Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you sign up for public iOS 9 beta?

• Yes! On day one.

Votes: 90 53.6%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Want to but can't install it on my primary device.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • No. I'd rather wait for polished version.

Votes: 38 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
As pointed out by 9to5Mac and Re/Code, Apple is going to start public beta for iOS 9. What are your views? Are you going to sign up for iOS 9 testing? Or wait for the polished version?

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Yes. I am interested to know how they carry on about fixing bugs and improving performance on older devices.

It's funny because it goes against Apple's very own and trademarked "Planned Obsolescence" strategy.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Yes. I am interested to know how they carry on about fixing bugs and improving performance on older devices.

It's funny because it goes against Apple's very own and trademarked "Planned Obsolescence" strategy.

I don't think that was confirmed. Many people just assumed it was; but in all fairness we will never know :p

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

I'm not prepared to download a Beta onto my primary device and I do not have a secondary to do so.

So I'll be watching the early adopters.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Hi

I'm not prepared to download a Beta onto my primary device and I do not have a secondary to do so.

So I'll be watching the early adopters.

So you're not gonna install it right?
As Apple will be signing few of us for beta. So if you're not signing up early there would be no beta spot left. :apple:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'll set it up on my iPad and iPhone ASAP. Install on iPad first, make sure everything is OK, then install it on my iPhone. Probably both on the same day, maybe a day apart. I want to beta test it though.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014

This is what i need to see. I'm having a feeling they're going to support 4S too if iOS 9 is not much about features & more performance improvement update like they did with OS X Mavericks.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

If it runs on my iPad 2, I'll do it. Won't put it on my iPhone though as I need it too much. Excited if it does run on older devices and if it does improve performance.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
So you're not gonna install it right?
As Apple will be signing few of us for beta. So if you're not signing up early there would be no beta spot left. :apple:

That's correct as I've stated I currently have no intentions plus the fact that I'm jail broken too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
People complain about how buggy iOS8 is, I can't imagine wanting to install a beta that could be even buggier on my phone. I need my phone to be operational, and while its cool to see what apple will be doing next, rolling the dice on a beta software just doesn't do it for me.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I will try it on my iPad mini since I don't want to spoil my iPhone backups with beta crap. And I also don't want to bother with setting up my iPhone as new only to try a iOS beta 2-3 months earlier. :rolleyes:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I will pass.

I have no secondary device to try this on, and I got burned enough by the ios7 beta (broke the mailbox app, resulting in repeated notifications for several months) that I don't want to risk my daily drivers (both my iPhone and iPad) for what is probably a few days of novelty at most.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
These comments say a lot about Apples software quality these days where users don't even trust a free offer from Apple. :p

I won't bite as I won't be able to go back to 7 on my iPad 2.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The poll results (at least as of right now) are comical and very puzzling! All of the iOS-related forums are full of hatred and venom because of alleged bugs, lag, etc., and yet a large majority is going to install the beta immediately after it becomes available??? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I don't want to cause more issues for either my iPhone or iPad, but I'm sure the final release of iOS 9 will be tolerable. Plus going through the beta the whole summer would take the magic out of when it becomes a final release :D

It all depends on how the beta runs anyway. If it looks pretty smooth and it fixes a HUGE amount of bugs and especially UI lag, I will be very tempted. I doubt it will start off very sweet though lol.

Do you think they will return the bug reporter app? Since its a public beta people are going to be using the OS as usual where previously developers mainly would be using it to see how their apps run on it. This will result in more thorough usage of all the features, revealing bugs that may have otherwise been left more in the dark only to be found in the final public release. However there's also the fact that people will go "WHATSAPP WONT WORK FACEBOOK WONT WORK THIS RUINNED MY IPHONE" which wouldn't be helpful at all. I just think it could potentially be beneficial for Apple to directly be told about bugs in order to make iOS 9 a better stability update.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Hopefully someone can report if the public beta is available for the iPad 2/3. That should give us an answer if those devices will receive the public release.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I think it's going to have separate betas like they did with Yosemite last year. Developer betas and public betas. In that case I'll still test the developer betas instead of the public beta. It gets less updates than the developer betas.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
I think it's going to have separate betas like they did with Yosemite last year. Developer betas and public betas. In that case I'll still test the developer betas instead of the public beta. It gets less updates than the developer betas.

I second this, they will release no less than DP3, a more "stable" release for the public to test. I'm sure by then this forum will be flooded with posts from non-devs and get a lot of "you expected this" replies.

I think they should adopt a simple test when you apply for the program. If you fail, it will disencourage you to install.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm tempted to do it on my iPad Mini 1st gen if it's supported. No way I'll do it on my iPhone 5 since that's my primary device, and it must function properly. Of course if iOS 9 is like its predecessors, then I probably won't want it on either device anyway.

What I find really interesting is that I did the Yosemite PB on a second partition on my secondary mid-2009 MBP with very few problems. Then I installed it on my main partition for the public release and have experienced slowdowns that were not present before. So I'll be wary of running a beta even if it runs well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.