Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I have and am using the SE1. Everyone around me think I'm a dinosaur, they think I'm using a "toy" phone. But no matter, I loved the way the phone looks and works. But over time I realized battery life is deteriorating, technology is lacking, the phone is quite slow. And I want better camera.

Just in time! I'm really glad the square design is back this year, the old is the new, so I'm going for the 12pro. Was thinking about getting the 12pro max, but that would be a a huge jump for me in terms of screen size and functionality.

Can't wait to receive my order.

I would say it's time to upgrade. Go for the mini. Or the 12/ 12pro before Apple does another IOS upgrade and drop us completely. :):):) How is your eyesight holding up? I can't do small screen anymore.
I had so much trouble with Touch ID today, I'm wondering if Apple is secretly phasing out SE1. So many apps are not working, or are continuously running and my phone burns up at least once every 24 hours. Phone also needs to be charged 3 times a day let me remind you. And I hardly use my SE1 for anything now.

Today, I read that once iOS 14 rolls out that's when SE1 officially gets left behind, but I feel it's already been left behind as we speak!

PS: I changed my order from 12pro to 12 pro max. It's coming to me middle of December. I can't wait. I saw the 12 pro max- and strangely it didn't faze me. I loved it!

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I had so much trouble with Touch ID today, I'm wondering if Apple is secretly phasing out SE1. So many apps are not working, or are continuously running and my phone burns up at least once every 24 hours. Phone also needs to be charged 3 times a day let me remind you. And I hardly use my SE1 for anything now.

Today, I read that once iOS 14 rolls out that's when SE1 officially gets left behind, but I feel it's already been left behind as we speak!

PS: I changed my order from 12pro to 12 pro max. It's coming to me middle of December. I can't wait. I saw the 12 pro max- and strangely it didn't faze me. I loved it!
iOS 14 launched in September, and includes support for the 2016 iPhone SE.

Reactions: iApple_man

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I must have banged on for 3 years for Apple to make a new "smaller" phone, very much in line with what they did with the iPhone 12 Mini.

But now that they made it, I just am not sure I can swallow buying it.

Disclosure - my 128GB SE1 needs a new screen at this very moment. Normally I'd be saying "perfect timing!" -- but then I start to pencil out spending $20-100 for a new SE1 screen (either aftermarket or swapping one out of a used SE) -- and weigh it against the 256GB 12Mini I'd probably get...and after taxes, it's a difference of around probably close to $900

($879+tax = $931 where I am)

Say $800 for straight comparison to a 128gb 12 Mini I guess..

But good lord - That is a LOT of money to swallow.

Particularly in the context of not having that new Touch-ID in button like the iPad Air (matters a lot in mask world these days and moving forward for quite a while) and no headphone jack (yes, I still use it daily, including as I fall asleep each night).

I guess I mostly like what they did, but man I wish it were starting at $499-549 for that 64GB option (incredible they even are making those - feels like a pure price anchoring, drive storage upgrade revenue move - frustrating)

I assume some others are conflicted?

The value we still get from our original SE units is insane
If you going make repairs on the SE1 screen, switch out the battery for a brand new battery too!

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
The 12 Mini is going to be the closest we ever get to the original SE / 5s / 5 size at least in the near future...

appleblue3.jpg
Which is why to me that the mini IS the true replacement for the original SE.

This SE2 was just thrown in there for how parents say “here here, now go play or something”.

Meaning Apple gave people the “se2” while they work on the REAL one since people were impatient.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Which is why to me that the mini IS the true replacement for the original SE.

This SE2 was just thrown in there for how parents say “here here, now go play or something”.

Meaning Apple gave people the “se2” while they work on the REAL one since people were impatient.
You're looking at the SE as a size thing. The original SE was an inexpensive (by Apple's standards) iPhone with updated internals in an old body. It just happened to be smaller than the new ones.

The SE2 is again an inexpensive iPhone with updated internals in an old body.

Just because the original SE was in that tiny frame, doesn't mean that that was what being an SE was all about, even though that's how you feel.

The Mini is an all new design and size. There is nothing 'SE' about it including the price.

sa.jackson

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
I've never liked the rounded edges of the post 5s/SE era of phones. I had a 5s that I loved, 6s meh and an Xs. The Xs is nice but Ive always wanted a smaller lighter phone. Countless times I pondered grabbing an SE just because I prefer the form. With the release of the 12 mini there was no question for me. Smaller than the 6/7/8/SE2 with squared off edges. Slightly larger than the SE1 with flagship specs. It's almost as if apple was reading my mind. With no guarantee that Apple will release a second gen. mini, I jumped on a 256 gb model and have no regrets. One handed phone is such a pleasure.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
You're looking at the SE as a size thing. The original SE was an inexpensive (by Apple's standards) iPhone with updated internals in an old body. It just happened to be smaller than the new ones.

Just because the original SE was in that tiny frame, doesn't mean that that was what being an SE was all about, even though that's how you feel.

The Mini is an all new design and size. There is nothing 'SE' about it including the price.
Umm that’s all it’s been about though. You alright? Lol

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003

The iPhone SE's marketing was all about its size.

oZS8wgJ.png

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

Exactly. And that's why the OP is moaning too. He loves the Mini but wants a cheap phone. The Mini isn't a phone at throwaway prices.

Had the price been half, I am sure the OP would have quit sobbing and bought the Mini already :)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

oZS8wgJ.png

That means nothing. You gotta sell what your company makes. That's marketing. They can't say it is the cheapest iPhone ever. They need to make it sound good too.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest

oZS8wgJ.png

If you're all about the phone being small, then just get the Mini. What the hell difference does the name have to do with it? If the Mini was called the SE and was still $730 would that make you happy?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
If you're all about the phone being small, then just get the Mini. What the hell difference does the name have to do with it? If the Mini was called the SE and was still $730 would that make you happy?

I have the Mini and I love it, no complaints here.

Okay maybe I do wish it was a bit smaller, but beggars/choosers and whatnot.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I have the Mini and I love it, no complaints here.

Okay maybe I do wish it was a bit smaller, but beggars/choosers and whatnot.
I guess my post wasn't directed at only you. It's directed at the people that say "the Mini should have been the SE2". Why? Does the SE have to be the smallest iPhone? Does it really matter that the smallest iPhone isn't called the SE? The fact is that Apple made a smaller iPhone regardless of what it's called and it should make small phone lovers happy despite the name.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the people that think the SE2 should have been the Mini, would be whining all over the place if Apple had released the Mini as the SE2 at $729. "But the original SE was only $399. Waaaah!"

Reactions: sportsnut

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Exactly. And that's why the OP is moaning too. He loves the Mini but wants a cheap phone. The Mini isn't a phone at throwaway prices.

Had the price been half, I am sure the OP would have quit sobbing and bought the Mini already :)

OP here - I definitely do not "love the Mini" and wish it were smaller (used one for a bit at the store the other day).

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I have a sneaking suspicion that the people that think the SE2 should have been the Mini, would be whining all over the place if Apple had released the Mini as the SE2 at $729. "But the original SE was only $399. Waaaah!"
lol Your entertaining and you seem triggered but maybe your just passionate, but it’s not that serious, at all, it’s just my thoughts, and I’m not about whining about price comparisons or whatever your thinking, that’s for the overly comparison people, but since your here, the SE2 really should be called iPhone 9 because it has the 6s, 7, 8 body, nothing SE about it.

1606167436988.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016

oZS8wgJ.png

I thought the 4 colors were gorgeous. And as a collection, cohesive. I went with the rose gold. But lately my SE1 is just acting strange.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
i honestly dont get why some people hold the SE so close its way to small imo. the mini is the perfect small phone imho if your into that. me personally am using the 12 PM. i don't see Apple making another phone is the SE body and IOS 14 will be the last IOS to support it, so i would deal with the mini or forever use an outdated device.

Reactions: George Dawes

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
i honestly dont get why some people hold the SE so close its way to small imo. the mini is the perfect small phone imho if your into that. me personally am using the 12 PM. i don't see Apple making another phone is the SE body and IOS 14 will be the last IOS to support it, so i would deal with the mini or forever use an outdated device.
I honestly don’t get why some people adore the Max. It’s way too big IMO. The mini is the perfect big phone IMHO if you’re into that.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003

Your "Way too small" is someone else's "Perfectly sized."

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
“Value” and “trade offs” are what ultimately pushed me more than absolute price (which of course impacts value).

SE1 has the perfect form factor for me, and still has a headphone jack and touch-ID (all preferable to me).

The only thing I really wanted about the Mini was updated cameras and I guess more speed, but that’s sort of here nor there, as my SE1 does everything just great.

Ultimately - of course - one day I will be forced to move off the SE1 to stay current on new Apps, etc...but for now, I just decided to be smart about it and spend literally $25-ish vs and additional $800 to get a 12 Mini.

So much of it for me also hinged on the fact that I’m a mega iPad user and my iphone truly just needs to be a tiny light super pocketable camera, note checker, phone, messaging device, etc — just bare min type of stuff.

Excited to read about all the 12 Mini experiences and also get hands on at some point. I also ordered a couple inexpensive 12 Mini cases so I could compare sizes in person as well.

If I see a great lightly used buyers remorse type of deal in my local area at some point on the Mini - might go that route - who knows.. I just don’t want to have so much money outlaid for how I use iPhones in particular.
You spent an entire post again coming down to price. Price is subjective and you don't find value in purchasing an IPhone 12 mini for the price that Apple is asking. and that's ok.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
You spent an entire post again coming down to price. Price is subjective and you don't find value in purchasing an IPhone 12 mini for the price that Apple is asking. and that's ok.
It’s value (and feature fit), not price.
(Price is of course a key component of determining value, so you’re not off the mark)

Relative to my SE1, the 12 mini introduced some new negatives and the net net makes it very hard to justify at any price for me at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.