Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you sign up for public iOS 9 beta?

• Yes! On day one.

Votes: 90 53.6%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Want to but can't install it on my primary device.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • No. I'd rather wait for polished version.

Votes: 38 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
People complain about how buggy iOS8 is, I can't imagine wanting to install a beta that could be even buggier on my phone. I need my phone to be operational, and while its cool to see what apple will be doing next, rolling the dice on a beta software just doesn't do it for me.

The poll results (at least as of right now) are comical and very puzzling! All of the iOS-related forums are full of hatred and venom because of alleged bugs, lag, etc., and yet a large majority is going to install the beta immediately after it becomes available??? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Difference is that currently iOS 8 is a Final Release. If I wanted to revert an older device from iOS 8 to 7 it would be impossible. I'd expect the amount of bugs iOS 8 has now in a Beta 4 release, not a Final Release. Apple screwed it up and that's why people (me included) compain. I want to be in the Beta program to help produce more bug reports so another iOS 8 doesn't wide up in our Settings app bugging us to upgrade.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Day one! I enjoyed when I was beta-testing Windows 7 and can't wait to beta-test iOS 9.

xanadeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
California
The number of people saying yes concerns me a bit.

Remember: This is test software. If installed on your primary device you are putting yourself at risk for data loss, among other things such as security risk to to possible flaws, etc.

It killed my soul, but I waited to get Yosemite on my MacBook until it was officially released for the same reason. Just be careful people.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I really want to, but unliked my Mac, I can't partition my iOS devices.

I take my iPad to school for notes and and university work, I can't afford to have crashes and data loss. I depende on my iPhone for communication so I can't risk any failures with that either.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Lot of users on these forums bitch and complain about every bug they find in iOS and yet 56% are ready to install a BETA of iOS 9 on day one?

I give up. Macrumors, you make no sense!

doublex14

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
PA
I'll set it up on my iPad and iPhone ASAP. Install on iPad first, make sure everything is OK, then install it on my iPhone. Probably both on the same day, maybe a day apart. I want to beta test it though.

That's what I've done with mostly every iOS 7 and iOS 8 beta. It's a good plan when you want the latest and greatest but cannot afford to mess up your iPhone.

El Tuga

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Lisbon
No iOS 9 beta for me. But would gladly re-install iOS 6 if they allow it. ;)

----------

The poll results (at least as of right now) are comical and very puzzling! All of the iOS-related forums are full of hatred and venom because of alleged bugs, lag, etc., and yet a large majority is going to install the beta immediately after it becomes available??? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

That's human nature for you...;) but yes, we should have learned the lesson from the 2 last clumsy iterations.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
People do it all the time when Rooting and Jailbreaking. Some of us are more adventurous. I have seen a lot of Noobs just dive in on Rooting and Flashing Roms and winding up in big trouble.

I don't know if beta testing an iOS is similar. I would like to try. But, think I am too new to iPhones to get myself out of trouble.

Assume once you take the beta, you can't restore 8.1.3? Just wait for the next 9.? beta and hope it gets you fixed up???

Plus, do any apps then not work on 9.?, till devs rewrite them?

Still a lot to learn--:(

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Does anyone know if the recent betas still deactivate on unregistered devices? If not, this might have been a move to encourage public use or maybe to fight people who try to make a profit from it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Lot of users on these forums bitch and complain about every bug they find in iOS and yet 56% are ready to install a BETA of iOS 9 on day one?

I give up. Macrumors, you make no sense!

You seem to be assuming that the people who are complaining about bugs in iOS are the same people who are ready to install the beta. That's a poor assumption.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
You seem to be assuming that the people who are complaining about bugs in iOS are the same people who are ready to install the beta. That's a poor assumption.

You may be right but I'm not the only one who feels this way if you glance over the other posts.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Am I !

How so ?

I must have missed installing a 'Beta' iOS #
Pretty much iOS 8 is a mess right now and feels very unfinished. Beta-like.

THIS. I can see where the others are coming from, but that 50 some percent people were talking about that said they will install the beta doesn't represent the other 50 some percent who said otherwise. The people who said they were not going to install immediately are most likely the people who you see that complain about the bugs here.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Any chance of iPhone 4S being supported for iOS 9? I'm having a feeling it'll be supported!:apple:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Why would anyone do that? We all know that IOS9 is just going to be another minor update.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Pretty much iOS 8 is a mess right now and feels very unfinished. Beta-like.

I get what your saying but theirs a bit of a difference to installing a Beta iOS and one that's undergoing patches but has been officially released by 

Lots of examples can be given I'm sure of the differences between the two but For one its my understanding that an  Store will not currently help an end user if their iPhone / iPad is running a Beta iOS. (Unless they've changed that ?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.