Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I asked these questions a few posts back, but never got an answer. Would appreciate it if someone could answer them. Thanks!

Talking about the stylus, does the Note have some kind of palm rejection feature?

Oh, and one thing I love about the iOS music player is that I can make Smart Playlists in iTunes and sync them over. So I have playlists of my least played songs, most played songs, etc. Does Samsung or Android have music players with a Smart Playlist like function? The playlists don't necessarily have to sync with iTunes, though if it did, of course that would be great.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
You can sync an Android device with itunes, there are programs for free to do it

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Love it..amazing device.

what do you want to know? S pen is a great feature. Web browsing is far better than i thought on an 8 inch display..it's my main internet page usage even with an ipad 2.

video quailty is great too. Take my note 8.0 everywhere i go from work to meeting friends to using at home when relaxing. so easy to carry.

I have been fiddling with it at Best Buy lately. Actually the Samsung reps have been great and do not mind a bit how much I try it and ask questions.

I am a Silver RZ member so 60 days to try it. I am becoming more interested because I am happy with my current Mini cellular and do not feel the need to upgrade when Apple release new tablets so I have income tax refund money to use elsewhere.

My jaw dropped watching a YouTube video I use on devices to judge quality. I did not expect to see what I did based upon the resolution of the 8.0. The clarity and color was outstanding.

I can go on with what I have tried. I bumped this thread to see other experiences since the last go round.

So many upcoming devices to choose from which is a good thing but you know how it goes with money in one's pocket to spend and not wanting to wait. :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
pretty good, better than the ipad mini to me..

That's really all that's keeping me on the fence. That and the size of the bezel.

However, the S Pen alone is enough to make me want to grab one. I use it on my Note II everyday as well as the multi-window. Having both on a bigger screen will be nice.

I want one of these...but i want data on it along with WiFi....

Same here. My iPad 2 doesn't have it, but there are times I wish it did. Having LTE would round out the Note 8 nicely, and make it a wonderful device. Giving it the bezel size of the new Galaxy Tabs would make the Note 8 perfect.

You can sync an Android device with itunes, there are programs for free to do it

Yes indeed you can. That was another one of Android biggest drawbacks for me, then a MR member told me about iSyncr. It's not free like Double Twist (which works VERY well I might add), it's $5 but the one benefit is that I don't have to worry about having yet another music player app on my phone and it's just a simple toolbar/system settings app on my Mac, so no need to have another app on the desktop.

Both sync over WiFi (only paid version for DT though) and both sync play counts, smart playlists, etc.

64GB micro SDHC card and one of those apps and you're set.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
what about that s-pen, is it a useful thing, is it responsive, i heard that you can't rest your palm against the screen?
i'm also looking to switch to android, should i go for the note 8 or the newly revealed ativ Q?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
what about that s-pen, is it a useful thing, is it responsive, i heard that you can't rest your palm against the screen?
i'm also looking to switch to android, should i go for the note 8 or the newly revealed ativ Q?

Very good, I use it for everything not just note taking...and yes you can rest your hand on the screen...thats options to turn it on and off.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I dont have a Note 8.0 but was very impressed with it when using it in a store. Especially if you have a Galaxy S4 or other Samsung devices. They sync right up with each other. I do like the 8" display. So im only waiting to see if the next Nexus 7 will be a Nexus 8 or not. If not, the Note 8.0 it will be.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Very good, I use it for everything not just note taking...and yes you can rest your hand on the screen...thats options to turn it on and off.

One review I read from cnet or maybe elsewhere to tell the truth stated there was a "dead zone" on the screen where the S pen did not function. They tried 5 units and calls to Samsung ended up not giving the reviewer any good feedback.

It may have been pre-production since often reviewers get devices early so as to provide feedback to the user community. I forget the date of the review but it was an eye opener to tell the truth.

Maybe I had better start looking at xda about this device before I throw down on it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One review I read from cnet or maybe elsewhere to tell the truth stated there was a "dead zone" on the screen where the S pen did not function. They tried 5 units and calls to Samsung ended up not giving the reviewer any good feedback.

It may have been pre-production since often reviewers get devices early so as to provide feedback to the user community. I forget the date of the review but it was an eye opener to tell the truth.

Maybe I had better start looking at xda about this device before I throw down on it.

News to me.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I didn't realize that they were selling it in other regions. I wonder why it isn't available in the US.

Yeah, it was pointed out to me earlier in the thread. Thanks for pointing it out again.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.