Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
Hi from France :)

My first post here and I'm grateful to this forum and wicknix. Thank you for Arcticfox (and Newmoon) I discovered, it helps me to maintain my configuration with Snow Leopard :apple:

I registred to report some problems as Articfox begins to be my default browser I can check many things.

Acticfox quits on certain links and I can't understand why despite the crashlog. These links are very often related to twitter. For example I'm on a facebook page that gives a link on a video or picture and boum.

I tried both 64B and 32B versions with the same effect.

If I can help with other details, crashlog, etc.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@snowy moon @Navy-Brat @madbiker31 Thanks for the feedback. Can you try reverting back to 27.9.13 and see if those problems disappear? If so, then it helps us narrow down what patches might be causing the crashes. If you have crashlogs etc feel free to send them to me in a private message, or post them on our issue tracker here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/issues

Here are the downloads for 27.9.13 for mac:
32-bit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncI70VEGuA3WMCyP535AKO8R1oDYvmPz/view?usp=sharing
64-bit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gP98qureTe8Mso7ZZ5_fuSexGVUe8qkn/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

kencu

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2019
I must admit I was having a lot of trouble with Arctic Fox on 10.6.8 with connections failing inconsistently, whereas TenFourFox 11 Intel was rock solid (if missing good video playback).

However, I sorted that out. The connection errors I was having appears to be due to the long-ago-installed "Little Snitch", which up to now seemed to never be in the way. I disabled that, and Arctic Fox is now working smoothly! Thanks to you and Roberto for the effort!

Reactions: wicknix

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
@wicknix I thank you again and I'm going to stop saying that, it's hard according to the happiness to use your work many hours everyday ;)

I made some tests according to your advice with version 27.9.13, 32 and 64. For information 27.9.14 (32 and 64) and 27.9.13 (34 and 64) quit on the simple link you gave me to download the prior version.

So, I decided to proceed from scratch, I disabled all add-ons and plug-ins, as the same profile is used, it was simple to test.

The good news is that in the all disabled configuration, versions 27.9.14 (32 and 64) and 27.9.13 (34 and 64) never quit again with all the buggy links I had in my mind :)

I prefer that, provide you tons of crashlogs isn't cool I guess for now.

Now I'm going to keep on testing step by step, one add-on enabled, test, one plug-in enabled, then others to find the faulty. I come back here when it's done.

@kencu I've been using Little Snitch for long ago too and it never blocked anything useful. Hopefully because I'll never disable it.
When Articfox was quiting, a crash, I never seen any alert from Little Snitch, and I have many filters configured.

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
Results of my tests confirm problems with some add-ons, Articfox is still the champ ;)

The add-ons that cause Arcticfox to quit on some links, I can't say what, I just realize that it works without :
  • Pale Moon Commander 2.0.2
  • Translate this Page, Text, or Link 2.1.0
Plus, I could'n't update the Ublock Origin 1.16.4.6. I installed I don't remember how because it doesn't appear in the list provided by http://addons.palemoon.org/ So I disabled it and installed Adblock Lattitude 5.0.1 instead. I don't know if it could be a problem later but I prefer to follow the official list of Pale Moon.

According to wicknix remark

The 32-bit version is the safe bet. The benefit to using the 32-bit version on OSX is that it's able to use all those cool 32-bit plugins, like silverlight, quicktime, iphoto etc. There aren't very many 64-bit plugins floating around for 10.6.

I choose that version from now, 27.9.14 32-bit. I enabled QuickTime 7.6.6 plug-in and Java Plug-in 3.9.8 (not Flash :rolleyes:).

If I meet some others crashs, I'll first check the add-ons before reporting

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
@wicknix Here comes confirmation, that reverting back to 27.9.13 (64bit) let "Self-Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon" v1.0.4.13 behave normally. No crash when configuring UI.
[doublepost=1548613701][/doublepost]@madbiker31 To install/update uBlock origin you need to get the latest uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi from gorhills github first github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases. At addons.palemoon.org there is "uBlock Origin Updater"-add-on, it will fetch the recent uBlock version for you thereafter.

Last edited:

Navy-Brat

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
@snowy moon @Navy-Brat @madbiker31 Thanks for the feedback. Can you try reverting back to 27.9.13 and see if those problems disappear? If so, then it helps us narrow down what patches might be causing the crashes. If you have crashlogs etc feel free to send them to me in a private message, or post them on our issue tracker here: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/issues

Here are the downloads for 27.9.13 for mac:
32-bit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ncI70VEGuA3WMCyP535AKO8R1oDYvmPz/view?usp=sharing
64-bit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gP98qureTe8Mso7ZZ5_fuSexGVUe8qkn/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

Attachments

• scrollbars.JPG
    scrollbars.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 565
  • crash.JPG
    crash.JPG
    586.5 KB · Views: 585
  • crash 2.JPG
    crash 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 565
  • chrome.JPG
    chrome.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 695
  • firefox.JPG
    firefox.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 626
Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Navy-Brat Yeah, captcha/recaptcha are problematic. Some sites with it work, some don't. You can blame google for that mess. As this browser is based on pm27 (which their devs abandoned in the fall of 2018 to create pm28) there will be some issues with certain sites (github, userstyles.org to name a few) as the internet changes and as google/chrome/blink tries to dominate and change web standards.

For a crash report your screen shot with the crash dialog box, click the blue report button, view it's contents and copy/paste that info to a txt file. Then cancel out of the report (don't hit send).

Curious why you get a system crash though. If anything just the browser should crash. Are you running any firefox extensions/add-ons by chance? Or did you copy your firefox profile to arcticfox? (bad idea). This forum should not crash, nor has anyone else reported that issue, so i'm just trying to narrow down why you are crashing so much.

@madbiker31 Nice thorough testing. Though pm commander should work fine (in theory). However quite a bit has changed under the hood. Hopefully we can find the issue and fix it in the next release.

@snowy moon Thanks. That will help us narrow down where to look.

Cheers

Navy-Brat

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
Cheers[/QUOTE]

I'll take you up on your offer "If you have crashlogs etc feel free to send them to me in a private message," how do we send you a private message?

Last edited:

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
@snowy moon With my configuration, Ublock Origin 1.16.4.6 installed, but impossible to get an update, even with uBlock Origin Updater. Last update 14 december 2018...

I just checked this myself, installed older uBlock Origin obtained from gorhills github (that’s important), than installed "uBlock Origin Updater" from PM add-on repository. Mind you, it does not update immediately, it could take a few minutes or more, but it worked in my case.

See what author of uBlock Origin Updater writes here https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16685#p121765
[doublepost=1548695061][/doublepost]
how do we send you a private message?

Click on @wicknix name, then from profile overlay choose "start a conversation", you can attach files there. Not all file types are accepted. I sent a crash report and had to append .txt to the file name otherwise it would not allow upload…

caseyac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
Madison, WI
@wicknix a Fienix (PowerPC Linux) user has reported an issue which has been reproduced by several Fienix and Ubuntu 16.04 PowerPC users. Visiting certain sites with Livestream video will cause a crash, for example: http://areena.yle.fi/tv

Terminal Output: "/usr/bin/arcticfox: line 3: 12943 Segmentation fault ./arcticfox"

Error: "28 21:39:08 X5000LNX kernel: [ 609.139851] arcticfox[5860]: bad frame in handle_rt_signal32: 00000000110f056b nip 0ddaab98 lr 00100430"

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in solving this issue.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Reactions: B S Magnet

madbiker31

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
France
I just checked this myself, installed older uBlock Origin obtained from gorhills github (that’s important), than installed "uBlock Origin Updater" from PM add-on repository. Mind you, it does not update immediately, it could take a few minutes or more, but it worked in my case.

See what author of uBlock Origin Updater writes here https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=16685#p121765

Thanks for your precisions, I installed again "uBlock Origin" 1.16.4.8 from gorhills github, same with "uBlock Origin Updater" from PM, and disabled Addblock Latitude.

I also decided to go back to .13, everything is OK :)

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I am compiling a 32-bit Linux PowerPC version of Arctic Fox 27.9.15 in a virtual 32-bit QEMU PowerPC machine (QEMU with KVM-PR support) with Lubuntu 14.04 LTS. It takes a very long time despite KVM-PR acceleration. But I can’t promise that I am successful. If I was successful then it will support older Linux distributions like Ubuntu 14.04.

Cheers,
Christian

Reactions: CooperBox

Navy-Brat

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
@Navy-Brat Yeah, captcha/recaptcha are problematic. Some sites with it work, some don't. You can blame google for that mess. As this browser is based on pm27 (which their devs abandoned in the fall of 2018 to create pm28) there will be some issues with certain sites (github, userstyles.org to name a few) as the internet changes and as google/chrome/blink tries to dominate and change web standards.

For a crash report your screen shot with the crash dialog box, click the blue report button, view it's contents and copy/paste that info to a txt file. Then cancel out of the report (don't hit send).

Curious why you get a system crash though. If anything just the browser should crash. Are you running any firefox extensions/add-ons by chance? Or did you copy your firefox profile to arcticfox? (bad idea). This forum should not crash, nor has anyone else reported that issue, so i'm just trying to narrow down why you are crashing so much.

@madbiker31 Nice thorough testing. Though pm commander should work fine (in theory). However quite a bit has changed under the hood. Hopefully we can find the issue and fix it in the next release.

@snowy moon Thanks. That will help us narrow down where to look.

Cheers

Hi Wicknix:

I'm so sorry but I'm uncomfortable posting my crashlog on a public forum. I'd really like to take you up on your offer "If you have crashlogs etc feel free to send them to me in a private message." How do we do that? Is there an email address?

Also, I've noticed that many screenshots here are similar to mine in that there are no elevators in the scrollbars. Will that , like the CAPTCHAs, be addressed in a future version?

Thank you again for all the nice work.

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
27.9.15 now available for osx and ppc Linux.

So, now I give 27.9.15 a go on OS X 10.6 64bit with almost all add-ons installed I used to have with older Pale Moon, including the problematic one ('Self-Destructing Cookies for PM' which let AF crash whenever the gui customize dialog was initiated) — and: no crashes so far with new Arctic Fox! Thanx!!

One observation: in AF 27.9.14, when I initiated gui customize dialog, underneath overlay the gui became somewhat blurry for a short period. This does not happen in 27.9.15, so I guess some (too) modern gui drawing components are reverted…

Reactions: wicknix

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I have great news for you! :)

I was able to compile Arctic Fox 27.9.15 on Lubuntu 12.04.5 LTS PowerPC today. I had to add the GCC 4.8 and the libatomic1 via the repository 'ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test'. Normally it isn't possible to compile Arctic Fox on Ubuntu 12.04.X. I successfully tested it on an installed Lubuntu 12.04.5 LTS PowerPC and on a Lubuntu 12.04.0 PowerPC live DVD.

Download: arcticfox-27.9.15-ubuntu12.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

Additionally you need the libatomic1 package.

Download: libatomic-ubuntu12.04-powerpc.tar.bz2

Please copy the file 'libatomic.so.1' to '/usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/' with the following command:

Code:
sudo cp libatomic.so.1 /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/

After that you can start Arctic Fox with:

Code:
./arcticfox

Screenshot of the 32-bit Non-AltiVec version of Arctic Fox 27.9.15 on Lubuntu 12.04.5 LTS PowerPC:

Screenshot of the 32-bit Non-AltiVec version of Arctic Fox 27.9.15 on the Lubuntu 12.04.0 LTS PowerPC live DVD:

BTW, it works on the old A-EON Ubuntu Live Remix DVD for the AmigaOne X1000 too.

Cheers,
Christian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.