buy it. If you don't NEED it right now and you feel like playing the rumor game, wait till the next hardware revision. This isn't really any different than waiting for PCI-E support for Athlons or Dual-Core P4EE chips. Sure, they give you a better idea when those will be coming but god forbid a PC company blow a ship date.
:eek: :p

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
NevadaJack said:
I see Apple insider citing other articles indicates new iMac's are in the pipeline based on the delivery time changes.. They also indicate caution on the release date of tomorrow and that it could be in early May. This may be the case with the big push on Tiger over the weekend and then the release of the new hardware the following Tuesday with Tiger installed.

I hope this whole fiasco ends within the week...I am losing interest and the impulse to have another computer may just pass.

In the case of the PM and iMac, I would guess that their current shipping delay times are indicative of when they will be updated, i.e. PM probably tomorrow and iMacs by next Tuesday at the latest. So technically it could be "early May"...but only because May starts on Sunday. The 1-3 day delays for everything else but eMac are probably just due to Tiger in some way or another.

For example, maybe they are anticipating higher demand than normal on all machines (except eMacs I guess) due to Tiger, and decided to slightly lengthen the shipping times to give themselves a better chance to ship things in the estimated time frame.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
aussie_geek said:
No way dude - they were updated about a month ago. :eek:

aussie_geek

I hope this does not seem rude that I am correcting you, but I just want to clear this up because it might make a difference...

The PowerBook line was updated on January 31, which will be three months ago in a few days. The reason this makes a difference is because by the time that WWDC comes around in early June, it will have been slightly over four months, and an update will not be a MAJOR blow in the face to people who have just bought the new hardware... if it was a two month period it would be too soon for an update. I'd feel pretty disenfrancised if I bought something JUST UPDATED and two months later it was updated again.

I think that new Powerbooks WILL come out by the end of the summer, but I have no idea about anything else - it's just a gut feeling.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
OK...some new shipping times for everyone to speculate about...(US Store)

ALL PowerMacs, including the Single 1.8, are now at 1-3 days. eMacs are 5-7 days. Everything else has stayed the same.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
appleface said:
updated imacs and emacs announced tomorrow. woohoo!

Actually based on these delays, I'd put my money on PowerMacs before (i|e)Macs- I could see those not being updated until the end of this week/beginning of next.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
admanimal said:
Actually based on these delays, I'd put my money on PowerMacs before (i|e)Macs- I could see those not being updated until the end of this week/beginning of next.

I tend to agree with you. I know nothing of how Apple thinks in these matters but the delivery dates kind of indicate the PM's are ready with Tiger installed and the iMac is still filling the pipeline or they just want to allow the PM's to have the headlines for a day or two. They will get more ink if they spread the release out.

am back to a May release for the iMac
:(

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
ffakr said:
Wow, that's quite a rant. To bad none of it takes into account that pesky thing called reality.
Apple is not in the same position as other vendors. They don't have the volumes. Athlon 3400+ chips will continue to sell even if everyone knows that a new Athlon is about to be released. Powermac Towers WON'T sell if people know, definiatively, that new Towers are coming out in two weeks. That leaves Apple with a lot of extra inventory that they need to mark down below cost to dump. The bigger the improvement in a line, the less likely people will be to buy new hardware. Do you think ANYONE would buy a dual 2.5 today if Apple said "Oh yea, we'll have dual dual-core machines running faster for the same price in a month"?

Well first of all we're not talking one month. Would 6 months be fair? I think so. You make a good point about Apple's business being very sensitive to leaking of information, but that's true for almost anybody and for almost any product. But when was the last PM update and what have we known since then?... That's what I'm talking about.

Maybe, just maybe, many of those "mac heads" realize that Apple's a freaking business and not a cult leader (like the windows fan boys like to believe). Maybe, just maybe, we know that Apple occasionally has to do what's best for Apple so that they can keep innovating and designing hardware and software that Microsoft can emulate. I mean, seriously, Microsoft is a HUGE company. Without Apple showing them what they sould be doing, microsofts fall could have a serious impact on economies around the world.

Wow, so Apple helps keep MS alive? What flavor kool-aid have you been drinking? :rolleyes:

No one is asking for Apple to divulge software secrets, and the original topic was about hardware, not software. I have no issues with OS X; I absolutely love it. I love the classic mac os even more.

The bottom line is.. if you need a mac, buy it. If you don't NEED it right now and you feel like playing the rumor game, wait till the next hardware revision. This isn't really any different than waiting for PCI-E support for Athlons or Dual-Core P4EE chips. Sure, they give you a better idea when those will be coming but god forbid a PC company blow a ship date.
:eek: :p

Fair enough. But it would be nice to know rather than get burned because you ended up buying your new system two weeks before it was released. In fact, wouldn't it be nice for Apple to offer rebates or a price drop to help level out the playing field so to speak?

Reminds of when I used to buy my books for college. Ever bought a used book and come back to discover the bookstore wouldn't buy your book back after the semester was finished because a newer edition came out? You know the price you paid for that book is the same price that students from previous semesters paid, but they were afforded the ability to sell the book back. I've always argued that bookstores should reduce the price the last semester a book is used just to be fair. And they know when a book will be discontinued.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
StarbucksSam said:
I hope this does not seem rude that I am correcting you, but I just want to clear this up because it might make a difference...

The PowerBook line was updated on January 31, which will be three months ago in a few days. The reason this makes a difference is because by the time that WWDC comes around in early June, it will have been slightly over four months, and an update will not be a MAJOR blow in the face to people who have just bought the new hardware... if it was a two month period it would be too soon for an update. I'd feel pretty disenfrancised if I bought something JUST UPDATED and two months later it was updated again.

I think that new Powerbooks WILL come out by the end of the summer, but I have no idea about anything else - it's just a gut feeling.

Yep - I was incorrect regarding the time the PowerBooks were updated - only seemed like a month ago.... :eek:.

However, I was answering the question directly:
JonTheRvelator said:
I apologize for my ignorance but is there any supposed rumour about a new powerbook being announced tomorrow?

The answer is still no. :cool:

Regarding new ones by the end of summer - that is plausible. G5 or whatever, there will be a new revision.

Anyway, the notion of the release of a G5 PowerBook has been debated/discussed etc so many times before and is really off topic for this thread.

aussie_geek

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
unknownfairy said:
Is it just me, or are the apple stores down???????

Edit - you're right, it's my internet. I can't get onto anything except MR and hotmail. What's going on here? huh?

Hold on. I'll be right over.

California to Australia in no time flat!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I think whatever is released in the next week or two might be quite revealing about Apples plans for future upgrades. If we see Powermacs with dual processors (NOT dual core) this week or next, I think it will be another very long wait before the next update (dual core?), and certainly not at WWDC as some people have suggested. Think about it, why would Apple release a computer only for it to be updated in just 5 or 6 weeks time again? It would be much better for them to just hold off or skip the current update and go straight for the next one at WWDC....

If the next update does indeed have the the single core chips, which is what rumour sites are predicting, then sadly I think dual core PowerMacs are a VERY long way off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.