Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The SE was always a poor man’s iPhone. The Mini is a REAL iPhone. It’s not a gimped version. I don’t see anything wrong with Mini’s pricing. The only thing you can complain about is battery life.

I have an 11 Pro and my wife has an SE 2020. It’s not a poor man’s iPhone at all. In fact, it reminds me how much of the core experience of the iPhone is in iOS and not the bells and whistles of some of the added hardware features. The most obvious difference is in the screen, and the mini now has an OLED. Personally I think of the SE as a tremendous bargain given the internals.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I have an 11 Pro and my wife has an SE 2020. It’s not a poor man’s iPhone at all. In fact, it reminds me how much of the core experience of the iPhone is in iOS and not the bells and whistles of some of the added hardware features. The most obvious difference is in the screen, and the mini now has an OLED. Personally I think of the SE as a tremendous bargain given the internals.
Agreed. It is absolutely CRAZY that Apple included an A13 in the SE 2020, the same CPU as the iPhone 11 Pro. Even crazier that it costs $400 compared to $1,000.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
If not having the lens you want is a dealbreaker with the mini, that is fine. That still doesn’t mean it is overpriced.
Both the 12 and 12 mini are overpriced when you ignore the OLED screen and Qualcomm Chips.

But, most average consumers aren't really thinking about that when they buy a new phone...

hence why I think it's "overpriced" from the viewpoint of the average customer (including normal iPhone-only customers).

12 and the mini should have been fantastic Apple LED, 4g only, at $549 and $649 (or $599 and $699 because why not you're Apple).

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Both the 12 and 12 mini are overpriced when you ignore the OLED screen and Qualcomm Chips.

But, most average consumers aren't really thinking about that when they buy a new phone...

hence why I think it's "overpriced" from the viewpoint of the average customer (including normal iPhone-only customers).

12 and the mini should have been fantastic Apple LED, 4g only, at $549 and $649 (or $599 and $699 because why not you're Apple).
this logic only works if we assume that Apple did not create the mini to address the many many people who have been drooling and hounding them for a small flagship spec phone.

Apple did indeed create a flagship spec phone for us, and priced it accordingly... But it really is still a kick in the teeth to have the 6.1" from last year start at $699, and then price the smaller phone at the same price this year, and make the 6.1" device this year at $799.

And, WHY did Apple make the 6.1" at all if they were going to price the mini at $699??? Didn't Apple do just fine last year having the prices $699/$999/$1099? Why does there have to be this middle $799 price this year??? Senseless.

They should have just priced the Mini at $699, and told the 6.1" crowd to go shuv it and buy a pro for 6.1" screen....

But, I get that OLEDs cost a lot of money, and Qualcomm chips cost a lot of money... and that is passed on the consumer..... I just ultimately think that the mini is TOO MUCH, still. And the other small phone available (SE2) is too many compromises at $399 (Intel modem, one camera, lower water resistance)

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
The SE was always a poor man’s iPhone. The Mini is a REAL iPhone. It’s not a gimped version. I don’t see anything wrong with Mini’s pricing. The only thing you can complain about is battery life.
The SE1 was *NOT* a poor man's iPhone. I brought the specs up for both the iPhone SE1 and the iPhone 6s (both released at the same time). The differences were:

1. Screen: 4" vs. 4.7"
2. Facetime Camera: 1.2 Megapixels vs. 5 Megapixels
3. No Barometer for the SE1, Barometer for the iPhone 6s
4. No 3D touch in SE1, 3D touch with iPhone 6s
5. SE1 does not allow MIMO, iPhone 6s allows MIMO

Everything else is the same

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Just because Apple is willing to give you 90% of the experience for less, doesn’t change the fact that the SE is a poor man’s iPhone. Obv Apple won’t sell crap. That changes nothing.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE1 was *NOT* a poor man's iPhone. I brought the specs up for both the iPhone SE1 and the iPhone 6s (both released at the same time). The differences were:

1. Screen: 4" vs. 4.7"
2. Facetime Camera: 1.2 Megapixels vs. 5 Megapixels
3. No Barometer for the SE1, Barometer for the iPhone 6s
4. No 3D touch in SE1, 3D touch with iPhone 6s
5. SE1 does not allow MIMO, iPhone 6s allows MIMO

Everything else is the same
You missed a whole bunch.

6. Touch ID 1.0​
7. Series 6000 aluminum (instead of 7000)​
8. Qualcomm MDM9625M (from iPhone 6)​
9. No Taptic Engine​

Face it, anybody paying attention knows the SE was a poor man's iPhone. Apple used cheap parts where possible in an effort to cut costs.

Similarly, Apple emphasized price, price, and price on the SE2. Just read the press release.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

6. Touch ID 1.0​
9. No Taptic Engine​

Face it, anybody paying attention knows the SE was a poor man's iPhone. Apple used cheap parts where possible in an effort to cut costs.

Similarly, Apple emphasized price, price, and price on the SE2. Just read the press release.

This. It may not be a bad iPhone, subjectively. And the processor may be the same. But it’s a poor man’s iPhone, period. Nobody who can afford a Mini will ever buy an SE now that both are available.

• Haha
Reactions: myrtlebee

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

6. Touch ID 1.0​
9. No Taptic Engine​

Huh? Now we are just spreading lies. The iPhone SE does have Touch ID 2.0 as well as a Taptic Engine. And 6000 series aluminum? The back is all glass, just like the iPhone 8 and XR and 11.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Huh? Now we are just spreading lies. The iPhone SE does have Touch ID 2.0 as well as a Taptic Engine. And 6000 series aluminum? The back is all glass, just like the iPhone 8 and XR and 11.
This is about SE1, not SE2.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If you are a price sensitive then wait a year. My bet is the 13 mini (or whatever they call it) will go back to start at $649 and the 12 mini will fall to either $549 or $599 if they keep it or at least for a short time while the clear them out.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
this logic only works if we assume that Apple did not create the mini to address the many many people who have been drooling and hounding them for a small flagship spec phone.

Apple did indeed create a flagship spec phone for us, and priced it accordingly... But it really is still a kick in the teeth to have the 6.1" from last year start at $699, and then price the smaller phone at the same price this year, and make the 6.1" device this year at $799.

And, WHY did Apple make the 6.1" at all if they were going to price the mini at $699??? Didn't Apple do just fine last year having the prices $699/$999/$1099? Why does there have to be this middle $799 price this year??? Senseless.

They should have just priced the Mini at $699, and told the 6.1" crowd to go shuv it and buy a pro for 6.1" screen....

But, I get that OLEDs cost a lot of money, and Qualcomm chips cost a lot of money... and that is passed on the consumer..... I just ultimately think that the mini is TOO MUCH, still. And the other small phone available (SE2) is too many compromises at $399 (Intel modem, one camera, lower water resistance)

Think about the upgrades from last years iPhone 11. The lineup now all has OLED, which isn’t cheap, the Qualcomm, and the A14. I know the 11 was the cheap phone, but I think they priced them right. For what your getting.

Reactions: JM

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Then why is he referring to Series 6000 aluminum (which debuted in the 6S) and referring to the Qualcomm from iPhone 6? If he was talking about the original the iPhone SE which is based on an iPhone 5 body, he wouldn't be referring to iPhone 6 generation features.
The internals of the SE1 are based on the 6S. That’s what was exciting about the SE1 back then.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
The iPhone SE1 is based on the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S and the iPhone SE both have Gen 1 Touch ID. The iPhone 5, 5S, and SE never had Aluminum 7000. The iPhone 5S and SE never had 2nd gen Touch ID.

Again, if the guy was really talking about the iPhone SE1, why would he refer to features that they never had in the first place? By saying the iPhone SE is budget phone because it doesn't have iPhone 6S features would lead anyone to believe he is talking about the SE 2020.
Because the SE1 did have iPhone 6S internals, including the A9 SoC, M9 motion coprocessor and NFC:

Here's a breakdown of the differences between the SE and the 6S:

The iPhone SE was (and is) definitely a budget phone. It just happens to have some features that makes it preferable to some people. The iPhone 12 mini is a premium phone, although it does share some of these same features with a budget phone.

Last edited:

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Just because Apple is willing to give you 90% of the experience for less, doesn’t change the fact that the SE is a poor man’s iPhone. Obv Apple won’t sell crap. That changes nothing.
Poor man's phone is probably a stretch. 90% of the experience at almost 50% of the cost is actually a remarkable feat. Remember when Apple used to only have two models and they would simply discount the older model as the third budget phone? Suppose today there were only 3 phones in the lineup, the iPhone 12 Pro, the 12 Pro Max, and the iPhone 8 - I would unequivocally state that the iPhone 8 is the poor man's phone.

But the fact that just 2 months ago the iPhone SE 2020 had the same CPU/GPU as the iPhone 11 Pro and 1 less GB of RAM doesn't quite make it a poor man's phone. That $400 phone had the fastest CPU/GPU on the market.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Think about the upgrades from last years iPhone 11. The lineup now all has OLED, which isn’t cheap, the Qualcomm, and the A14. I know the 11 was the cheap phone, but I think they priced them right. For what your getting.
I do get it that Qualcomm and OLED are worth the up charge... I guess I'm. I don't know.
I'm just bummed everything is more expensive and it doesn't line up with my expectations and hopes going into this 12 season.

there's no perfect solution for me. I would have been really happy with a $599 mini with an LED.

or a $599 mini with 4g only and no 5g. It would have been great to make the Pro 5g only... especially since there's only a $130 difference between 12 and 12 pro (128gb)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I do get it that Qualcomm and OLED are worth the up charge... I guess I'm. I don't know.
I'm just bummed everything is more expensive and it doesn't line up with my expectations and hopes going into this 12 season.

there's no perfect solution for me. I would have been really happy with a $599 mini with an LED.

or a $599 mini with 4g only and no 5g. It would have been great to make the Pro 5g only... especially since there's only a $130 difference between 12 and 12 pro (128gb)

What were your expectations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.