Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
I am transferring from my old watch to a new one and I cannot get cellular to connect. I spoke with customer service earlier and they tried to help me for several minutes, then they told me to wait for about four hours, and they think it will be easier for everything to work then. That will be around 10 PM tonight. We will see if it works.
Just in case it isn't working yet, I kept getting error ERR0093-WS when I tried to connect cellular, with a message to try back later. This is what I did to fix it:

- Go into iPhone Settings --> Wi-Fi Calling
- Make sure that "Wi-Fi Calling on This Phone" is turned ON
- Tap on "Update Emergency Address"
- Make sure that your address is correct and is in all capital letters
- Go back to the Watch app and try to set up cellular again

That took care of it for me.

Joneszee904

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
I caller Att around 5 pm, they tried and could not fix my error problem. They asked if they could call me back around 11pm, I said yes. To my surprise they called me back at exactly 11. They had me unpair my watch and turn everything off and on. They wanted me to set my watch up as new but I said that really shouldn’t be necessary. Still errors. They had me turn everything off and on again and sure enough everything worked immediately and I am now back on cellular. I was actually impressed with their service to getting my issue fixed.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
The problem I'm having is the watch keeps talking to me. Things like enter passcode or if I tough something on the screen, it will tell me what it is. Like what time it is or double tap to unlock. Still can't set it up for cellular.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Just in case it isn't working yet, I kept getting error ERR0093-WS when I tried to connect cellular, with a message to try back later. This is what I did to fix it:

Thanks…. That did it! Took a little patience and going thru the prompts. It was just a little slow to show it worked.

Reactions: JBinPDX

skeuomorphism

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015

This worked!

Reactions: JBinPDX

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Make sure you restart both watches after you do the transfer on the network. That worked for mine. Old one first, then the new and the new one picked up the change in about 10-15 minutes.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
This does happen every year, depending on when I get my new phone or watch. AT&T activation servers get slammed and it takes awhile to get cell service activated. If I get lucky and get my devices early in the day it’s way quicker, but between the hours of 3pm to 8pm it’s a pain.

rbertoniere

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2019
I had the same problem and either emergency address for Wifi calling is the issue or I got lucky. I went into settings / phone and turned off WiFi calling and calls on other devices. Restarted my iPhone. Went back into the phone settings and turned everything back on. Then I set up cellular and everything worked just like it should.

az23489

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Tried all the above no luck so far... I get a mixture of errors a 404, Opps try again later, you have multiple plans on your device, just a plain white screen. ATT reps on the phone have not been able to figure it out. I tried the emergency address workaround described earlier and no luck. Also tried a reboot with toggling WiFi calling on/off no luck either.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Still having issues this morning (9/23).. tried the wifi wifi calling and emergency address thingy, and so far no good.

I am trying to replace an exisiting Ultra1 watch with the cellular I already have on ATT.

Someone mentioned logging into ATT and activating the Ultra2 esim there. How do you do that? (of course, I am just wanting to replace... not add another cellular plan for the new watch).

I wonder.. should I wipe and deactivate the Ultra1 first?

Thanks

Resolved
-----------
Unpaired my old Ultra1 (LOL forgot)
Unpaired new Ultra2
powered everything off, including iPhone
powered on iPhone and new Ultra2
Repaired watch
Setup cellular
got all the way through, and got ATT cellular number of old watch
Did a replace
Got an error
Powered everything off and back on
Working after a few minutes

Last edited:

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I had to go in-store and they fixed it. I don’t know what they did though.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
This may sound odd…. And it doesn’t make sense to me. I could not get it activated yesterday, last night, this morning. All sorts of errors. Spent hours on the phone with AT&T…. This morning I turned off my WiFi on my phone and forced the iPhone out on the AT&T network for the activation and boom…. Went right thru. No clue why my network would be causing issues.

travismetcalf

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
This may sound odd…. And it doesn’t make sense to me. I could not get it activated yesterday, last night, this morning. All sorts of errors. Spent hours on the phone with AT&T…. This morning I turned off my WiFi on my phone and forced the iPhone out on the AT&T network for the activation and boom…. Went right thru. No clue why my network would be causing issues.
I tried this and it worked! Turned off Wifi on my iPhone and it immediately started working.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxMACxx

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I can't activate cellular on AT&T - it keeps trying to send the verification code to a Galaxy watch on my account and not the primary phone number.

I read tht if you move to a new phone, it can take 24 hours for their systems to update and allow the right default primary number again.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've been having the same issue. Went from AWU1 to AWU2. Could not get it working. It ended up being my home network. Running Firewalla with an ad blocker. I think it was the chat. Disabled wifi and it worked right away

Reactions: xxMACxx

hopsenberry

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you! This fixed the issue for me on Verizon too. It was probably my pihole or router that was blocking something.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I've been having the same issue. Went from AWU1 to AWU2. Could not get it working. It ended up being my home network. Running Firewalla with an ad blocker. I think it was the chat. Disabled wifi and it worked right away
I’m running a Firewalla as well. Pretty crazy.

hinrgmike

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
North Richland Hills, TX
Tried all the above no luck so far... I get a mixture of errors a 404, Opps try again later, you have multiple plans on your device, just a plain white screen. ATT reps on the phone have not been able to figure it out. I tried the emergency address workaround described earlier and no luck. Also tried a reboot with toggling WiFi calling on/off no luck either.
I was having a hell of a time Friday night getting my new Watch 9 up and running. Got all of these errors as you mention. Finally called Apple customer service and got it all sorted.

While I upgrade my iPhone every year, this was my first time upgrading Apple Watch. What I did not realize is that the cellular models are very finicky if you don't unpair/erase the old watch first and then set up new watch using the Restore from prior watch setting. They had me unpair my old Apple Watch (with ATT) and then erase and start over with the Apple Watch 9 and restore from the old model. This time everything came up just fine and it successfully activated the ATT cellular instantly. I told them, I really wish Apple would make it clear for new upgraders that it is best to unpair/erase old Watch BEFORE setting up new one. With iPhone I just migrate to new phone and then wipe old one. Ah well, now I know for future!

az23489

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
P
I was having a hell of a time Friday night getting my new Watch 9 up and running. Got all of these errors as you mention. Finally called Apple customer service and got it all sorted.

While I upgrade my iPhone every year, this was my first time upgrading Apple Watch. What I did not realize is that the cellular models are very finicky if you don't unpair/erase the old watch first and then set up new watch using the Restore from prior watch setting. They had me unpair my old Apple Watch (with ATT) and then erase and start over with the Apple Watch 9 and restore from the old model. This time everything came up just fine and it successfully activated the ATT cellular instantly. I told them, I really wish Apple would make it clear for new upgraders that it is best to unpair/erase old Watch BEFORE setting up new one. With iPhone I just migrate to new phone and then wipe old one. Ah well, now I know for future!
got it sorted out with the help of some back end support from ATT. I had 2 esims and it was leading to a contention issue with loading based on what I gathered from the explanation. How did I get 2? Maybe the steps above would have helped maybe not. I had an issue a week earlier where my phone needed a new eSIM. I suspect something related happened with my watch and it maybe have been setup for failure from my old watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.