Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The iPhone SE's marketing was all about its size.

oZS8wgJ.png

yep!

People have decided to rewrite the history on this to better fit their narrative, but you are spot on with posting that advertisement to correct the record.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
The SE is being dropped with iOS 15 so unless you want to hold onto a device that will never get updates your going to have to compromise somewhere

Reactions: GrandeLatte

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
The SE is being dropped with iOS 15 so unless you want to hold onto a device that will never get updates your going to have to compromise somewhere

That's not confirmed for sure yet and also -- "never get updates" -- honestly sometimes with iOS new versions, it's questionable how much of an "update" it really is (often times sideways or even a regression in ways)

That said, iOS 15 is nearly a year away still anyhow.

Reactions: Racineur

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
That's not confirmed for sure yet and also -- "never get updates" -- honestly sometimes with iOS new versions, it's questionable how much of an "update" it really is (often times sideways or even a regression in ways)

That said, iOS 15 is nearly a year away still anyhow.
so then if the SE does in fact get dropped would that sway you to upgrade or no? eventually it might even be dropped from apple watch support etc too

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Even if iOS 15 drops support for se1, I believe Apple issues security updates for the truly serious security threats for older iOS versions (though there may have only been one in the past that they’ve actually needed to), so security shouldn’t be the major concern for staying on older iOS, just functionality. So as long as the phone and all critical apps and features work, there is not really an absolute reason one needs to update.

FYI the mini is too big for my preference, especially the full screen. And I prefer Touch ID. So I’m sticking with my se1 until I lose critical app/feature support, then I’ll assess my options at that point.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The real question: is the mini worth 300 more?
“Worth” depends on 1) individual uses and 2) individual financial situation. You can basically do the same things with an iPhone 7 for $100 as a mini for $700. But I still just bought a mini and retired my 7. It was “worth it” because I enjoy the mini’s speed, screen, camera, etc and I can afford it. But basically it’s the same functionality for like 7x the price.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
FYI the mini is too big for my preference, especially the full screen. And I prefer Touch ID. So I’m sticking with my se1 until I lose critical app/feature support, then I’ll assess my options at that point.

I am also...I was surprised. I sort of thought it’d be a bit closer yet still to the SE1 size/experience. It’s definitely a noticeable step up in terms of physical handling and needing to shift it in ones hand a bit during usage.

Reactions: subjonas

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I find Face ID much more reliable than touch .

You have to keep your fingers pristine for it to work , not that easy in the real world

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I am also...I was surprised. I sort of thought it’d be a bit closer yet still to the SE1 size/experience. It’s definitely a noticeable step up in terms of physical handling and needing to shift it in ones hand a bit during usage.
I could never get excited about the mini rumors because I already knew that for me the 5/SE1 already pushed the maximum body and screen size for true one-handed use (firm grip while thumb reaches entire screen, no major shifting), and the mini of course has both a bigger body and especially screen size than the SE1. The mini is of course easiER to use one-handed than any other iPhone since the SE1 (or maybe SE2 is, not sure), and therefore it is at the moment the closest thing to a good option for me when my SE1 dies, but it’s hard to get excited for “the closest thing to a good option”.
And I know a lot of people like the SE1 because it was inexpensive, but for me it really was only about the size (and Touch ID). I would have paid flagship prices for at least a couple upgrades by now if Apple had kept it up to date.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Good Lord so harsh word. Please get into the details. Explain what trash means to you. Cause for many others, the SE is far from being trash. I guess you have the 12 Max Pro. Don't you? Hope you say so...

“just” the regular 12, non mini

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
For SE1-ers, the Mini is definitely worthy of a free test drive. The slight size increase requires small grip adjustments to reach the top corners (unlike the SE) and the lack of Touch ID isn’t ideal during the pandemic. However, everything else about it is a pretty clear upgrade. If the additional features benefit your life, you keep. If not, it’s a free return.

At the very least it shows how much of your current SE is still relevant if you choose not to keep the Mini. Defining “want” vs. “need” can save us a lot of money over time.

Final thought: I expect next year’s Mini to be the one to own long-term. More efficient 5g modem leading to better battery life + the return of some form of Touch ID. That sounds like a keeper to me.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I find Face ID much more reliable than touch .

You have to keep your fingers pristine for it to work , not that easy in the real world

For me, it was just as reliable. More than pristine fingers, I needed dry ones. If for whatever reason my fingers were wet, Touch ID didn't work.

But then, the pandemic arrived, and Face ID is now useless with the facemask on. That's why I went back to Touch ID.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For SE1-ers, the Mini is definitely worthy of a free test drive. The slight size increase requires small grip adjustments to reach the top corners (unlike the SE) and the lack of Touch ID isn’t ideal during the pandemic. However, everything else about it is a pretty clear upgrade. If the additional features benefit your life, you keep. If not, it’s a free return.

At the very least it shows how much of your current SE is still relevant if you choose not to keep the Mini. Defining “want” vs. “need” can save us a lot of money over time.

Final thought: I expect next year’s Mini to be the one to own long-term. More efficient 5g modem leading to better battery life + the return of some form of Touch ID. That sounds like a keeper to me.
If next year’s mini has some form of Touch ID as well, I think it will be a even bigger seller. I like to think the current mini is selling well but, It may just be wishful thinking on my part. I am fine maniually entering my pass code.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
A'ight, I opened my Mini and this size is good. I'm digging it.

Relative to my SE, the overall footprint of the Mini is not bigger that my SE with the Magpul Field case on it. It's expectedly much thinner than SE w/case. Nicely solid feel to it. On form factor, so far I think Apple pretty much nailed it.

Weight
iPhone SE w/Magpul Field case: 5.055 ounces/143.3 grams
iPhone 12 Mini: 4.815 ounces/136.5 grams

I ordered a glass screen protector that's coming on Saturday so I'm going to wait to remove the paper from the screen until just before applying the screen protector. Which I'll probably screw up. More than once. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha
Reactions: kory108

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Relative to my SE, the overall footprint of the Mini is not bigger that my SE with the Magpul Field case on it. It's expectedly much thinner than SE w/case. Nicely solid feel to it. On form factor, so far I think Apple pretty much nailed it.

Weight

I ordered a glass screen protector that's coming on Saturday so I'm going to wait to remove the paper from the screen until just before applying the screen protector. Which I'll probably screw up. More than once. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Congrats on your new toy. I would do the same waiting on the screen protector. You don’t need a scratch on your new phone.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008

Weight

Aren’t you going to be putting a case on your new $700-900 Mini?

I don’t quite understand the relevance of comparing the sizes of a naked Mini vs an SE in a case

Reactions: brucemr

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I would do the same waiting on the screen protector. You don’t need a scratch on your new phone.
I'm really doing it in hopes of avoiding lint on the screen before I put a screen protector on it. I'll fail at this.

I don’t quite understand the relevance of comparing the sizes of a naked Mini vs an SE in a case
The Magpul Field case was a very popular pairing with the 5/5s and then the SE. Gives a good size reference for people who have had this combo for 4, 7, 8 years.

Last edited:

Lumis

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
The size of the SE 2016 is just perfect for me. When you add to that my use case of phones (phone calls, messages, task management, calendar, reminder, quick notes, voice memos, siri, music, podcasts, homebanking) it becomes the ideal phone. I use my phone as a PDA. I don't game and I rarely use it for watching videos, for those tasks I have other devices, namely Ipads. Just for reference, I bought my first SE some years ago, but then I gave it to my daughter. Few months later I bought another SE for me (at the time I paid about 220 euros for it). Later I sold it to a colleague and bought the XR. I then sold the XR to my father-in-law and bought the Note 10 Plus. Later I bought the Iphone 11 Pro for my daugther and I'm back using the SE that was hers. I now have both the SE and the Note 10 Plus but, for my daily phone, it's the SE that I want, the Note is used more like a mini tablet when at home. For me there is no substitute for one-handed operation.

I thought I would by the 12 Mini immediately, but when I started thinking about it, me too became conflicted. I would have to paid more than 800 euros to basically have the same experience that I now have, while loosing on the grip on the phone. I have tried the 12 Mini and although the overall size is similar to the SE 2016, the fact that the screen goes all the way to the top makes a lot of difference. I'll be using that money elsewhere. Until the SE 2016 becomes unusable, this is the phone for me.

Reactions: Spike77777

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I think that’s most likely what I’m going to do.

The other reason would be “hope” that a 13 mini might be a thing and it might have Touch-ID in the power button.
Also my idea. I didn’t sell my XS so when I return 12 mini I’m waiting with XS for another year. It’s still a great phone and next year I’m waiting for 13 mini. Maybe with better camera, maybe with better battery management - there are still so many things to improve. We got mini version with Face ID so nothing is impossible.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I loved my SE1. Hanged on to it for 4 years until the battery life turned intolerable. Many APPs were not supporting SE1, and I couldn't not efficiently do my tasks on my SE1. Not to mention, whenever I pull out my phone, people thought I had a toy phone or a store display. This last bit I cared the least.

What bothered me the most was it's just being dropped, I can feel it. So it's time for an upgrade. No need to be nostalgic about a piece of consumer technology. Plus, the cameras are so fantastic on the 12 pro series, and everything else as well. I'm so happy with my 12 pro max choice.

From now on, I think I will upgrade my phone every 2/3 years. I can afford it, so why shouldn't I be easier on myself?
I don't bat an eyelid buying $500 shoes I never wear, or thousand dollar handbags I don't carry, so why shouldn't I just get the new phone? Voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.