Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

At $3,500, will you buy a Vision Pro?

• Definitely yes!

Votes: 172 19.9%
  • Definitely not!

Votes: 455 52.6%
  • Maybe. I want to see the reviews first.

Votes: 238 27.5%

• Total voters

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
They would have tempted me with a 1,500 device. I would have loved to see their new platform right from the beginning. And I’m super curious how the UI and interactions work in person. But 3,500 is way out of my league for disposable money. And even with all its interesting features, I don’t see as a device I need right now. Just one I want.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 2 hour battery life kills it for me. I might be able to justify the high price might if I could use it like an iPhone anywhere and often enough to get my money’s worth. But the battery belt and scuba diver goggles means this thing is for home use. If I’m home, I can just use my 49-inch monitor.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Count me as a maybe. It’s expensive, but it seems like Apple has put of a lot of fancy technology in it and may have some new use cases for it.
Technology wise...the geek in me says it's AWESOME. Price wise, while it's not an issue for me...I don't see a use case worth that cost yet.

I'm conflicted 😂 It's cool and "meh" at the same time. I kind of feel like I could have stopped watching the keynote during that announcement and feel like I didn't miss much.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Perhaps not in v1, but I can see something like this essentially replacing large monitors, particularly for traveling or personal use. Apple was definitely pointing out the 4K-equivalent screen.

And I am seeing it as a Laptop your face. The Chip might not be MacBook Pro... but I am sure it's very capable.
The 2 hour battery life kills it for me. I might be able to justify the high price might if I could use it like an iPhone anywhere and often enough to get my money’s worth. But the battery belt and scuba diver goggles means this thing is for home use. If I’m home, I can just use my 49-inch monitor.

It's the first Gen. The next gen will bring an Apple Vision Air consumer for $999.

the battery life is an issue but I wonder if it's hot swap? I am sure you must have time to swap to another battery.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Definitely will buy v1, then afterwards v3 or v4 (whenever they do the first “major” design change). A brand new platform that has good potential long term — worth the cost to experience and experiment. There will be a new App Store, and early developers to the platform should have a good share of eyeballs (literally!)

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Just as I predicted some time ago -- this WILL replace monitors.

Mark my words, Apple will cease making monitors as this thing matures and they can offer more functions such as (use your imagination here) a built-in projector which will allow you to project what you're seeing, so someone else can also look at it with you/you can show them what you are pointing at/working on/designing/engaging with, etc...

Just sucks that with this tech, as they even pointed out during the unveiling, people will become more and more reclusive -- I think the line was something along the lines of "now you won't even need to leave your house to attend the game"

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
And I am seeing it as a Laptop your face. The Chip might not be MacBook Pro... but I am sure it's very capable.

It's the first Gen. The next gen will bring an Apple Vision Air consumer for $999.

the battery life is an issue but I wonder if it's hot swap? I am sure you must have time to swap to another battery.
They said it has an M2. Granted, it could be clocked down, but they did show versions of Microsoft Office running on it.

Reactions: ADHWGT and Ghost31

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Just as I predicted some time ago -- this WILL replace monitors.

Mark my words, Apple will cease making monitors as this thing matures and they can offer more functions such as (use your imagination here) a built-in projector which will allow you to project what you're seeing, so someone else can also look at it with you/you can show them what you are pointing at/working on/designing/engaging with, etc...

Just sucks that with this tech, as they even pointed out during the unveiling, people will become more and more reclusive -- I think the line was something along the lines of "now you won't even need to leave your house to attend the game"

Wishful prediction. Monitors will be around as the default way to interact with information for many many years to come.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I do think this is the start of a new generation in technology, but no. I'm not willing to be an early adopter on this. $3,500 is a lot of money on a discretionary product in general, but add on to that:

• It's a first generation product that will likely be significantly improved in the second generation. I feel like the M3 chip alone will be a noticeable jump in battery life and performance.
  • Apple pretty much has to get the price down in future versions, whether it's through a cheaper non-Pro version or the same Pro product at a lower price, or both if it wants this product line to be successful.
  • It's probably going to take a significant amount of time to get the app and gaming ecosystem built for it.
  • Like the Apple Watch, Apple seems to be unsure of where this product is going. Sure, it's groundbreaking technology, but you're mostly doing the same old things right now, just in new ways (using your computer, watching TV, responding to texts). I feel like there's a lot of potential to be tapped into as Apple and developers iterate on it over the next 5 years.
    • An example of really unique potential that Apple has tapped into: 3D video capture. If only I could experience all of my existing photos and videos in 3D, as if I was in those moments again using some time portal.
    • Additionally, I'm not fully persuaded on some of the features/rationale yet:
      • Like Apple uses the example of escaping airplane distractions with the Vision Pro, but it doesn't go over your ears and provide noise cancellation. So, sure, your vision might be blocked off from the world around you, but you'll still hear those noisy kids in the airplane seats next to you, no? I'm assuming I could pair my AirPods Max with them, but how well will that work in reality?
      • Ok, yes, the Vision Pro can bring an OLED 4K TV of any size with you with Spatial Audio, but you'll need a battery pack for content longer than 2 hours or an outlet.
      • They gave the example that this is significantly cheaper than a comparable TV, surround sound system, etc. which may be true, but those are things you can share with family and friends whereas this is a purely single user setup.
I'm actually really impressed with what they've been able to do, and I am really excited to see where it goes. This does feel like one of those products that really only Apple could make. But, no, I won't be buying a Vision Pro at $3,500. I'll probably be doing the same thing I did with the Apple Watch and wait for around 5 years for when things are really ironed out and, in this case, cheaper.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Once we get closer to 2024, I’l Be playing close attention. I do anticipate that Apple will discus the Vision Pro at the ”October“ event.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
All depends on just how good the OLED display tech is. I need to try them.
I think it’s microLED

Edit: I TOTALLY thought they said “microLED” in the keynote. Just saw that it’s micro-OLED. I’m shocked. I thought they were headed toward microLED, and this and Watch would be the first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.