Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I must have banged on for 3 years for Apple to make a new "smaller" phone, very much in line with what they did with the iPhone 12 Mini.

But now that they made it, I just am not sure I can swallow buying it.

Disclosure - my 128GB SE1 needs a new screen at this very moment. Normally I'd be saying "perfect timing!" -- but then I start to pencil out spending $20-100 for a new SE1 screen (either aftermarket or swapping one out of a used SE) -- and weigh it against the 256GB 12Mini I'd probably get...and after taxes, it's a difference of around probably close to $900

($879+tax = $931 where I am)

Say $800 for straight comparison to a 128gb 12 Mini I guess..

But good lord - That is a LOT of money to swallow.

Particularly in the context of not having that new Touch-ID in button like the iPad Air (matters a lot in mask world these days and moving forward for quite a while) and no headphone jack (yes, I still use it daily, including as I fall asleep each night).

I guess I mostly like what they did, but man I wish it were starting at $499-549 for that 64GB option (incredible they even are making those - feels like a pure price anchoring, drive storage upgrade revenue move - frustrating)

I assume some others are conflicted?

The value we still get from our original SE units is insane

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The SE1 was such a great deal for a phone... the Mini isn't so much. I recommended the SE1 to everyone I knew who needed a cheap phone, but I doubt I will do that with the Mini... unless you absolutely need that tiny formfactor it's just too expensive for what you get (imho). You could probably replace your entire SE1 with a higher capacity model for under $250. And you have a headphone jack!!!

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
my SE1 has the following issues with 32gb

-music cutout while wearing AirPods when phone in my pocket and im moving around.
-battery lasts 2 hours max for music only while out working out before phone dies.
-wifi kinda sucks as it cant reach signal like my other apple devices can
-I misspell things due to the tiny letters.
-with 32 gb I cant even download songs to have while I hike and no LTE. iPhone was auto deleting my apps to make room.
-LTE signal inst as many bars as other people with iPhone 7
-phone is kinda slow with LTE holds me up when im in a hurry with all bars.
-water gets into the phone behind the screen if you want to wash it off.

im not a phone user but these quirks force me to fiddle with this thing when I need it to work and interrupts my workouts and note taking. I dont mind the phone being a little wider so that I can have larger letters for my thumbs.

I dont need a lot of storage due to iCloud and neither have others even those I know with thousands of videos and photos. for my use, I intend to keep the mini for 5 years since I really dont need other tech to distract me. my only concerns are always if the water sealing is as good when I take it in for a battery replacement. I really want to be able to wash my phone. another issue I had wit the SE were trying to get battery case. the options sucked and were either too bulky or eventually people said they got a message saying accessory not supported so ive been moping around with constantly charging this thing.

• Love
Reactions: GrandeLatte

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

Maybe just wait a few months for the street price to come down a bit (~10%) and to make up your mind. Or wait until the second-gen mini next year which may have some extra features worth the upgrade. If you feel conflicted about the price I wouldn’t preorder now.

Personally I will preorder the mini tomorrow because I’m curious about it and because I can afford it, but there’s no imperative reason I couldn’t stick with the SE. In fact, there’s the real possibility of the mini having a number of drawbacks for me that will make me stay with the SE for a while longer.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Mini is bit shorter 7mm, take out the notch horns and all you are getting is a longer and bit more screen on the bottom.
But then its 3mm less in width. same thickness.
Will be same with video cropped v Se.

mini with no notch would of been perfect

Reactions: prazakj and mzd

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I must have banged on for 3 years for Apple to make a new "smaller" phone, very much in line with what they did with the iPhone 12 Mini.

Disclosure - my 128GB SE1 needs a new screen at this very moment. Normally I'd be saying "perfect timing!" -- but then I start to pencil out spending $20-100 for a new SE1 screen (either aftermarket or swapping one out of a used SE) -- and weigh it against the 256GB 12Mini I'd probably get...and after taxes, it's a difference of around probably close to $900

Particularly in the context of not having that new Touch-ID in button like the iPad Air (matters a lot in mask world these days and moving forward for quite a while) and no headphone jack (yes, I still use it daily, including as I fall asleep each night).

I guess I mostly like what they did, but man I wish it were starting at $499-549 for that 64GB option (incredible they even are making those - feels like a pure price anchoring, drive storage upgrade revenue move - frustrating)

The SE was always a poor man’s iPhone. The Mini is a REAL iPhone. It’s not a gimped version. I don’t see anything wrong with Mini’s pricing. The only thing you can complain about is battery life.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
No one really "needs" a new phone as long as the old one still works and runs all the important apps.

The smart thing is to use your phone as long as possible.

But life can also be boring, if you always do the smart thing ;)
That boring part you mention is costing me a lot of money LOL! Blame it on 2020

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012

Why not spend the $20 or so on the new screen for the SE, and then wait for next year’s models to come out. The 12 Mini should come down in price then & you can buy it for less $ then.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The 12 mini is not far off from the SE 2020. Honestly, there is more useable space on the SE 2020 and it is $350 cheaper, it really is the perfect phone for your use case it seems.

Spec wise maybe, but I simply have zero interest in the 6/7/8/SE2 form factor - just flat out hate the rounded slippery soap bar river rock iphone generations.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Why not spend the $20 or so on the new screen for the SE, and then wait for next year’s models to come out. The 12 Mini should come down in price then & you can buy it for less $ then.

I think that’s most likely what I’m going to do.

The other reason would be “hope” that a 13 mini might be a thing and it might have Touch-ID in the power button.

Reactions: prazakj and lpc2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.