Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@MacSoftware3 : First i'd start with 10.11's SDK to verify that you have everything set up and installed that is required to build AF/PM. Once you get a working build environment and AF/PM builds, then you can experiment with other SDK's. Also, to get XCode 7.3+ to recognize an SDK older than what it came with, lower the MinimumSDKVersion in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Info.plist.

You will need a few things from macports if you haven't already installed them. python27, yasm, libidl, ccache and autoconf213.

Cheers

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
No, it's supposed to be like this. What command did you exactly call to start the build? Else than that.. what's your python 2.x and gnu make version?

as an extra safety, remove the -j2 in
Code:
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"
if you have it in your mozconfig

it's not useful for uniprocessor machines and pressures memory more.

I've got Make 4.2 and Python 2.7 installed.

I used ./mach build to start the compile.

I added the following to the mozconfig based on what versions I have installed and it was no help:

Code:
mk_add_options PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.7
mk_add_options AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf2.13

The spelling is correct on everything.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
@swamprock can you try
Code:
make -f client.mk build
to start compilation? I always do it like this

Funnily enough, I added jemalloc and restarted the build using that line rather than mach build. It seems to have picked up a bunch of items that weren't compiled the first time around and has been grinding away for a couple of hours now. Let's hope that this fixes it...

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Funnily enough, I added jemalloc and restarted the build using that line rather than mach build. It seems to have picked up a bunch of items that weren't compiled the first time around and has been grinding away for a couple of hours now. Let's hope that this fixes it...

Well, since your config file has changed it has to regenerate the backend, and setting/unsetting jemalloc has an especially big impact as virtually every part of the browser uses malloc. I'm getting used to it, even changing something utterly trivial in the config causes to rebuild 98% of the source.. Though I hardly imagine how long it takes on an iBook. Let's hope it completes indeed :¬)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Well, since your config file has changed it has to regenerate the backend, and setting/unsetting jemalloc has an especially big impact as virtually every part of the browser uses malloc. I'm getting used to it, even changing something utterly trivial in the config causes to rebuild 98% of the source.. Though I hardly imagine how long it takes on an iBook. Let's hope it completes indeed :¬)

Ahh ok. Well, it stops again with the same error. I'm stuck for what to do now, except to wait to see if you can get it built...

MacSoftware3

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
@MacSoftware3 : First i'd start with 10.11's SDK to verify that you have everything set up and installed that is required to build AF/PM. Once you get a working build environment and AF/PM builds, then you can experiment with other SDK's. Also, to get XCode 7.3+ to recognize an SDK older than what it came with, lower the MinimumSDKVersion in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Info.plist.

You will need a few things from macports if you haven't already installed them. python27, yasm, libidl, ccache and autoconf213.

Cheers

Yes, I started with that. I built Pale Moon successfully with the 10.11 SDK, I have XCode 7.3.x for older SDK's (I have 10.5, 10.6 & 10.7 installed) and I have the requirements installed through HomeBrew. 10.11 SDK built succesfully, but I got the earlier mentioned error when trying with the 10.5 & 10.6 SDK. Thanks for the help so far!

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Ahh ok. Well, it stops again with the same error. I'm stuck for what to do now, except to wait to see if you can get it built...

Yeah, I think I'll give it a try later today. I haven't yet because I've been committed to something else. My system hasn't changed, and according to wicknix's last changes there's absolutely nothing that affects ICU, so I should succeed. If I do, that would mean there's an edge case bug in either sid's make or python27.

I'll update when I have results.

Last edited:

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
@swamprock I'm done with the build and posting from it right now. I didn't have any trouble building. Here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ymtFX590r2rNgpoX8fen6XFx1xKWvYiU

@wicknix I noticed the status bar doesn't do anything in 27.9.11. I tell it to show links URL inside but doesn't. After restoring my old profile from 27.9.9 it restarted to work. I can reproduce on snow leopard as well (your palemoon builds didn't do this). I tried looking at your commit history at github but I'm really unsure what default preference might do this, and I'm too tired right now possibly. I'll get some rest.

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for the info. Just noticed that myself after you mentioned it. I dont ever use the statusbar so i never noticed. Odd though, as other than changing appName to create it's own profile directory nothing else "internally" was changed. I'll look in to that.

Cheers

EDIT: Well that happens sometimes anyway. Installed fresh on a different machine and statusbar works fine. Strange.

Last edited:

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Thanks. It works just fine. The problem must be as you said- something goofy about make in sid.

Well after all Sid is debian's package upstream staging area, so it's not unusual for this to happen. In cases production-level stability is needed it can probably be done on a per-package basis to fetch stretch's source packages and build them as a .deb archive. Glad it works.

WinterClaws

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
Been a little while since I posted, only wanted to reiterate "thanks very much" to Wicknix...this browser is turning out great. Actually I was starting to encounter some bugs in PaleMoon (occasional out-of-control CPU usage was the most annoying) and was starting to shift back to other browsers. But this latest iteration of AF (v27.9.11 right now) is behaving much better. Polished interface etc. also.

Again a thumbs up and thank you again...will keep following your great work on this.

WinterClaws

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
And...just to add two cents and confirm the seeming status bar bug that XaPHER reported in the thread above. I also find that the status bar does not display links in v27.9.11.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@WinterClaws Can you do me a favor? Try this. Change the status bar to show "pop-ups" instead. It's basically like having a hidden status bar until you hover links. That is the setting i use (to have more screen space). That should work. In the meantime i'll look in to what might be randomly causing that. (tools -> status bar prefs -> status -> general -> show links in pop-up).

Cheers

WinterClaws

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2018
@WinterClaws Can you do me a favor? Try this. Change the status bar to show "pop-ups" instead. It's basically like having a hidden status bar until you hover links. That is the setting i use (to have more screen space). That should work. In the meantime i'll look in to what might be randomly causing that. (tools -> status bar prefs -> status -> general -> show links in pop-up).

Cheers

Sure. Thanks for the suggestion. But it didn't seem to work. The nice thing about beta-testing-type stuff is that it makes one aware of options they didn't know about (like that status bar prefs thing). :) Anyway I could totally live with that popup behavior as you describe, and tried various bits of options within that dialog box (like Hide Status after x seconds) but...no joy. Still not showing any links. As a simple example, http://addons.palemoon.org doesn't show links when hovering on the menu bar on top, but does so on Safari. Am encountering similar with other sites (including https)...
[doublepost=1541594471][/doublepost]That reminded me...maybe I should pass on a couple of personal suggestions to new users of this browser that I think might be useful (and to avoid learning the hard way).

- First is the default option not to track history (ArcticFox/Prefs/Privacy/Tracking). That sounds good in theory, until you find out that it also means that the browser will never remember its previous links/tabs/sessions. If that means more to you than the privacy concerns (as I've decided, after losing one too many sets of important windows open after an AF crash...painful :) ) then you might want to set it to "Remember History" as I have. That will also allow things like restoring closed tabs and such (another feature my trigger-finger browsing habits can greatly appreciate).

- And as an adjunct of the above suggestion, it also allows for showing windows and tabs from last time. You can set that in the General tab of Preferences. Those who wanted to turn that option on but were befuddled why it was greyed out, well...that's the reason.

- And finally, my personal loathing of Java aside, that add-on has also been the cause of a couple of AF crashes for me. So, I feel justified to also suggest setting the Java Applet Plug-In to "Ask to Activate" (or "Never Activate" altogether). That is in Tools/Add-ons/Plugins. At least that way you have forewarning when a page has some java content that will try to activate it, and can judge if it is worth any possible crash or security risk to activate or not. Actually I'm a big fan of setting pretty much any plugin to manually ask before activating (learned the hard way on Chrome years prior), so I respectfully suggest that this might be best set as default in future compiles/versions of the browser too.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@WinterClaws Good idea. I changed that setting in my repository to disable plugins by default. Now the user can decide to leave them disabled, or activate them when needed.

BIG NEWS! I merged a few patches from Riccardo, and we now can build natively on 10.6! That's good news for 32-bit snow leopard users. Now anybody with a core duo machine should be able build it. :) (and i hope somebody does and shares it!)

On a smaller note, my dark icons were hard to see, so i gave mac and linux better icons. These icons pay tribute to FF and PM. A blue fox wrapped around a light gray moon. :cool:
I uploaded a 27.9.11 build built with the 10.6 sdk, new icons and plugins disabled by default for those interested. Otherwise keep using what you're using as nothing else really major changed yet.

new-icon.png

Cheers

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
I've completed my (re)build. Here's a download link for an xz archive (~29MB) containing the executable and runtime dependencies for wicknix's ArcticFox rebrand of palemoon 27.9 on 32-bit powerpc linux:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12gGODehPn-TFQG0YTqg_Kho3pr1xyu1J/view

I can't predict what system config will work and what won't. That said, you should have gtk+2 libraries installed as a strict minimum from your package manager(AFAIK gtk+3 won't do). Debian still has a powerpc libgtk2 (2.24) package in jessie repo. This is built on a gentoo system. Keep the decompressed directory as-is. You'll need a G4 because of the compiler options.

NOTE: If it starts up, but then crashes while loading the home page, you should specify a page to load when starting it up
Code:
 ./arcticfox https://wwwhatever.your.page.is
then change the home page in preferences. The default home page is the only url that gave this result. You may also want to disallow sites to use their own fonts because non-latin scripts seem to render incorrectly otherwise. Those are the two only quirks I've seen so far.

Hi XaPHER,

I'm trying to run your build on Adelie Linux.
I think I got everything right and now I'm getting this error

<jemalloc>Compile-time page size does not divide the runtime one.
Segmentation fault

This is the same error reported on this page for a different fork of mozilla.
If possible can you take a look at it and see if the patch they provide is possible to include in
a future build?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780404

Best regards,
voidRunner

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
BIG news! You asked for it. 32-bit intel version has been built! This might be the ONLY version i build as it took some hackish wizardry to get it to compile on an old (supposedly unsupported) version of clang. These hacks are not something i want to add in to my proper git repository. With that said, this version should bring new life to those old core duo's for awhile. The best part of it all..... PLUG-IN support. :D

On a side note... if anybody is running 10.5 intel this *might* work on that as well.
@vddrnnr @eyoungren @MacSoftware3 : I know you've all inquired about a 32-bit build, so please test it out and report back. Thanks!

Download 32-bit version here:
https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Downloads

Cheers

Last edited:

miksat

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2018
Republic of Serbia
BIG news! You asked for it. 32-bit intel version has been built! This might be the ONLY version i build as it took some hackish wizardry to get it to compile on an old (supposedly unsupported) version of clang. These hacks are not something i want to add in to my proper git repository. With that said, this version should bring new life to those old core duo's for awhile. The best part of it all..... PLUG-IN support. :D

On a side note... if anybody is running 10.5 intel this *might* work on that as well.
@vddrnnr @eyoungren @MacSoftware3 : I know you've all inquired about a 32-bit build, so please test it out and report back. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O4I0v611mNdkXPMZs4xI4qWUhXqGzPJb

Cheers

Oh wow, this is amazing. We made a lot of progress for 32-bit Macs this year. When I first got my Core Duo Macbook Pro, the only option was the out of date Firefox from 2016.

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O4I0v611mNdkXPMZs4xI4qWUhXqGzPJb

Cheers
I will take a look in a few hours when I have the chance. Thanks!

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Hi XaPHER,

I'm trying to run your build on Adelie Linux.
I think I got everything right and now I'm getting this error

<jemalloc>Compile-time page size does not divide the runtime one.
Segmentation fault

This is the same error reported on this page for a different fork of mozilla.
If possible can you take a look at it and see if the patch they provide is possible to include in
a future build?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780404

Best regards,
voidRunner

Right now I'm more or less able to spend some time on linux. The patch to jemalloc itself is harmless, but after looking into this a little bit more, I believe it'd be better if I pay attention to a couple possibilities. I suspect you have a single processor system, so meanwhile, I can just do a build with jemalloc disabled while I'm away and that should work without any performance impact.

Though, I'm curious; what's your system's kernel page size?

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi XaPHER,

Thanx for your help, eager to see the new build.
Yes you are right I'm using a powerbook G4 1.67ghz ( only one cpu ).
Regarding the Kernel Page Size from getconf PAGESIZE i get 4096 and
from grep -i pagesize smaps after cd /proc/1 in KernelPageSize I get 4k.

Best regards,
voidRunner

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Hi XaPHER,

Thanx for your help, eager to see the new build.
Yes you are right I'm using a powerbook G4 1.67ghz ( only one cpu ).
Regarding the Kernel Page Size from getconf PAGESIZE i get 4096 and
from grep -i pagesize smaps after cd /proc/1 in KernelPageSize I get 4k.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Odd. 4k pagesize makes sense on a 32-bit kernel (and jemalloc compiles for 4k pagesize) so I'm not sure this is the issue at hand. This would have made sense on a 64-bit powerpc because usually greater pagesizes (like the bug report you referenced) but even that was addressed before palemoon forked firefox 24.

The biggest difference with adélie linux is it has musl instead of glibc. Possibly a quirk from running a binary linked against glibc on a musl-based system? I don't know to what extent the two are binary compatible and mozilla is rather massive. I'll upload a build without jemalloc soon so you can tell me if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.