Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

At $3,500, will you buy a Vision Pro?

• Definitely yes!

Votes: 172 19.9%
  • Definitely not!

Votes: 455 52.6%
  • Maybe. I want to see the reviews first.

Votes: 238 27.5%

• Total voters

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Honestly, I'm already kind of sick of hearing about the Vision Pro. The price tag, the lack of app support from developers, the hype...it's just all noise at this point. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, it's a solution to a non-existent problem. Granted, I dont think I'm its target audience as I think AR/VR is still very much a fad.

Maybe I'm just cynical but when I see any of these VR headsets, all I see is Ready Player One. Some people are into that but for right now, it's a hard pass for me.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I wound up ordering the 512GB version today with the travel case and optical inserts. I couldn't change the store for pickup, so it will deliver on the 2nd.
Count yourself lucky, as orders 2 hours past preorder opening has pushed deliveries 3-4 weeks beyond 2/2 launch day.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Every time I get myself close to convinced that I need/want the Vision Pro, I force myself to remember that VisionOS is mostly like iPadOS. I often question why I paid $1500 for my iPad Pro when it there are just some productivity tasks it can't do well due to OS limitations (filesystem, lesser than productivity apps). Paying $3500 for a Vision Pro that will have the same productivity limitations for work is a deal breaker. Like the iPad, it's a fantastic consumption device and breaks new ground that 2D computing just can't do but $3500 is just too much. $2500 is my max for a device for this.
You need to stop listening to that little angel on your left shoulder and start listening to the devil on the other.👹

The hardest part of the decision for me is factoring in future-proofing. I'm usually leery of first-gen Apple products because the 2nd gens tend to be really big improvements with features that actually should've/could've been on the first version.

I'll boil it down to this- If AVP is going to be a yearly-upgraded device like the iPhone or the M chips, I could wait until early 2025 for a big jump in Gen 2. But if it's going to be more like the iMac or Mac mini and not come for another 2-4 years, then screw it life's short and I'm in my mid-40's and want to play with this thing after long-fantasizing about what a great AR/VR experience would be like.
I got it because I have purchased every gen 1 major Apple product since they reintroduced the iMac in 2004. From that very first unboxing and subsequent experience of using them, I have never regretted the decision to get the product early. As long as I live I will never forget getting the iPhone on day 1 and what it felt like to use it in my hand. I don't know if the AVP will be the same, but I have my fingers crossed.

Reactions: trevpimp

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I got the 1TB version and tacked on a few accessories bringing it to just over $5K. I plan to use it to watch movies on longhaul flights.

• Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I got it because I have purchased every gen 1 major Apple product since they reintroduced the iMac in 2004. From that very first unboxing and subsequent experience of using them, I have never regretted the decision to get the product early. As long as I live I will never forget getting the iPhone on day 1 and what it felt like to use it in my hand. I don't know if the AVP will be the same, but I have my fingers crossed.
I agree with you that from iPod to iPhone to iPad to Apple Watch I have loved being on the 1st generation experience. But $3500 is an eye watering amount. Sure a well equipped MacBook Pro comes close but it could be one and only device for all my computing needs - all of these other devices are secondary device for most folks.

I agree with you that from iPod to iPhone to iPad to Apple Watch I have loved being on the 1st generation experience. But $3500 is an eye watering amount. Sure a well equipped MacBook Pro comes close but it could be one and only device for all my computing needs - all of these other devices are secondary device for most folks.
For sure a large amount of money and not nearly as approachable for people as some of the other products. I am fortunate that at this stage in my life I can afford this experience and while it is certainly a large sum of money, it isn't a problem to purchase it. Given that, I am still crossing my fingers that I don't regret spending nearly $4K on a "dud" of an experience :p

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
For sure a large amount of money and not nearly as approachable for people as some of the other products. I am fortunate that at this stage in my life I can afford this experience and while it is certainly a large sum of money, it isn't a problem to purchase it. Given that, I am still crossing my fingers that I don't regret spending nearly $4K on a "dud" of an experience :p
Well you have two weeks to try it out. Closer to 4 if you initiate a FedEx return on Day 14.

Like you I have a decent income and nobody else dependent on it. I spent as much on a first class flight to London last year chasing airline status (and avoiding the nightmare that is the normal security line at Heathrow). The AVP should last longer than my OneWorld Emerald status. ;)

I was out of town last weekend when my Vision Pro showed up, but I picked it up yesterday and have used it for about two hours in total since. I am LOVING every second of it. Definitely not going to be a "dud" and I haven't been this giddy about tech since the original iPhone release!!

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
When the Macintosh 128K first came out in 1984, it cost something like $2500. If you convert that to today's dollars, that's over $7000. That's quite a bit more than $3500, and yet the Macintosh 128K still sold decently well. Just as that sold well 40 years ago, the Vision Pro should also sell. While the Vision Pro may be too expensive for many, lots of other people can and will buy one.

Of course, whatever exists in 3-5 years will probably make the current model look like hot garbage, but that's just the early adopter tax.

Reactions: Arsenikdote

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
When the Macintosh 128K first came out in 1984, it cost something like $2500. If you convert that to today's dollars, that's over $7000. That's quite a bit more than $3500, and yet the Macintosh 128K still sold decently well. Just as that sold well 40 years ago, the Vision Pro should also sell. While the Vision Pro may be too expensive for many, lots of other people can and will buy one.

Of course, whatever exists in 3-5 years will probably make the current model look like hot garbage, but that's just the early adopter tax.
My first Apple was the IIe with dual 5.25" floppy drives and it was $1800 back then.

$3500 is nothing compared to what prices paid back in the 1980s.

TheRealDrJones

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
It's not the price, it's what you get for it.
Yes, it's probably awesome. But it's also incredibly inflexible. Cool but limited, like an iPad with VR.

It's not the price, it's what you get for it.
Yes, it's probably awesome. But it's also incredibly inflexible. Cool but limited, like an iPad with VR.
After having one for a few days, only, I obviously can’t talk about my long-term use of this product. However, so far, I can’t imagine not using this thing every day for the foreseeable future I have never done that with my iPad. To me, the iPad has never really found a place in my daily routine so I am sensitive to whether or not a device would work for me longer-term. So far the Apple Vision Pro has exceeded my expectations for a daily used device.

I respect you having a different perspective and situation, but your view is just completely not my experience with the device so far. Is it perfect, no, Is there a lot to enhance, yes. but so far, no limitations that are preventing me from using it like I was hoping and it has exceeded almost every expectation

Reactions: TheRealDrJones

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Oh get a life ... maybe a fishing rod ...

Glowzinski85

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
I want one. I save for things over a specific price. So I would get it in September. I had a brain injury in 03 and lost all but about 8% of my vision. I am interested in seeing how it goes for me.

I liked watching the short movie clips at the demo. Also, reading an article. Those would probably be what I did like 90% of the time. I could finally read all the stuff fI get from Apple +. I have an iPad but man, reading with the Vision just felt great.

Not sure if the crack story is true of just a rumor. Apple deleted my thoughts on it from their forum. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.