Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

At $3,500, will you buy a Vision Pro?

• Definitely yes!

Votes: 172 19.9%
  • Definitely not!

Votes: 455 52.6%
  • Maybe. I want to see the reviews first.

Votes: 238 27.5%

• Total voters

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Knowing Tim Cook if he can get enough people but it for $3500 the next will be $4000. This isn’t Steve Jobs we are talking about who would have captured the market at a low price point just to get you more into the Apple eco system. Cook only cares about the profits and shareholders.

Neither iMac nor iPod nor iPhone were particularly cheap products when launched.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I personally don't like something that is on my head for a long period of time and I don't specifically see it being useful for most people. I think it would be great for specialized areas like training doctors as an example?

This has been my argument about it from the start - headset based computing carries a significant cost in terms of wearing a headset. That cost is worth paying, if you can use your architectural CAD software in the immersive 3D space - not looking at a 2d screen floating in the air, but standing in the model, and walking around inside it, so you can get eye-lines, and feel the gaps between doorways, tables etc.

A 3D workspace, where you do 3D work, that's the benefit you expect, for the cost of wearing a headset, because that's the thing you can't do on a flat display.

eg with rhino:

VillaSavoyeTable.PNG

Or with a Voxel sculpting tool like Kodon (Z-Brush equivalent), where you can move the tools three dimensionally in three dimensional space:

I'm not convinced that the Apple-centric developer community is culturally inclined to the task of making these sort of tools, and more importantly, I'm not convinced that the sort of people who make these sort of tools are culturally inclined to make Apple-Only solutions, or deal with the sort of hassle that is Apple's App Stores.

So we get back to what does the Vision Pro do well, that makes use of stereoscopic projection as its fundamental utility - looking at an OmniPlan chart? Notes.app floating in space?

Head mounted displays real innovation, the fundamental killer app function of them, is the Z-Index, and Apple seem to be regarding that as a UI novelty. 🤷‍♂️

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
but the iPad was around 1/3 the cost most folks were predicting when it launched.

Yes because Apple had a tendency to make very expensive stuff and was a niche player in the computer market at best plus of course that predictions back then were a bit of a guesswork at the time. The idea that Steve Jobs somehow represented an era of cheap Apple products is a far fetched theory in my opinion.

Reactions: Chuckeee

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
Neither iMac nor iPod nor iPhone were particularly cheap products when launched.
To 16 year old me at the time, the first generation intel iMac with the AMD graphics card was the dream. I worked 3 summers to save enough to buy an iMac. I can see how kids today look at $3500 as insurmountable to reach but if you save your money and work hard it's just as attainable. Minimum wage was less in my day.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’m beginning to think of the Vision Pro as an iPad successor for myself. No idea if that will bear out, but since I have an M2 iPad, I’m in no rush to upgrade. Perhaps a future Vision device will ditch the uncanny external display, become much sleeker, and replace the device I’m typing on now…

Reactions: AdonisSMU

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I'm mostly sold on it for the immersive experience it looks to be. And yeah, mostly for entertainment. I can't even fathom how I'd use it for work except as an extra monitor, but as most are saying I don't think I'd want to wear it for 8-10 hours a day, plus I'm concerned about the eye-health impact of wearing screens this close to your eyes for a long time.

One factor is I live alone, so there is no partner or kids to get annoyed with me cloistering myself off with this thing. It would be a different story if I had a wife I had to justify the expense to, or was so busy with kids that most home time was family time. This may change in my future, but for now I've got the time to play with this machine.

This is not cheap, but I can afford it. Not breezily with no concern.. I don't lightly spend this kind of money and have moved from my compulsive 2-year iPhone cycle to more like 3 or 4 years to save money. But it wouldn't break me.

The hardest part of the decision for me is factoring in future-proofing. I'm usually leery of first-gen Apple products because the 2nd gens tend to be really big improvements with features that actually should've/could've been on the first version.

I'll boil it down to this- If AVP is going to be a yearly-upgraded device like the iPhone or the M chips, I could wait until early 2025 for a big jump in Gen 2. But if it's going to be more like the iMac or Mac mini and not come for another 2-4 years, then screw it life's short and I'm in my mid-40's and want to play with this thing after long-fantasizing about what a great AR/VR experience would be like.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm torn - I will definitely own one eventually, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I want to wait for the second generation or not. At $3500+ it's definitely not a product I'll be buying all the generations of (like I do with iPhones), so I have to pick my generation of entry carefully. I suspect the second-gen will get 3nm processors, which may include huge efficiency gains, and also right a lot of first-gen wrongs with lessons that Apple learns during initial production and mass usage. On the other hand, the second-gen might not be out for another ~three years and the first-gen looks incredible enough that I might not want to wait that long.
Yeaaaah… so… I’m not waiting. Lol :)

• Love
Reactions: jbanning

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm mostly sold on it for the immersive experience it looks to be. And yeah, mostly for entertainment. I can't even fathom how I'd use it for work except as an extra monitor, but as most are saying I don't think I'd want to wear it for 8-10 hours a day, plus I'm concerned about the eye-health impact of wearing screens this close to your eyes for a long time.

One factor is I live alone, so there is no partner or kids to get annoyed with me cloistering myself off with this thing. It would be a different story if I had a wife I had to justify the expense to, or was so busy with kids that most home time was family time. This may change in my future, but for now I've got the time to play with this machine.

This is not cheap, but I can afford it. Not breezily with no concern.. I don't lightly spend this kind of money and have moved from my compulsive 2-year iPhone cycle to more like 3 or 4 years to save money. But it wouldn't break me.

The hardest part of the decision for me is factoring in future-proofing. I'm usually leery of first-gen Apple products because the 2nd gens tend to be really big improvements with features that actually should've/could've been on the first version.

I'll boil it down to this- If AVP is going to be a yearly-upgraded device like the iPhone or the M chips, I could wait until early 2025 for a big jump in Gen 2. But if it's going to be more like the iMac or Mac mini and not come for another 2-4 years, then screw it life's short and I'm in my mid-40's and want to play with this thing after long-fantasizing about what a great AR/VR experience would be like.

It you want immersive the quest 3 is much cheaper and has a number of games or entertainment options. The avp will be barebones for awhile.

Quest gets your feet wet at a fraction of price and wait and see what happens with avp.

Reactions: jigzaw

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
If I pre-order, then change my mind can I still cancel? I have a quest 3, its for games not media consumption..

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
plus I'm concerned about the eye-health impact of wearing screens this close to your eyes for a long time.
There is no more health impact from the screens being close to your eyes than there is from the lenses in a pair of glasses being close to your eyes.

The focus distance of the screens is more distant than is typical for any of Apple's other devices with screens.

It's possible you could experience some eye fatigue from the properties of the optics of the device, but I don't really see any mechanism for any long term impact to your vision.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
2 hour tethered battery, bulky, strap on, mid audio experience, completely fine existing without one. Prolly not going to get one.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
I was going to pre-order but with no native youtube app I think I will have to pass for that reason alone

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Does anyone know if iBooks works on this? To me tis seems like the weirdest product launch from Apple I have witnessed and I have been there from the beginning.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I was going to pre-order but with no native youtube app I think I will have to pass for that reason alone
Haha interesting, I don’t have the YouTube app on any of my devices, I prefer using a web browser (I like tabs and saving to my bookmarks).

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just got mine ordered.
256GB w/ extra battery pack.
Very easy and quick preorder experience.

2/2 delivery.
Now the 2 week long wait will be excruciating!

IMG_0355 2.PNG

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Every time I get myself close to convinced that I need/want the Vision Pro, I force myself to remember that VisionOS is mostly like iPadOS. I often question why I paid $1500 for my iPad Pro when it there are just some productivity tasks it can't do well due to OS limitations (filesystem, lesser than productivity apps). Paying $3500 for a Vision Pro that will have the same productivity limitations for work is a deal breaker. Like the iPad, it's a fantastic consumption device and breaks new ground that 2D computing just can't do but $3500 is just too much. $2500 is my max for a device for this.

Reactions: mattspace

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Every time I get myself close to convinced that I need/want the Vision Pro, I force myself to remember that VisionOS is mostly like iPadOS. I often question why I paid $1500 for my iPad Pro when it there are just some productivity tasks it can't do well due to OS limitations (filesystem, lesser than productivity apps). Paying $3500 for a Vision Pro that will have the same productivity limitations for work is a deal breaker. Like the iPad, it's a fantastic consumption device and breaks new ground that 2D computing just can't do but $3500 is just too much. $2500 is my max for a device for this.
Yes I understand wholy where you are coming from!

I have an iPad Pro and do not use it at all as I use a Macbook Pro, Air or my favorite Mac Studio desktop.

More productive using a Mac instead of iOS IMO.

At least I can try out the AVP for 2 weeks and see if it's what it's cracked up to be....

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I wound up ordering the 512GB version today with the travel case and optical inserts. I couldn't change the store for pickup, so it will deliver on the 2nd.

Reactions: 4sallypat

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
but the iPad was around 1/3 the cost most folks were predicting when it launched.

Yes because Apple had a tendency to make very expensive stuff and was a niche player in the computer market at best plus of course that predictions back then were a bit of a guesswork at the time. The idea that Steve Jobs somehow represented an era of cheap Apple products is a far fetched theory in my opinion.

The whole pitch in the keynote was the iPad was Apple's response to netbooks which were popular at the time. Netbooks were cheap, hence the price positioning with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.