Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only thing that's basic is those headphones they're giving you. Why would you prefer those in box over the AirPods?
[doublepost=1473291135][/doublepost]

Exactly. Many people are going to be so mad about this.
It's not about what I would prefer. I would prefer they would give me the wireless ones in addition to the wired ones. But we aren't talking about what I or anyone else would prefer or anything like that.

We are talking about finding it somehow outrageous or ridiculous or unreasonable that they aren't including the more expensive better versions essentially for free with the device. Given that basic reality of pretty much any business and products out there and even the past and current Apple products shows how that's nothing new or surprising (and certainly far from outrageous or ridiculous or unreasonable). That's what we are talking about.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's not about what I would prefer. I would prefer they would give me the wireless ones in addition to the wired ones. But we aren't talking about what I would prefer or anything like that.

We are talking about finding it somehow outrageous or ridiculous or unreasonable that they aren't including the more expensive better versions essentially for free with the device. Given that basic reality of pretty much any business and products out there and even the past and current Apple products shows how that's nothing new or surprising (and certainly far from outrageous or ridiculous or unreasonable). That's what we are talking about.

What you want doesn't matter? That's exactly the problem. The customer doesn't matter anymore.
[doublepost=1473291709][/doublepost]
The air pods do operate over Bluetooth.

They have some W1 chip they said that's better than blue.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's not about what I would prefer. I would prefer they would give me the wireless ones in addition to the wired ones. But we aren't talking about what I would prefer or anything like that.

From reviews I've read it's being said they sound just like standard EarPods. That's a little disappointing. In sure as time goes on we will get more information, but damn, if they're literally just Bluetooth EarPods with $130 added to the price tag idk what to think lol.
[doublepost=1473291762][/doublepost]
What you want doesn't matter? That's exactly the problem. The customer doesn't matter anymore.

They still operate over Bluetooth though. And the way I know this is that they wouldn't work with any older devices if they didn't (and yet they're compatible with practically the entire gamut of Apple products).

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
From reviews I've read it's being said they sound just like standard EarPods. That's a little disappointing. In sure as time goes on we will get more information, but damn, if they're literally just Bluetooth EarPods with $130 added to the price tag idk what to think lol.
[doublepost=1473291762][/doublepost]
They still operate over Bluetooth though. And the way I know this is that they wouldn't work with any older devices if they didn't (and yet they're compatible with practically the entire gamut of Apple products).

Whaaaa? If they aren't as good as my Bose or beats than that's really bad.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Clearly what doesn't matter to you is reality. Either on purpose or otherwise. Judging by various other threads it's hard to tell whether it's on purposes or not, but it seems that enough of them have gone down a similar path (and ended up being removed essentially). And when someone simply ignores reality there's really not much of a discussion to be had there since nothing that would be said would really make sense to someone that just goes with whatever they feel like they want to imagine. So it seems like it's best left at that given that there's really nowhere it could go (and apparently nowhere it could have really gone from the beginning).

magrat22

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ummm the AirPods don't have blue tooth FYI
[doublepost=1473291310][/doublepost]

Emm yes they do, how do you think they interact with your phone..magic.

From the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Connections
AirPods: Bluetooth

Charging Case: Lightning connector

AirPods Sensors (each):
Dual beam-forming microphones

Dual optical sensors

Motion-detecting accelerometer

Speech-detecting accelerometer

Power and Battery
AirPods with Charging Case: More than 24 hours listening time,(3) up to 11 hours talk time(6)

AirPods (single charge): Up to 5 hours listening time,(2) Up to 2 hours talk time(5)

15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time(4) or over an hour of talk time(7)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Including wired EarPods with a Phone that doesn't have a headphone output. Those guys at Apple are real geniuses.

Reactions: dazz87

magrat22

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ummm the AirPods don't have blue tooth FYI
[doublepost=1473291310][/doublepost]

Exactly! Apple had their chance but missed it. They're already charging 650.

What's the reason for the 650? New colors?

Please.

They always charge that and people pay it. It's for new camera, processor, better battery all the usual updates.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
$159 bucks for 5 hours of battery...........Apple on crack again.
I honestly don't find that to be such an unreasonable battery life. Considering the case stores 24 hours, and I don't see it wise to these anywhere but the case, I think this will be doable for most people.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Emm yes they do, how do you think they interact with your phone..magic.

From the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Connections
AirPods: Bluetooth

Charging Case: Lightning connector

AirPods Sensors (each):
Dual beam-forming microphones

Dual optical sensors

Motion-detecting accelerometer

Speech-detecting accelerometer

Power and Battery
AirPods with Charging Case: More than 24 hours listening time,(3) up to 11 hours talk time(6)

AirPods (single charge): Up to 5 hours listening time,(2) Up to 2 hours talk time(5)

15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time(4) or over an hour of talk time(7)

I was under the impression no Bluetooth.

That W1 chip seemed like the only thing.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I honestly don't find that to be such an unreasonable battery life. Considering the case stores 24 hours, and I don't see it wise to these anywhere but the case, I think this will be doable for most people.
My Epic gets over 10 hours for 99 bucks......

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Including wired EarPods with a Phone that doesn't have a headphone output. Those guys at Apple are real geniuses.
EarPods that work through the lightning connector which is still there.

There's also an adapter that is included as well for wired headphones that don't support the lightning connector. Let's at least pretend to get the facts right.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The adapter is included as well.

But using an adapter is a step backwards from the older iPhone 6S plus. It doesn't make any sense that the iPhone 7 should be used that way as it is less user friendly.

The removal of the headphone output only makes sense if you are using headphones that has a DAC inside with a lighting cable or wireless headphones.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Bose and beats use 3.5.

Which is still usable with the adaptor in the box.
[doublepost=1473292532][/doublepost]
But using an adapter is a step backwards from the older iPhone 6S plus. The removal of the headphone output only makes sense if you are using headphones that has a DAC inside with a lighting cable or wireless headphones.

It's a bridge, nothing more. 3.5mm is now considered legacy as far as Apple are concerned. It's gone from iPhones and it will be gone from iPads and Macs before long. You don't have to like it - other brands of consumer electronics are available.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Which is still usable with the adaptor in the box.
[doublepost=1473292532][/doublepost]

It's a bridge, nothing more. 3.5mm is now considered legacy as far as Apple are concerned. It's gone from iPhones and it will be gone from iPads and Macs before long. You don't have to like it - other brands of consumer electronics are available.

As others are saying on here having to use an adapter is a step backward.

What they needed to do is keep the jack AND include AirPods with iPhone 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.