Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I received an email from AT&T on 11/28 that they will be activating the Screen Saver feature on the Grandfathered Unlimited Plans and they will send me an email when activated. It is now showing activated on My AT&T and of course I did not receive any follow up email.

I tried to turn off the feature and I get an error message “ Something’s not working. We cant save your new Stream Saver setting for this device right now. Give it some time, and try again.” I called AT&T and the customer service rep said they will turn off. I log back into My AT&T and it still showed turned on. I call back again and the next rep is trying to assure me that it has been removed but it is still showing turned on.

Pretty irritating that it appears Stream Saver is still turned on and for most with this grandfathered plan would have no need to have this feature activated. Not sure if this is not fully functional yet or that we will be forced to 480p video quality.

Anyone else in this predicament?

Reactions: bimmahh

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Yep!!!! Exact same thing. Now I am upset...

Just finished a chat with support. While the rep said he had to get the "back office" to actually remove, he said they were able... but to wait a few minutes for it to show on my account. It has been about 10 and still shows as "on"

Last edited:

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Yep!!!! Exact same thing. Now I am upset...

Just finished a chat with support. While the rep said he had to get the "ball office" to actually remove, he said they were able... but to wait a few minutes for it to show on my account. It has been about 10 and still shows as "on"
Keep us updated. Mine has not changed since 2pm. Other GUP should contact also.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Why are y’all still on the grandfather plan? The new plus plan is am better and from what I heard it’s cheaper. You get tethering.

Did you have a 20% monthly discount that stayed when you moved plans? Cause it would seem that those discounts no longer apply on those new plans...
[doublepost=1512800503][/doublepost]Chatted with a supervisor during my second chat who confirmed that there is a bug for customers and reps alike. He said that it would take 2 days (unlike the previous rep 3 hours before that said it would take a few minutes).

I will believe it when I see it.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Did you have a 20% monthly discount that stayed when you moved plans? Cause it would seem that those discounts no longer apply on those new plans...
[doublepost=1512800503][/doublepost]Chatted with a supervisor during my second chat who confirmed that there is a bug for customers and reps alike. He said that it would take 2 days (unlike the previous rep 3 hours before that said it would take a few minutes).

I will believe it when I see it.
I didn’t have grandfather plan. I did a long time ago with Verizon. But I now have the plus plan with att I like it better cause I can use hotspot.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I didn’t have grandfather plan. I did a long time ago with Verizon. But I now have the plus plan with att I like it better cause I can use hotspot.

I am glad your plan works for you... but I do have the grandfathered unlimited plan from AT&T with a 20% discount and a Verizon mifi provided to me by my work.

That is why your plan is not better for me.

Reactions: Dkoc13

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I am glad your plan works for you... but I do have the grandfathered unlimited plan from AT&T with a 20% discount and a Verizon mifi provided to me by my work.

That is why your plan is not better for me.
Understandable. I think the new plan is better for most. Cause if your ina congested area your gonna be slowed down no matter what. Hell I use like 5 gbs at most a month and sometimes I notice my speeds slowed down.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I've had a couple months this year where I hit the 22GB right at the end of my billing cycle. I travel quite a bit and my LTE speeds are always better than any wifi I encounter and most of the time better than my Verizon mifi. Only time I use wifi is when I'm home and at my office. Other than that, tons of cellular data...

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The topic of this thread is the Stream Saver function on the Grandfathered Plan, not the appropriateness of the plan itself, which has been discussed on numerous other threads. There are people, myself included, that still find it worthwhile to stay on this plan even after extensively reviewing the other alternative "unlimited" plans that are available.

Regarding the Stream Saver option, I too have tried turning it off, but have received an error notice that "Something is not working..." If anyone has any updated information on how to get this resolved, it would definitely be of use to hear. What's particularly upsetting on AT&T's part, was that the recent email discussing the feature said another would be forthcoming when it was activated. Also, if I recall correctly, Stream Saver has always been an available option, that was never mandatory, and off by default.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I received an email from AT&T on 11/28 that they will be activating the Screen Saver feature on the Grandfathered Unlimited Plans and they will send me an email when activated. It is now showing activated on My AT&T and of course I did not receive any follow up email.

I tried to turn off the feature and I get an error message “ Something’s not working. We cant save your new Stream Saver setting for this device right now. Give it some time, and try again.” I called AT&T and the customer service rep said they will turn off. I log back into My AT&T and it still showed turned on. I call back again and the next rep is trying to assure me that it has been removed but it is still showing turned on.

Pretty irritating that it appears Stream Saver is still turned on and for most with this grandfathered plan would have no need to have this feature activated. Not sure if this is not fully functional yet or that we will be forced to 480p video quality.

Anyone else in this predicament?

Whoops wrong service

BearBert

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Why not wait a few more days and see what happens if the kinks are worked out. I wouldn't put it past AT&T if this is their way of trying to get more people off Grandfathered Unlimited Plans.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This is the truly grandfathered unlimited data plan from years ago?

Does this also apply to unlimited plus?

That sucks if the former

No official tether. And now crap video.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Video looks incredibly bad. I am not paying for a phone with one of the best screens available, and $120/month for service to have AT&T arbitrarily cripple my service like this. Outrageous.

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
where do you guys see this feature?

I just logged in and I do not see it. I have 3x GF plans on my account

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I am in the same boat too. Still have my AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan and transferred it to my iPhone X last month. All had been going well until I got that email about "stream saver" which I had never heard of previously.

I logged into my AT&T account both with my computer and on my iPhone with the MyAT&T app to look at it. I got the same error message as others have described when trying to turn the switch for stream saver to OFF.

I honestly don't want or need stream saver. Hopefully in another few days I'll be able to turn it off.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
It’s ridiculous, this motivates long time customers like me to keep WiFi turned off and stream harder and longer.

Edit: going to turn on VPN and stream video data. Theoretically, stream saver shouldn’t know the difference.

Update: VPN works, I streamed videos on my Verizon FIOS app and YouTube with high resolution. Like others here have stated, my AT&T app shows Stream Saver turned on and can’t be switched off without giving an error when saving that setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam1080

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I also have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan. Saving about 23% through my employer.

Have yet to receive any stream saver email info. Also I still have yet to be charged an upgrade fee with my iPhone X.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
AT&T keeps coming out with great options like that.
They are only good for them though, not the customer :D

Unlimited plus is good. Who knows how long that’ll last I don’t think the one I’m on was offered for very long before becoming something else yet again

My parents LOVE having tether option without crazy jailbreak stuff I had to manage. I LOVE it too. I hated doing that. My dad sim swapped with his jailbroken 6 just for fringe hot spot moments haha

But I’m also glad I didn’t go for the loyalty 2 year trap of a really cheap X

don’t wanna be tied to them, panel lottery, and Qualcomm modem making a difference in my apt all combined

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Unlimited plus is good. Who knows how long that’ll last I don’t think the one I’m on was offered for very long before becoming something else yet again

My parents LOVE having tether option without crazy jailbreak stuff I had to manage. I LOVE it too. I hated doing that. My dad sim swapped with his jailbroken 6 just for fringe hot spot moments haha

But I’m also glad I didn’t go for the loyalty 2 year trap of a really cheap X

don’t wanna be tied to them, panel lottery, and Qualcomm modem making a difference in my apt all combined

Every carrier offers unlimited data now bro.
Many with an included tethering option also. AT&T is not giving you anything more.
They just decided to add the feature of providing you with crappy video streaming now :D

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I also have the grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan. Saving about 23% through my employer.

Have yet to receive any stream saver email info. Also I still have yet to be charged an upgrade fee with my iPhone X.
Did you check your My ATT account under manage data ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.