Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think I will go for it. I will not get the next ipad whatever and the next Nexus 7 will not have the features the 8.0 does so. I just hope the price drops before my 60 day return period ends. That would ice the cake.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just to clarify a little......i don't think anyone reading or posting here about the Galaxy Note 8 wants to use it as a phone.......some or most would like to see a cellular option for data use and connectivity....BUT none of us want 3G.......why would we? I want the Note 8 but on 4G LTE on my carrier AT&T.

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
I am interested in this Note. I am looking for a product that will allow me to take notes during my work meetings and convert the hand writing into text.

I would like to upload the notes to Evernote.

Do any of you do such with this Note?

Thanks

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I am interested in this Note. I am looking for a product that will allow me to take notes during my work meetings and convert the hand writing into text.

I would like to upload the notes to Evernote.

Do any of you do such with this Note?

Thanks

Yep it's a big reason why I wanted it. It's great at work for note taking.

Love being out to double click the screen and the quick note feature comes up.. Perfect

Love everything about it

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Isn't it kind of ironic that people made fun of the iPad calling it a giant iPod touch, but the Note 8 is literally a giant Galaxy phone?

Not so much.

The OG iPad was just a giant iPod Touch, and anyone that wasn't living in darkness knew that Apple was going to make the first successful tablet by doing just that, turning an already amazingly successful iPhone/iPod Touch into a larger iPad.

Samsung . . . . . DID THE SAME THING . . . . and took an already more popular that most know giant phone into a small tablet.

The sad part, is that in most cases users find the Note II much more useful than any iOS or Android device. So making it bigger, and giving it more screen real estate was a no brainer.

The tablet is hideous IMHO, but I don't by tech on looks, I buy it on usefulness, and the Note 8 is the most useful tab I've ever picked up in store. Can't wait to bring it home.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You folks running the stock UI? I do not root so no custom roms but perhaps a different launcher and theme?

Thanks!

sinxnite

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Hi. I'm just wondering if the handwriting recognition on Note 8.0 recognises basic greek symbols such as α β γ μ and arrows like ↓ ↑ ← →. I know there's a fx function somewhere but I'm not really interested because I'm not using it for equations, but for the occational word like TNF-α.

Also, I'll be using it for lectures a lot, which are mainly Powerpoint and PDF documents so I'm wondering how well it handles large PDF files (for reading textbooks) and microsoft office files. How smooth is it compared to the iPad mini?

Personally, I'm one of those who believes in Android phones, Apple tablet so I've always been dreaming of getting an iPad and a stylus until Samsung dropped the bomb by releasing a tablet that comes with a stylus. What are the odds of the iPad mini 2 coming with a stylus and palm rejection? If the chances are moderately high, I'll wait. Also, are there any other good tablets out there sporting a stylus? The Microsoft Surface Pro seems really interesting but it's large

P.S. To those of you who thinks that a laptop is better for students than a tablet, I do have a laptop. It's just that my uni's tutorial sessions have this odd way of forbidding usage of electronics such as laptops and handphones (lectures are okay), and yet it's okay if you are writing on a tablet. Emphasis on the writing part, hence the importance of the stylus. Up till now I've been using notebooks but it's messy and I have no way of backing up the information unless I want to spend ages scanning it into the computer.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I just picked up a Note 8 after it went on sale. First impressions are mostly positive. I like the weight, size, and build quality. The screen doesn't bother me at all. Its bright enough and the resolution does not hinder me in any way so far. The s pen is quite useful as well. On a less positive note, I can already tell touchwiz is going to bother me. I would love to put Nova on it, but from what I read I will lose s pen integration.

Few questions if anyone could answer them:
-What apps do you use that have good s pen integration?
-Are there any launchers that can mask touchwiz while keeping s pen integration?
-Can s calendar and google calendar be synced both ways?

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I'll also try to update as I spend more time with the tablet.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I just picked up a Note 8 after it went on sale. First impressions are mostly positive. I like the weight, size, and build quality. The screen doesn't bother me at all. Its bright enough and the resolution does not hinder me in any way so far. The s pen is quite useful as well. On a less positive note, I can already tell touchwiz is going to bother me. I would love to put Nova on it, but from what I read I will lose s pen integration.

-Are there any launchers that can mask touchwiz while keeping s pen integration?

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I'll also try to update as I spend more time with the tablet.

With Nova Launcher, you do not lose s pen integration.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Interesting that I happened upon this thread. I just bought a Note 8 today myself. I liked the slimmer profile of the 8" Tab 3 but really wanted the s pen (I used my iPad with a stylus to jot notes a lot).

I got the brown/black model. I really like the color. More understated than the white but still has some style to it. Popped a 64GB SD card in it so I'm set for space for movies and tons of PDF files and ebooks.

So after 14 hours of use today, I'm pretty happy. You can set the Samsung keyboard to open a handwriting recognition window when you remove the pen - in any app - so anything can make use of the pen input. I bought this tablet mostly for the S Note app. No wrist smears like on the iPad when writing/drawing. And the 1280 x 800 screen is good enough for me. I can clearly see a difference between it and my new Nexus 7 but not nearly a deal-breaker.

And I just ordered a 32GB Galaxy S4, so I'm all set with a nice, consistent interface between phone and tablet again (instead of the mishmash of Nexus/iOS/blur/TouchWiz I had before).

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
With Nova Launcher, you do not lose s pen integration.

Did they update it? I'll definitely have to give it a shot. Love how Nova covers up touchwiz on my S3.

Interesting that I happened upon this thread. I just bought a Note 8 today myself. I liked the slimmer profile of the 8" Tab 3 but really wanted the s pen (I used my iPad with a stylus to jot notes a lot).

I got the brown/black model. I really like the color. More understated than the white but still has some style to it. Popped a 64GB SD card in it so I'm set for space for movies and tons of PDF files and ebooks.

So after 14 hours of use today, I'm pretty happy. You can set the Samsung keyboard to open a handwriting recognition window when you remove the pen - in any app - so anything can make use of the pen input. I bought this tablet mostly for the S Note app. No wrist smears like on the iPad when writing/drawing. And the 1280 x 800 screen is good enough for me. I can clearly see a difference between it and my new Nexus 7 but not nearly a deal-breaker.

And I just ordered a 32GB Galaxy S4, so I'm all set with a nice, consistent interface between phone and tablet again (instead of the mishmash of Nexus/iOS/blur/TouchWiz I had before).

I loved the profile of the Tab 3 too. Its super sleek and the bezels look a lot better. Also thats pretty cool about the Samsung keyboard. The first thing I did was download swiftkey and enable swipe. I can type quickly and accurately with swipe and the s pen, but I'll have to give the Samsung keyboard a shot too.

As for S Note, its adequate but I'm looking into some third party apps. Don't get me wrong, it would work for me but I'm looking for something that will blow me away.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I have one major complaint!

Why did Samsung upgrade the whole line of products - but they did not come out with a new Note 10.1 - they did the Tab3 10.1 - NO S-Pen feature!

I have an iPad 3, I am planning to buy the Note 8.0 just to test the S-Pen. The ability to have pen input is an important point if you want to use it in business.

When I use iPad3 plus Notability I feel a bit like a pre-school kid with a child proof pen then can do some rough lines. For detailed drawings the iPad is totally unusable. I gut then the Jot Stylus which works slightly better.

What I don't understand from Apples side, didn't the realize that Jobs was actually wrong and your finger is not the best tool to draw things? Are they now scared to copy Samsung?

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is still a nice toy to watch videos etc. - but that's it. A toy.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
If you buy a Samsung phone through att right now you can get the note 8.0 for $200. I just did this and it's awesome. You have to add it to your phone bill but that's $10 a month and it can be a giant long lasting hot spot. I got a gs4 and the wife got the note. We now have me gs4 and 10 inch ipad 3 and she has an iPhone 5 and the note 8. We get the best of both worlds.

The spen is great. It will do symbols. Little trial and error but overall were both extremely satisfied with our new things.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Back to the topic: Ask a new Note 8.0 owner, former iPad Mini owner anything

1. In S-Note, I can write something, add pix from cam or web, crop them if needed and write i.e. a nice report with added drawings etc. - can I save them as PDF?

2. Can I print them right from the Note 8.0 through my printer on the network?

3. Can you edit *.txt files in your dropbox without any 3rd party software? (a main iOS drag)

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Back to the topic: Ask a new Note 8.0 owner, former iPad Mini owner anything

1. In S-Note, I can write something, add pix from cam or web, crop them if needed and write i.e. a nice report with added drawings etc. - can I save them as PDF?

2. Can I print them right from the Note 8.0 through my printer on the network?

3. Can you edit *.txt files in your dropbox without any 3rd party software? (a main iOS drag)

1. Even if the app doesnt do it natively, you can install cloud print (google official app) and save them through the share screen as a pdf to google drive. There's an option in S Memo to Export, and PDF is one of the types, also .jpg.

2. I have an HP printer and the samsung devices came with drivers to use it over the network. YMMV on this one, but that same cloud print app can be used in conjunction with a PC running chrome to enable printing using your pc as a passthrough. I found the app has to have a print function to find my hp printer, share doesn't have it listed. There is a print function in S Memo, just checked.

3. Yes, there is a companion app installed when you install dropbox called dropbox editor, when you open a txt file it offers the typical android app picker to complete this action, just choose the editor you want. (the dropbox one keeps you in the dropbox app, which is what I think you wanted here).

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
are there any lags? how loud is the speaker? how long does it go on a full charge? is there anything you wish note 8 had? what are the bad things about it? anything that you wish note 8 copied from the ipad?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
are there any lags? how loud is the speaker? how long does it go on a full charge? is there anything you wish note 8 had? what are the bad things about it? anything that you wish note 8 copied from the ipad?

No lags. Performance seems between S3 and S4, like a Note 2. Speakers are very loud and sound great. But they are small. I wish it has a higher resolution screen but I'm fine with this since a better screen would likely use more battery and run hotter. I'm still optimizing the battery but only get 4-5 hours of screen time. I was expecting better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.