Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi Wiknix,

Many thanks for the new version 27.9.14! I was able to compile the version 27.9.13 for Linux PowerPC 32-bit last year but I am not able to compile the latest version.

I tried to compile it without AltiVec support last days but it doesn't compile because I use a 64-bit kernel and a 32-bit userland. The Arctic Fox build system tries to compile 64-bit parts because of my 64-bit kernel and this doesn't work because I have only 32-bit libraries in the ubuntu MATE 16.04.5 userland. I switched to the 32-bit target (ac_add_options --target=powerpc-pc-linux-gnu) and after that it compiled further but it has detected my 64-bit kernel and after that the compiling has been stopped.

This is my .mozconfig:

# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

export CC="gcc -m32 -flax-vector-conversions -O3 -mcpu=G3 -mtune=G3 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export CXX="g++ -m32 -flax-vector-conversions -fpermissive -O3 -mcpu=G3 -mtune=G3 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export LDFLAGS="-latomic"

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/obj-ff-dbg

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --target=powerpc-pc-linux
ac_add_options --disable-js

—-

Could you please compile a Linux Non-AltiVec version on your Power Mac?

Thanks,
Christian

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I have the same issue on my power mac g5. 64bit kernel, 32bit userland. However, this is where the old mac mini g4 comes in. :)

I'm building a generic non-altivec version now, and with any luck it'll be finished in 6-7 hours. I still find it insane that a lowly Intel 1.83ghz c2d can do these builds in 75 minutes, and the 1.5ghz g4 takes almost half a day. :eek:

And for the snow leopard users... 27.9.14 is now available.

EDIT: PowerPC Linux build is also now available.

Cheers

Last edited:

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
I have the same issue on my power mac g5. 64bit kernel, 32bit userland. However, this is where the old mac mini g4 comes in. :)

I'm building a generic non-altivec version now, and with any luck it'll be finished in 6-7 hours.

Many many thanks!!!!!

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Wow, been a way from my Mac for about 5 yrs, g5 Intel c2d.I could go one up on OS from SL but after some reading it looked like I was better off staying at SL. I'm not to knowledgeable ATM or PC skill are pretty bad atm but from what I read I believe has this 32 efi thing on my Mac mentioned above. Anyways, that said don't have any help on building or helping but could anybody try this browser mentioned? Thanks in advance, from what little I know, besides a nice job getting it together, it sounds really good.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi Wicknix,

Thanks a lot for compiling Arctic Fox 27.9.14 for Linux PowerPC 32-bit! :)

I successfully tested it on the following Linux PowerPC distributions today (see screenshots below):

• ubuntu MATE 16.04.5 LTS PowerPC
  • Debian Sid PowerPC
  • Fienix PowerPC
  • MATE PowerPC Remix 0.9

It works fantastic and it is really fast! Many thanks for your great work!

Cheers,
Christian

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Wow, been a way from my Mac for about 5 yrs, g5 Intel c2d.I could go one up on OS from SL but after some reading it looked like I was better off staying at SL. I'm not to knowledgeable ATM or PC skill are pretty bad atm but from what I read I believe has this 32 efi thing on my Mac mentioned above. Anyways, that said don't have any help on building or helping but could anybody try this browser mentioned? Thanks in advance, from what little I know, besides a nice job getting it together, it sounds really good.
Never mind, found my answer. Like to figure things myself but sometimes I miss something or need to get pointed in right direction (not to mentioned recovering from injuries, eye among them happers my abilities sometimes). Anyways, won't go into it but now have time to explore all this stuff, hopefully can be quick study, keep on keeping on, ty

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Just a quick report to say that Arctic Fox 27.9.14 is running perfectly on my Dual Core 2.3GHz G5 under Ubuntu MATE 16.04.5 LTS

Screenshot at 2019-01-22 11:58:01.jpg

The bundled old version of Firefox (v47.0) wasn't ever able to load YouTube videos in the browser. Arctic Fox appears to handle it with ease! No signs of the fans reving up. CPU usage is a steady 60 - 70% for 480p and plays in the background fine while I am doing other tasks on the system and browsing other sites (all stock settings - no javascript optimizations or other extensions).

Thank you to all contributors! This is a fantastic browser!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad to hear it. You could probably knock that cpu usage down to below 50% on your machine if you install grease monkey, the viewtube script, and vlc browser plugin. It made a huge difference on my mini g4. 90% cpu on 360p videos via html5 vs about 60% cpu use with the plugin active.

Cheers

Reactions: AphoticD

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Like to give this a try soon., not sure if will or how will work with but trying to figure if go with the 32 or 64 bit. If understand my machine capable of running 64 bit but with 2 gb of ram a 32 might be better option. If don't make sense forgive me, just dstarted learning about all this 32 efi, intel, c2d etc about 10 days ago. Hopefully soon, Anyways, againthanks for putting this togethertogether.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The 32-bit version is the safe bet. The benefit to using the 32-bit version on OSX is that it's able to use all those cool 32-bit plugins, like silverlight, quicktime, iphoto etc. There aren't very many 64-bit plugins floating around for 10.6.

Cheers

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
The 32-bit version is the safe bet. The benefit to using the 32-bit version on OSX is that it's able to use all those cool 32-bit plugins, like silverlight, quicktime, iphoto etc. There aren't very many 64-bit plugins floating around for 10.6.

Cheers
thank you so much, didn't wanna bother. Just really started learning 32 and 64 bit etc.and all (kind of good timing in a way) Confusing but good last couple of days trying to take it all, hopefully getting better idea. ty again
[doublepost=1548135470][/doublepost]
thank you so much, didn't wanna bother. Just really started learning 32 and 64 bit etc.and all (kind of good timing in a way) Confusing but good last couple of days trying to take it all, hopefully getting better idea. ty again
I'm sorry meant to say bother ya with my newbie issues. Anyways, excited to try this, get in tom.

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
All installed, Current edition, looking good, on intel 32 bit. On set up, don't remember having any profile to add, whetever, had pretty wiped out with an reinstall while back, not sure if good or bad but clicked through. Add ons, plug ins etc. been so long since used gonna have to read up or it come to me as go along, add em in as needed if poss.as go along. Anyways, current and amazing. Ty
[doublepost=1548210127][/doublepost]
All installed, Current edition, looking good, on intel 32 bit. On set up, don't remember having any profile to add, whetever, had pretty wiped out with an reinstall while back, not sure if good or bad but clicked through. Add ons, plug ins etc. been so long since used gonna have to read up or it come to me as go along, add em in as needed if poss.as go along. Anyways, current and amazing. Ty
On edit for spelling and to add amazing thread. On the add on and plug ins, from those mentioned few earlier, be putting those in. Not sure if any or what if any need be mandatory as not sure in their works but hopefully some will be around for a while just in case.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I've been preparing a MBPro1,1 for sale, and just downloaded & installed the 32bit version of Arctic Fox 27.9.14 . The results in one word......amazing!
Prior to that I was browsing with a not-so-recent FireFox and also TFFox FP9, neither of which were particularly speedy.
Also popped in a Samsung SSD and re-installed Snow-Leopard (just love that OS), which although not noticing any significant change in the 29sec boot time, has certainly made this old girl generally far more responsive.

So, many thanks to Wiknix, and others involved for bringing us Arctic Fox.
Now if only there was an add-on to rid it's web pages of those pesky ads and banners as efficiently as FFox and TFFox does with uBlockOrigin and uMatrix. That would be more than icing on the cake!

AFox MBPro1.1.jpg

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad it's working well. Go to tools -> add-ons and click get add-ons. From pale moons add-ons repository get adblock latitude. On the right side you'll see "older versions". Click on the one designed for pale moon 27.

Or from arctic Fox's download page, click the add-ons link. You can get ublock origin from there.

Cheers

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Glad it's working well. Go to tools -> add-ons and click get add-ons. From pale moons add-ons repository get adblock latitude. On the right side you'll see "older versions". Click on the one designed for pale moon 27.

Or from arctic Fox's download page, click the add-ons link. You can get ublock origin from there.

Cheers
Brilliant, thank you. This worked a treat! Now that the browser is running so well I don't think I'll mess with it further.
I mention this because the first time it was downloaded it ran well, and I attempted to make a few tweaks via about:config as indicated in one of eyoungren posts and also described HERE. The 3 in particular that I've always changed in either FFox or TFF without problems have been the following:
geo.enabled = false
network.cookie.cookieBehavior = 1
network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2

After making those changes Arctic Fox failed to load correctly. Ditto after a reboot. I then found I couldn't even access about:config from within the address bar. Why should that be? Does that imply that one should attempt no changes to the browser's security behaviour?
After a reinstall of Arctic Fox all was ok again, so as mentioned above I'll mess no further.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
About:config does work. Not sure why yours isn't working. I do highly suggest not messing with settings directly though. All relevant security risks are removed from the code or disabled by default. Neckowifi, geolocation, webrtc, eme. etc. Maybe it's possible that disabling something that's been removed breaks the browser.

Cheers

Reactions: CooperBox

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Hi All,

I was able to build Arctic Fox 27.9.14 PowerPC64 on Fedora 27 PPC64 today.

The first compiling wasn't successfull. I had to downgrade the GCC from version 7.3.1 to 6.4.1 with the command 'sudo dnf downgrade gcc gcc-c++ --releasever=25'. Additionally I integrated some parts of the AMD64 .mozconfig to my Non-AltiVec .mozconfig. After that I was able to compile it without any problems. Unfortunately I wasn't able to start it. I got the following error: '<jemalloc>: (malloc) Error in munmap();'. I added 'ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc' to the .mozconfig. After a new compiling it works without any problems.

.mozconfig

Code:
# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

export CC="gcc -flax-vector-conversions -O3 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export CXX="g++ -flax-vector-conversions -fpermissive -O3 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16 -falign-jumps=16"
export LDFLAGS="-latomic"

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/obj-ff-dbg

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -fno-schedule-insns2 -fno-lifetime-dse -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"
ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc

I used these commands to build, test, and package:

Code:
./mach build
(starts the configuration and build process)
Code:
./mach run
(tests completed build with scratch profile)
Code:
./mach package
(creates the self contained archive which you'll find in <Arctic Fox src directory>/obj-ff-dbg/dist)

Download: arcticfox-27.9.14.linux-powerpc64.tar.bz2

It is important to compile a 64-bit PowerPC version of Arctic Fox because Firefox doesn't work reliable on Fedora PPC64. Midori also isn't a good option because it crashes very often on Fedora PPC64. The same problems on openSUSE Tumbleweed PPC64 so Arctic Fox is the solution. :) Arctic Fox is the best browser we have on Linux PPC currently. Many thanks to Riccardo Mottola for his help with the compiling of a PPC64 version.

Screenshots of Arctic Fox 27.9.14 on Fedora 27 Server PPC64 (A-EON AmigaOne X5000):

Screenshot of Arctic Fox 27.9.14 on openSUSE Tumbleweed PPC64 (A-EON AmigaOne X1000):

Cheers,
Christian

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Picture pretty wild on above post (cube, 3d desktop version), never seen something like that. Was just go on a add, think only change I made was to Remember History in pref-privacy, if remember, it ask me to reboot attic fox (believe that's what it asked) but did that and seam to work fine. Other thing was, wasn't sure what add one etc. were (had some idea). Was kind of overwhelmed little bit but was checking em out and came to me. Was reading last night and if got that right, ways could kind of customize and stuff, and wow, lots of options, awesome.
[doublepost=1548374689][/doublepost]
Picture pretty wild on above post (cube, 3d desktop version), never seen something like that. Was just go on a add, think only change I made was to Remember History in pref-privacy, if remember, it ask me to reboot attic fox (believe that's what it asked) but did that and seam to work fine. Other thing was, wasn't sure what add one etc. were (had some idea). Was kind of overwhelmed little bit but was checking em out and came to me. Was reading last night and if got that right, ways could kind of customize and stuff, and wow, lots of options, awesome.
OT note but seeing stuff posted and not understanding it, took trip to library, pick up few books. So hopefully it will help educate me somewhat to get an idea of some things.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
@wicknix

How long do you plan on keeping it updated on Snow Leopard? I like it a lot... but don't want to get attached to it unless it will get updates for a while.

Do you take donations?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@timidpimpin Thanks. We currently don't ask for or take donations. Since we have no hosting costs (github is free) and since we are using and modifying open source code it would be unethical. Thanks for the offer though.

Riccardo and I will go for as long as we can. I'd figure we can get another year or two out of the code base before the internet changes too drastically to keep up. At that point about all we could do is keep certificates up to date. However if more skilled people join in the effort it's possible we could implement the changes needed when the time comes. Right now it's just a 2 man show.

Having said all that, you should see updates for at least 12-24 months, possibly more.

Cheers

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Ad block above mention and going with pale moon 27. Sorry to sound confused, was hopefully looking for maybe a little guidence on this one Just checking about the version or compatibility choices, as one Im looking at (tools etc) is good for PM 27to28 but also see a version that's good with PM 25 to 27. Hopefully in right spot for that paticular add on but mentioned pm27 wasn't sure that was on low end or high (if understand that ad both had 27 in their version) Doing a couple tweaks that looks like a keeper, any help be appreciated, plus I'll could apply in similar, thanks. On edit just saw that timeline and donation, wondering that also, not to mentioned thought it made sense to go lower version on my ad bloc diliema

Last edited:

snowy moon

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Northern Europe
Hello wicknix, I'm late to the party it seems… thanks a lot for making Arctic Fox!

I found a problem, though – BTW my system is snow leopard on intel running Arctic Fox 27.9.14 (64-bit).

To reproduce: install add-on "Self-Destructing Cookies for Pale Moon" v1.0.4.13, then when you right-click on whatever UI element and choose "Customize" from context menu, the browser crashes.

This happens also in fresh profile. Disclaimer: I choose add-on from addons.palemoon.org. Are there differences in add-on versions from your repository?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Add-ons compatible with pm27 are the ones that will work. Thanks for pointing it out. If you could, create a bug report on our github page in the issue tracker. A lot of things have changed internally since pm27's last release. Might be something we changed that broke that add-on. (Or that version).

Cheers

Navy-Brat

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
I also wanted to thank you Wicknix. You've saved our computers with your ArticFox project.

I wanted to report a bug though. I have a 2.16 Ghz 17" MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.8 (the highest these computers will go because they are 32-bit (1st-gen. Intel MacBooks). As a result, I am using the 32-bit ArticFox 27.9.14 browser which works great with everything I've thrown at it, but pages 2 - 5 of this thread on this website always brings down my whole computer. I can go out to page 1 of this thread, but not 2 - 5 and I'm too afraid to test other MacRumor threads because I don't want to damage my hard drive with too many crashes (I've lost another computer that way before).

Can I send you some kind of crash report an, if so, how do I do that? Take care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.