Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
@jman240

Thanks!

One more question: Can you chose paper size in S-Note? Sometimes when doing a business report would be nice to have it in A4 size.

(but whatever the answer, I will probably by one these days - only way to prevent that would be Samsung announcing a new Note 10.1 - or Apple announcing S-Pen support )

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No lags. Performance seems between S3 and S4, like a Note 2. Speakers are very loud and sound great. But they are small. I wish it has a higher resolution screen but I'm fine with this since a better screen would likely use more battery and run hotter. I'm still optimizing the battery but only get 4-5 hours of screen time. I was expecting better.

For what it's worth, I'm getting well over 6 hours of screen on time with everything on. I could probably get 7+ with a little power management (reduce brightness, turn on battery saver mode, etc.).

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
My first few hours with the Note 8.0:

• Generally the OS feels good
• Adapting and installing what I need was easy
• Coming from iPad3, I find the screen too small (and hope for a new Note 10.x)
• I miss the 5-finger gesture to get to the main screen
• I use the S-Pen often, even while browsing
• I have to read more handwriting recognition. It works, but I can't see much speed improvement with constant correction required.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
My one week test is over and I had to return the Note 8.0 - Conclusion:

• Android works fine, feels more flexible then iOS
• Coming from iPad3 - I don't like the screen size, 10" is preferred
• S-Pen works good, but needs training
• Don't like: When I make a S-Pen sketch and can not do recognized writing at places were I like it. Only handwriting.
• Battery life seems much shorter then iPad3

If Samsung comes out with Note 10.x I will go for that. I heard rumors about a 12" pad. I might try that (in a store) but guess it may be REALLY expensive. The 8" size feels too small to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.