Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Nobody really wants lightning connectors unless ALL companies switch. Bose and beats use 3.5.
Which is still usable with the adaptor in the box.
[doublepost=1473292532][/doublepost]

It's a bridge, nothing more. 3.5mm is now considered legacy as far as Apple are concerned. It's gone from iPhones and it will be gone from iPads and Macs before long. You don't have to like it - other brands of consumer electronics are available.

I use an external DAC / amp so for me it's no problem.

But for an average consumer who does not take audio seriously, Apple should have included the wireless EarPods since the use of an adapter is a downgrade over the iPhone 6S plus.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But using an adapter is a step backwards from the older iPhone 6S plus. It doesn't make any sense that the iPhone 7 should be used that way as it is less user friendly.

The removal of the headphone output only makes sense if you are using headphones that has a DAC inside with a lighting cable or wireless headphones.
Included headphones have a lightning connector.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My Epic gets over 10 hours for 99 bucks......
In the same form factor? Can you link me to this product?

Edit: so I looked these up. Unless they make a product I haven't been able to find, these are all still corded (to each other). I don't consider that the same thing.

This isn't in defense of Apple. I think the cost is a bit steep, and I don't think they look all that nice, but they are actually on par in battery life with items in their class. To be honest price is close too. I'd compare them most to
Samsung gear and bragi dash.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh really? Then I take everything back what I said then. Thought it was the same EarPods that came with the iPhone 6S plus.
No, they are ones with a lightning connector. And in addition an adapter for older or other wired headphones is included as well.

It's a bridge, nothing more. 3.5mm is now considered legacy as far as Apple are concerned. It's gone from iPhones and it will be gone from iPads and Macs before long. You don't have to like it - other brands of consumer electronics are available.
There will always be other brands available. People can't keep using that argument. The fact is that for most people, the iPhone simple works, and works well and it's the only device that meets "most" people's expectations. It's not without it's drawbacks for sure when you compare it to Android.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to expect the 3.5 mm jack to remain. Many people still charge their devices and listen to it via wired headphones at the office, on the bus, airplane, car, etc.

As far as manufacturers go, they will make whatever the public wants. And Apple has been pretty good in telling consumers what they want and need.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
No, they are ones with a lightning connector. And in addition an adapter for older or other wired headphones is included as well.

Yeah, I just saw on the Apple website. EarPods with lighting cable is included. I suppose that is acceptable.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
There will always be other brands available. People can't keep using that argument. The fact is that for most people, the iPhone simple works, and works well and it's the only device that meets "most" people's expectations. It's not without it's drawbacks for sure when you compare it to Android.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to expect the 3.5 mm jack to remain. Many people still charge their devices and listen to it via wired headphones at the office, on the bus, airplane, car, etc.

As far as manufacturers go, they will make whatever the public wants. And Apple has been pretty good in telling consumers what they want and need.

There's really nothing to argue here. I'm sure apple factored in the fractional percentage of people who would alter their purchasing decisions because of the removal and they decided to remove it anyway. Clearly they calculated that the threat was less than the advantages. Case closed.

magrat22

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh really? Then I take everything back what I said then. Thought it was the same EarPods that came with the iPhone 6S plus.

Exactly, I do listen to music while charging so am a little disappointed by the removal of the 3.5 mm jack but at the same time I'm sure a solution will present itself it always does.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
In the same form factor? Can you link me to this product?

Edit: so I looked these up. Unless they make a product I haven't been able to find, these are all still corded (to each other). I don't consider that the same thing.

This isn't in defense of Apple. I think the cost is a bit steep, and I don't think they look all that nice, but they are actually on par in battery life with items in their class. To be honest price is close too. I'd compare them most to
Samsung gear and bragi dash.
http://www.jlabaudio.com/products/epic-bluetooth-earbuds?variant=23929632775

Wait up..............so its still corded because it connect to each other???..........Unreal........ Why does it matter if there is a cord between both ear bug........the main goal is no cord to the phone.........

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
http://www.jlabaudio.com/products/epic-bluetooth-earbuds?variant=23929632775

Wait up..............so its still corded because it connect to each other???..........Unreal........ Why does it matter if there is a cord between both ear bug........the main goal is no cord to the phone.........
To me it does matter because it's a matter of comfort. If I'm going to demand wireless I'd want truly wireless. If the cord is going to be around bothering me, there is no benefit in my life not being tethered to the phone; I only use the headphones working out and the phone is in a flip band around my waist anyway.

That's the beauty of choice. If you don't care that's fine. For me, if I'm already forced to charge yet another thing, using it better be as seamless as possible for me to consider it. I'd honestly rather have a fully corded headset (that therefore requires no charging) than what you linked me. To each their own.

jpep

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Can't charge at the same time. Apple cmon boo hiss, probably come out with double adapter
To charge and listen to music soon after the complaints or class action as always.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The problem here is the removal of the 3.5 jack.

Many people still have headphones that use it and don't want to use the adapter.

Apple needed to have included the AirPods to fix this problem.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The problem here is the removal of the 3.5 jack.

Many people still have headphones that use it and don't want to use the adapter.

Apple needed to have included the AirPods to fix this problem.

Did that post sound sane to you when you typed it?

Having 3.5mm earphones and not wanting to use the adapter is indeed a problem. It's just not Apple's problem.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Did that post sound sane to you when you typed it?

Having 3.5mm earphones and not wanting to use the adapter is indeed a problem. It's just not Apple's problem.

What?!?!?

If people don't buy the iPhone it's apples problems.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
IPhone sales are slowing isn't that right?

The customer matters.

Wait so you're saying that "iPhone sales are slowing" because Apple removed the headphone jack 2 quarters later? That probably made sense in your head.

btw I like that your "are airpods included gaiz!? xD" troll mask has slipped so thoroughly now.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Wait so you're saying that "iPhone sales are slowing" because Apple removed the headphone jack 2 quarters later? That probably made sense in your head.

btw I like that your "are airpods included gaiz!? xD" troll mask has slipped so thoroughly now.

The only thing that has slipped is iPhone sales

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Growth (not sales) down for two quarters in almost 10 years. Top selling phone of the year. Apple are doomed without a headphone jack

Apple might be doomed bc they didn't include the Airbus
[doublepost=1473304364][/doublepost]
They sound better than the Bose. I've been testing them for months.

Then I might get some. Do they work with 6S

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Whaaaa? If they aren't as good as my Bose or beats than that's really bad.
You're probably paying for all the crazy sensors, mics and whatnot. After they did all that there was no more budget to put where it counts, the sound quality.

Personally I don't know that I would buy these even at a third of the cost, as this shape does not like to stay in my ears very long. They need to be bulked up or something.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Airpods will be available in late Oct for a hefty price of $159
Very unlikely they'll sound as good as Bose
Probably as safe as any other bluetooth device.

Please explain why they won't sound as good as Bose.

Because Bose has lots of marketing in that area, and Apple has not?

Also, Bose products suck, there's nothing that comes even close to the AirPods.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Please explain why they won't sound as good as Bose.

Because Bose has lots of marketing in that area, and Apple has not?

Also, Bose products suck, there's nothing that comes even close to the AirPods.

Have you tried Bose?

Have you tried AirPods?
[doublepost=1473305843][/doublepost]
You're probably paying for all the crazy sensors, mics and whatnot. After they did all that there was no more budget to put where it counts, the sound quality.

Personally I don't know that I would buy these even at a third of the cost, as this shape does not like to stay in my ears very long. They need to be bulked up or something.

Agreed. I think you're paying for the tech.

Plus I'm sure the sound quality will improve in future generations. That's kind of how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.