Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Wicknix,

Unfortunately the error is still there.
It must be the glib compatibility layer causing this error for some reason.
I think I'll need to build it myself.

Best regards,
voidRunner

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
BIG news! You asked for it. 32-bit intel version has been built! This might be the ONLY version i build as it took some hackish wizardry to get it to compile on an old (supposedly unsupported) version of clang. These hacks are not something i want to add in to my proper git repository. With that said, this version should bring new life to those old core duo's for awhile. The best part of it all..... PLUG-IN support. :D

On a side note... if anybody is running 10.5 intel this *might* work on that as well.
@vddrnnr @eyoungren @MacSoftware3 : I know you've all inquired about a 32-bit build, so please test it out and report back. Thanks!

Download 32-bit version here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O4I0v611mNdkXPMZs4xI4qWUhXqGzPJb

Cheers
Working on my Snow Leopard MBP. I copied over my FF profile, but I will have to grab the 'clean' prefs file I made for Intel based PCs because things are whacked with my PowerPC prefs file. But it's all working. Thanks for yet another option!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@eyoungren thanks. Glad to know it works on a 32 bit mac 10.6. However be careful with your prefs/profile. Af/pm are no longer a "pure" Firefox fork, so some tweaks will not work or just don't exist in about:config. Same goes for add-ons. Most older ff add-ons will work, but some are problematic. You may want to use articfox-advanced-prefs add-on I uploaded as a starting point.

Cheers.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm finally going to try and build this in Adelie Linux.
As anyone built it with less than 6GB RAM? ( i'm trying to do it on a powerbook with 2GB )

@XaPHER and @wicknix
Can you post you full mozconfig for ppc32?

Best regards,
voidRunner

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@vddrnnr I successfully built it on a mac mini g4 with 1gb ram with a 1.5gb swap partition. You shouldn't have a problem with 2gb.

Inside the repository archive are a few mozconfigs. Just rename the ppc32linux config and adjust it to your liking.

Cheers.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
27.9.12 is now available for 32 & 64 bit 10.6 and above. This release fixes some web compatibility issues with some problematic sites, and has some under the hood changes as Riccardo and i try back porting some stuff as we work towards (hopefully) 10.5 support. New linux ppc32 build will be available in the next few days.

Cheers

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

So I finally got it built for Adelie.
Generally it works better than Firefox, faster startup and lighter on resources.
Pages render correctly. Will try youtube next.
Screenshot at the end.

@wicknix
It seems to be a bit unstable. I'm getting a lot of segmentation faults randomly.
I user your mozconfig but had to add a few options:

In LDFLAGS had to add -lfts
Also had to disable jemalloc because it failed to compile because of missing sys/sysctl.h
Also hat to use system libevent because it failed to build also because of the same include.
Had to modify a couple of files:

xpcom/nsLocalFileUnix.cpp because of missing BLOCK_SIZE --> #include <linux/fs.h>
extensions/spellcheck/hunspell/glue/hunspell_alloc_hooks.h --> had to comment #define calloc and #define free.

It also got built into /usr/local/arcticfox... instead of just /usr/arcticfox... which created a few
problems with missing libraries at run time: libmozsqlite3 and libmozalloc.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
voidRunner

screen6.png

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@vddrnnr : Glad you got it built. The stability issues are more than likely musl or adelie related. No such segfaults on debian/ubuntu. It's been rock solid so far. What commands did you use to build/package it? It shouldnt install anywhere except to a self contained archive that when extracted is just an arcticfox folder with all libs and binaries in it. Then you you just extract the archive anywhere (i chose /opt). So for me for it's /opt/arcticfox. To run it just cd /opt/arcticfox and run ./arcticfox (or create desktop/menu shortcuts).

I used these commands to build, test, and package (same as palemoon suggests)
./mach build (starts the configuration and build process)
./mach run (tests completed build with scratch profile)
./mach package (creates the self contained archive which you'll find in /dist)

Cheers.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi wicknix,

I did the build wth ( mentioned somewhere in this thread )

make -f client.mk build

After I did a

make -f client.mk install

Maybe that is the problem.

After I installed uMatrix the instability only remained
in youtube and google.com ( gmail works ).

Almost everything is working now.

I'm using the uMatrix 1.1.4 and noya scrollbars. ( seems to lower cpu usage a bit when browsing and looking
better ).

I'll try the mach package and see if it gets any better. ( maybe a stray lib somewhere ).

Another thing is sound gets changed the selected output changes and I loose sound.
Have you seen anything similar?

Best regards,
voidRunner

screen7.png

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Your sound issue might be dependant on what Adelie uses for sound. Could be alsa, oss, pulseaudio, etc. One might be enabled thats trying to take over your default audio. You can enable or disable those you need or don't need in mozconfig.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Happy holidays! I messed up and forgot to change the version number in our tree (Doh!), but there are new builds available for linux and macosx. So if you've downloaded prior to 12/12/2018 please update. These are essentially 27.9.13 with 27.9.12 branding. Quite a few backports and bug fixes added, and 32-bit mac mp3 audio has been fixed. Also tested and working in the mac 32-bit build is netflix via silverlight plugin. :)

Change Log is here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki/Change-Log

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Eventually we'd like to try and get it to build for intel and ppc 10.5. It now builds on 10.6 with the 10.6sdk, which wasn't possible before. So we are closer to 10.5 support, but don't hold your breath. If it happens it'll probably be later rather than sooner. However, if you toss Linux on that G5 we have ppc builds for that.

Cheers

Last edited:

necreation

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I've just tried Arctic Fox 32bit on Snow Leopard with CoreDuo 2006 MBP 17". It's amazing to use this on this machine. The whole machine seems to comes back alive. Also just tried it on the Core2Duo 2008 Macbook. It's even more amazing that the 64bit version works even better than the 32bit version despite of both the laptop here has similar specs (2.16 Ghz dual core).

I'm also looking forward to the PPC build for 10.5.

Thanks for the great work.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Eventually we'd like to try and get it to build for intel and ppc 10.5. It now builds on 10.6 with the 10.6sdk, which wasn't possible before. So we are closer to 10.5 support, but don't hold your breath. If it happens it'll probably be later rather than sooner. However, if you toss Linux on that G5 we have ppc builds for that.

Cheers

The only problem with linux.. any version.. even Ubuntu.. I can't seem to get the installer screen to come up. It shows the splash screen and then the whole thing goes blank. I have the Nvidia 6600 256MB card.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Macbookprodude Hmmm. Try Ubuntu again. After searching a bit it appears your 6600 uses the same linux driver my 5200 uses. I have full 2D/3D acceleration on my G5. Try booting with this: video=TV-1:d nosplash (using the live cd you'd type: live video=TV-1:d nosplash)

Cheers

Reactions: pochopsp

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to select what video player is used inside
the html5 video containers as opposed to using the system video player?

Best regards,
voidRunner

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
In Ubuntu you can use the vlc browser plugin with the viewtube grease monkey script. That's what I'm using for fluid 360p playback. Same applies for osx, just it'll use QuickTime plugin instead

Cheers

Reactions: netsrot39

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2017
Hi wiknix,

Thanx for the help.
My problem was on my CoreDUO macook pro runing Lion in 32 bit.
For some reason the system player always fails with a VTDecoderXPCService error.
This kills all finder video previews, browser video and quicktime X.
I've solved/worked around the problems but video in browsers was the last thing failing.
I tried viewtube and was able to get VLC webplugin working ( version 2.2.0 ).
So now everthing is working :D .

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.