Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm getting fed up with Apple.

I am trying to switch over from Windows and get a 17" iMac, but don't want to buy it yet because I might be able to get more for my money if they come out with an upgrade. But I am getting sick of waiting! I wish they would hurry up and just announce atleast a date (or even that they are not going to make one).

Maybe I'll just buy that Sony like I almost did months ago.

I'm new to this, forgive me if I did something wrong.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
EricNau said:
I'm getting fed up with Apple.

I am trying to switch over from Windows and get a 17" iMac, but don't want to buy it yet because I might be able to get more for my money if they come out with an upgrade. But I am getting sick of waiting! I wish they would hurry up and just announce atleast a date (or even that they are not going to make one).

Maybe I'll just buy that Sony like I almost did months ago.

I'm new to this, forgive me if I did something wrong.

If you need it so badly why not just buy the current one :confused:

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Platform said:
If you need it so badly why not just buy the current one :confused:

Especially when you can get a 10 percent discount by buying it in an Apple Store this weekend. The minor speed bump the next gen iMac is getting makes all of this hand wringing absurd.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
NewtypeCJ said:
Is the Apple event only at the brick and mortar stores, or also at the online store?
It is only brick and mortar. The 10% off has never been advertised, but is something Apple has done the last two times, so probably will do this time also. :cool:

EricNau said:
I'm getting fed up with Apple. I am trying to switch over from Windows and get a 17" iMac,
Actually, you should be fed up with the rumor sites, giving you "new Macs on Tuesday (Apr 26)" when reality is only new Power Macs on Wednesday. But, consider yourself fortunate to have found this site. Most Mac buyers are unaware of this site. Ignorance may be bliss when it comes to buying to not have to worry about this kind of stuff, but I'd rather hold off a couple weeks or months if it means getting more computer for the same amount of money.

ThinkSecret has the best track record of predictions. If they say new iMacs by next Tuesday at the latest, then I'd believe that. I am praying the iMacs will be released tomorrow so that I can get the 10% off at my Apple Store. But now I am starting to doubt they will come Friday, as someone pointed out yesterday the Power Macs were perceived by many Mac faithful as a disappointing upgrade, so Apple quietly released them with Tiger taking center stage on Apple's website. The new iMacs will be a major upgrade to the product line, so Apple may wait until next Monday or Tuesday to be able to put the new iMacs front and center on their web page. But, I'm still hoping for Friday for 10% off, otherwise, I will just do mail order to save myself the 8.25% tax, but then will get my iMac that much later. :(

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
chicagdan said:
The minor speed bump the next gen iMac is getting makes all of this hand wringing absurd.
It may be a minor speed bump from 1.8 to 2.0GHz, but look at the other improvements in the 20-inch model:

• 64MB nVidia 5200 to 128MB ATI Radeon 9600
• 160GB to 250GB
• faster SuperDrive
• 256MB to 512MB RAM
• OS 10.3 to OS 10.4
• iLife 04 to iLife 05
• support for bluetooth 2.0 (I don't think BT 2 will come standard, but will just be "supported")

Take those upgrades with the faster Processor and front side bus, and that is one heck of an upgrade, assuming price stays the same.

I am definitely waiting for the update, whether it happens tomorrow or 3 weeks from now. Like everyone else, I just wish it'd hurry up and get here! I sold my dual 2.0GHz Power Mac last weekend (just before the update) so that I could get in on this iMac update. The iMac will look at lot nicer in my home than the 19" DELL monitor I had been using with my Power Mac. :) I am not loosing much speed, but am netting about $1K on the deal, so am glad I sold my old system.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
ImAlwaysRight said:
It may be a minor speed bump from 1.8 to 2.0GHz, but look at the other improvements in the 20-inch model:

• 64MB nVidia 5200 to 128MB ATI Radeon 9600
• 160GB to 250GB
• faster SuperDrive
• 256MB to 512MB RAM
• OS 10.3 to OS 10.4
• iLife 04 to iLife 05
• support for bluetooth 2.0 (I don't think BT 2 will come standard, but will just be "supported")

Take those upgrades with the faster Processor and front side bus, and that is one heck of an upgrade, assuming price stays the same.

I am definitely waiting for the update, whether it happens tomorrow or 3 weeks from now. Like everyone else, I just wish it'd hurry up and get here! I sold my dual 2.0GHz Power Mac last weekend (just before the update) so that I could get in on this iMac update. The iMac will look at lot nicer in my home than the 19" DELL monitor I had been using with my Power Mac. :) I am not loosing much speed, but am netting about $1K on the deal, so am glad I sold my old system.
Nice swap, good to lose the DELL monitor :)
I agree that the specs for the iMacs look awesome. That's why I think Apple will disappoint us in some way, only 64MB gfx mem, no new gfx card or something like that. I actually think iMacs with those specs would compete too much with the PowerMacs. You selling your PM to get an iMac is a proof of that!
However, I *really* hope the rumors are true! Please!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
17"?

Anybody know if Apple will upgrade their 17"? I would prefer to not spend the extra money for the screen. Would the upgrades be similar to that of the 20"?
Anybody out there that has a wireless keyboard & mouse? What are you're thoughts on them, is it worth the extra $100?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.