Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
That little pro is killer. It’s has to fit the buyers lifestyle though. I have a MacBook and a pro Max that I use to consume media. If I had a iPad Pro then I would have a iPhone 12 mini cause I can use the iPad to consume.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Still available for next Friday in all sizes here nearly 8 hours after orders started, it's popular lol.
Yeah! I thought it would be sold out but I guess not.

I think maybe Apple/Kuo got it right that they wouldn't sell as much..... my theory is because of price. No "normal everyday" buyer is going to pay the same price they did last year for a phone that is smaller.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013

I think maybe Apple/Kuo got it right that they wouldn't sell as much..... my theory is because of price. No "normal everyday" buyer is going to pay the same price they did last year for a phone that is smaller.
Yeah—it’s actually $30 more than the regular 11 was last year, for that matter.

I still think the initial hype wave for the 12/12P sucked a lot of buyers in, many of whom might have been drawn to the Mini if it had been made available. It’s also *possible* that the ‘Mini’ branding turns some people off. Time will tell.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Yeah—it’s actually $30 more than the regular 11 was last year, for that matter.

I still think the initial hype wave for the 12/12P sucked a lot of buyers in, many of whom might have been drawn to the Mini if it had been made available. It’s also *possible* that the ‘Mini’ branding turns some people off. Time will tell.
I guess to argue the opposition to that, I am one of those. I have a regular 11 I bought last year for $699, and I preordered the mini because it is the next gen phone with better internals, slightly upgraded camera, and most importantly- the much better size and shape that I had been wanting for years.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Yes. a faster processor with more ram, larger screen, better battery, updated camera and most importantly less weight is definitely worth it.

This and also that I couldn't bring myself to accept the 2014 shell of the 2020 SE that I would have for several years from 2020 onwards.

Touch-ID I simply prefer in our masked up era

This is a real factor that I weighed up with the Face ID in the 12 mini. But there is no need or official requirement for masks where I live, in a regional area of Australia. No one wears them, although everyone has the hygiene and distancing practices. There have been a handful of cases in the whole state in the past several months. It is likely to remain that way - the outlook is for some temporary, district outbreaks but a passcode suffices for that period.

But if I lived in the US, Europe or another heavily populated area, I probably would have lived with the austere situation and ordered a 2020 SE months ago.

It’s also *possible* that the ‘Mini’ branding turns some people off.

There's no doubt about that. They're put off before they even see the large screen.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
While the mini is expensive right now and hard to recommend to regular people, I bet by 2021 and 2022, Apple will keep the design and either keep the 12 mini alive and it will cost $499. It would be an awesome option to recommend to people like my mom who is holding on to her se (1st gen). She’s actually had an 5s (my old se), then a 1st gem se and she thinks the second se is “too big” lol but she’s eyeing the mini when the price drops next year.

it would be like the xr. Just a great phone to recommend it’s a solid and safe choice.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
While the mini is expensive right now and hard to recommend to regular people, I bet by 2021 and 2022, Apple will keep the design and either keep the 12 mini alive and it will cost $499. It would be an awesome option to recommend to people like my mom who is holding on to her se (1st gen). She’s actually had an 5s (my old se), then a 1st gem se and she thinks the second se is “too big” lol but she’s eyeing the mini when the price drops next year.

it would be like the xr. Just a great phone to recommend it’s a solid and safe choice.
But I don't want Apple to make mini a second tier phone. I would like to upgrade to a mini pro next year.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

I think a lot of “normal everyday” buyers don’t stare at their phones waiting for pre-orders to go live like us geeks! A lot will be people who will make the decision on which iPhone to get when they need to upgrade their phone later in the year.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
In 2013, the 5s on launch was $649 for 16GB & $749 for 32 GB.

So the price of the mini seems pretty reasonable in comparison.

The SE was only as cheap as it was as it was putting iPhone 6s parts (which Apple would’ve got for a reasonable price as they were likely ordering tens of millions of these) along with older 2013 era parts (which were likely an even better deal for Apple) onto slightly retooled existing SE production lines.

iPhones have got more capable and more expensive over the years & the mini has a dramatic screen quality upgrade - which is what you’re paying the extra for.

The only other solution would be to get a good second hand 64GB or 128 GG SE & pay to get a new battery put in it ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Regular people need iPhone love too, RA. I was once a regular person. One day I was eating my Life cereal like Mikey always did, and the voices in my head started to make sense and said in unison, “This is the way.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1rottenapple

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I'm also in the same situation as you, although the problem I see is not money, but that I don't want the magnets: I got the SE1 (the 128GB model) 3 three and a half years ago, but with time it has become less and less usable because of high CPU use that produces sharp decreases in battery time (my guess is that the reason might be related to some tasks that are accelerated by specific cores in newer A13/A14 chips but that require a lot of work in the SE1 chip --that's my guess anyway).

The iPhone 12 Mini looks the perfect replacement: similar size, flat edges (perfect, I tend to put my SE1 standing on the long side over my desk), and latest processor (same as the 12 Pro)... but it has a serious drawback: the magnets. Even if they say they are "not strong", they are strong enough for erasing hotel keys: I don't want to have such kind of magnets in my pocket.

Regarding money, I don't see it as a major problem: I can get the 128GB Mini model for around 800€ in Europe (that's a lot, but my time-frame is not to buy a new phone earlier than 3 years). I made my SE1 last almost 4 years (and it could have lasted more if I had managed to prevent iOS updates, but unfortunately the updates nagging messages made me click in the wrong answer once, and I got it updated to an iOS version that required more CPU... from that iOS version on, every update has been worse and worse for the SE1).

But the magnets... I don't want them. I'm going to create a new thread (here) about possibilities for isolating the magnetic field.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
But I don't want Apple to make mini a second tier phone. I would like to upgrade to a mini pro next year.
Not second tier. They’ll update the iphone mini but keep the previous generation around. The XR, now the 11 are still around. Great for non-enthusiasts and for gift giving. I bought the 11 for my dad for $649! What a great deal. So I can imagine the mini 2020 priced at $599 in 2021 while the new mini 2021 is $699.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This is just not true. My dad is easily well off enough to buy any iPhone out there, and he'll still be going for the SE soon. He currently uses a 6 year old iPhone 6. His phone needs are simple - calls, texts, FaceTime, google maps, photos app, etc. He gets no additional value out of a mini as compared to an SE, so he's not going to spend the extra money just because he can.

There are a LOT of well off people out there using older iPhones who will be happy to replace them with a familiar design that does everything they want for less money.

And I say this as someone who just bought a 12 mini this morning.
Well said. The two phones exist for two deliberately different reasons and buyers. Mini is overkill for the SE's target audience.

Reactions: MartyvH

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I have and am using the SE1. Everyone around me think I'm a dinosaur, they think I'm using a "toy" phone. But no matter, I loved the way the phone looks and works. But over time I realized battery life is deteriorating, technology is lacking, the phone is quite slow. And I want better camera.

Just in time! I'm really glad the square design is back this year, the old is the new, so I'm going for the 12pro. Was thinking about getting the 12pro max, but that would be a a huge jump for me in terms of screen size and functionality.

Can't wait to receive my order.

I would say it's time to upgrade. Go for the mini. Or the 12/ 12pro before Apple does another IOS upgrade and drop us completely. :):):) How is your eyesight holding up? I can't do small screen anymore.

Reactions: kory108

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Not that anyone was wondering, or cares, but I ended up buying 2 screens to try out, both real refurb screens from a reseller.

I decided to fix the screen on my SE1 and continue on enjoying that for now.

Reactions: JM and klasma

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Let us know how the screen swap goes. Many years back I managed to fry an iPhone 5 replacing a cracked screen.

Like you have been happy with my 2nd hand SE1 with 64gb--as a small handed guy who wears mostly jeans I appreciate the small form factor. Only wish camera was better, the SE2 does look attractive--will wait until the price falls on the used market.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
I must have banged on for 3 years for Apple to make a new "smaller" phone, very much in line with what they did with the iPhone 12 Mini.

But now that they made it, I just am not sure I can swallow buying it.

Disclosure - my 128GB SE1 needs a new screen at this very moment. Normally I'd be saying "perfect timing!" -- but then I start to pencil out spending $20-100 for a new SE1 screen (either aftermarket or swapping one out of a used SE) -- and weigh it against the 256GB 12Mini I'd probably get...and after taxes, it's a difference of around probably close to $900

($879+tax = $931 where I am)

Say $800 for straight comparison to a 128gb 12 Mini I guess..

But good lord - That is a LOT of money to swallow.

Particularly in the context of not having that new Touch-ID in button like the iPad Air (matters a lot in mask world these days and moving forward for quite a while) and no headphone jack (yes, I still use it daily, including as I fall asleep each night).

I guess I mostly like what they did, but man I wish it were starting at $499-549 for that 64GB option (incredible they even are making those - feels like a pure price anchoring, drive storage upgrade revenue move - frustrating)

I assume some others are conflicted?

The value we still get from our original SE units is insane
Well, after reading through the forum, the main concern seems to be price. So, you either get the SE2 (2020) if you need to upgrade. Otherwise, keep what you have unless you decide to opt for the 12 mini.

I recently got the SE2. It is a great phone overall. However, I'm considering the mini for the larger OLED screen, additional-better cameras and larger battery... the form fact is gorgeous to me as well. I'm not a big fan of the notch and wish there were some sort of Touch ID built into the screen. Sometimes when I go running the tap to wake turns the phone on and my hand will hit the next/previous track icon on the screen.

Regardless, to each their own. It is your money, spend it how you will. It is practically a tool that will be on your person daily that you have to live with. It is better to get something you like, then to just settle unless that will give you most peace of mind.

If you absolutely cannot afford the iPhone 12 mini, then there really is not conversation to be had hear other than it needs to be cheaper to hit the price-point you can afford.

Reactions: Cellist

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Well, after reading through the forum, the main concern seems to be price.

“Value” and “trade offs” are what ultimately pushed me more than absolute price (which of course impacts value).

SE1 has the perfect form factor for me, and still has a headphone jack and touch-ID (all preferable to me).

The only thing I really wanted about the Mini was updated cameras and I guess more speed, but that’s sort of here nor there, as my SE1 does everything just great.

Ultimately - of course - one day I will be forced to move off the SE1 to stay current on new Apps, etc...but for now, I just decided to be smart about it and spend literally $25-ish vs and additional $800 to get a 12 Mini.

So much of it for me also hinged on the fact that I’m a mega iPad user and my iphone truly just needs to be a tiny light super pocketable camera, note checker, phone, messaging device, etc — just bare min type of stuff.

Excited to read about all the 12 Mini experiences and also get hands on at some point. I also ordered a couple inexpensive 12 Mini cases so I could compare sizes in person as well.

If I see a great lightly used buyers remorse type of deal in my local area at some point on the Mini - might go that route - who knows.. I just don’t want to have so much money outlaid for how I use iPhones in particular.

Reactions: JM

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
You could try it for two weeks and sell it back to Apple at full retail if you rather have the money.
This. Unlike a tattoo, you’re not stuck with it, unless you wait too long.

Apple makes it so easy to try things out and return them at no cost and with very little effort.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
This. Unlike a tattoo, you’re not stuck with it, unless you wait too long.

Apple makes it so easy to try things out and return them at no cost and with very little effort.

A sensible idea - I’d wait for the holiday return policy to start if doing that though.

(Does the full holiday return policy apply to iPhones does anyone know?)

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
The 12 Mini is going to be the closest we ever get to the original SE / 5s / 5 size at least in the near future...

appleblue3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.