Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You're saying that many of these people have no WiFi at home, and stream unlimited pirated HD videos from their phone to their TV's via AT&T wireless? Presumably buying an Apple TV just for Airplay, or do they use the lightning to HDMI adapter? It seems to me that those people would be a minority of users.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And while they may be a minority of users, they are a majority when it comes to the amount of data they consume.

Last year I sold the SIM card from my iPad with the Grandfathered UDP for $1500 because the buyer had no wi-fi, consumed large amounts of data, and $30 a month was the best deal to be found. Check out eBay and the iPad section of this forum, prices were once even higher.

We have 7 iPhones and 4 iPads that can do native 720p or 1080p video, and we usually only sync SD video to our iPhones and put HD video to our iPads through iTunes. I can see why many people would prefer to stream HD to their iPads while they are mobile, but agree that's it's less important on a phone.

Similar here, we have 5 iPhones and that 1 iPad on our Unlimited Plus plan. To see if they'd notice, I put my 3 kid's iPhone's on Stream Saver and they've never been able to tell the difference, that what they're streaming on YouTube or Netflix is only 480i.

Big picture, Stream Saver is a blessing. 99% of the users couldn't tell the difference anyway, and imagine what the network would be if millions of ATT users took advantage of the new unlimited plans and could stream in 1080p or 4K. Would choke the very reliable network most of us are so pleased with.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, that's what I'm saying. And while they may be a minority of users, they are a majority when it comes to the amount of data they consume.

Last year I sold the SIM card from my iPad with the Grandfathered UDP for $1500 because the buyer had no wi-fi, consumed large amounts of data, and $30 a month was the best deal to be found. Check out eBay and the iPad section of this forum, prices were once even higher.

I have the Unlimited Data Plan grandfathered on my iPad Air 2, which I've been using since I got the very first iPad on launch day 7 years ago. i had no idea how much they are worth now!

When you sold the SIM, how did you handle the fact that the SIM's billing account was tied to your email, name/address, phone and credit card?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have the Unlimited Data Plan grandfathered on my iPad Air 2, which I've been using since I got the very first iPad on launch day 7 years ago. i had no idea how much they are worth now!

Same here! I was able to get $1500 for the plan and bring my monthly spend down to $20 by adding my Air 2 to my Unlimited Plus plan.

When you sold the SIM, how did you handle the fact that the SIM's billing account was tied to your email, name/address, phone and credit card?

The buyer provides the seller with his email, name/address, phone, credit card, and the IMEI of the buyers GSM compatible iPad. The seller then deletes his own personal information and makes those changes to the account, the buyers email address now becoming the userid. The seller then provides the buyer with the new password which the buyer uses on his iPad to register the device and eventually changes for future security at his convenience. The SIM never gets sent. It’s unnecessary. You keep the SIM, wait 24 hours, then add your now-unregistered iPad to the data plan of your choosing.

This works for Grandfathered UDP iPad’s.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Same here! I was able to get $1500 for the plan and bring my monthly spend down to $20 by adding my Air 2 to my Unlimited Plus plan.

The buyer provides the seller with his email, name/address, phone, credit card, and the IMEI of the buyers GSM compatible iPad. The seller then deletes his own personal information and makes those changes to the account, the buyers email address now becoming the userid. The seller then provides the buyer with the new password which the buyer uses on his iPad to register the device and eventually changes for future security at his convenience. The SIM never gets sent. It’s unnecessary. You keep the SIM, wait 24 hours, then add your now-unregistered iPad to the data plan of your choosing.

This works for Grandfathered UDP iPad’s.

Kinda tricky getting someone to give up their credit card number though. I'd have thought maybe it involved including a VISA debit gift card or something. I've moved my SIM from iPad to iPad over the past 7 years, and would have thought they'd need the SIM.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Kinda tricky getting someone to give up their credit card number though. I'd have thought maybe it involved including a VISA debit gift card or something. I've moved my SIM from iPad to iPad over the past 7 years, and would have thought they'd need the SIM.

Yes, gift card was an option but the buyer trusted me. Moving the SIM wasn’t necessary. Reassigning the IMEI is what actually moved the plan to the buyers hardware.

I’m not sure what the current market value is. When I sold my plan ATT wasn’t slowing speeds after crossing the 22gb mark; not sure what they are doing now.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
It should be noted that the human eye cannot discern 1080i from 480p on an iPhone screen. So the Stream Saver "issue" is really not a concern for the typical AT&T customer.

What we're really talking about here are the data hogs who only want HD quality streams to play back on their big screen HDTV's as a way to skirt cable TV fees and, in many cases, paying for any content at all, stealing movies and TV shows off of torrent sites.

Stream Saver is a great feature. It dramatically reduces network congestion for the 99% of ATT customers who are good people and aren't taking advantage as a way to save a few dollars for themselves like the 1% who are disadvantaging everyone else.

Wow...

More horse S in that post than at the Kentucky Derby.

1080i...? How much 1080i is being streamed? Besides a very select few network TV broadcasts, you're seeing 720p or 1080p sources, not 1080i, so you have discredited yourself there.

Saying there is no difference between 480p and higher resolutions on modern devices if pure ignorance. Maybe if you provided a viewing distance for your sweeping generalization, I would not totally refute it.

Go right ahead and enjoy watching only 480p content on your new iPhone X, put 80 octane leaded fuel in your BMW, and feed your trophy wife McDonalds and dress her at TJMaxx...

Maybe your eye won’t tell the difference...

Last edited:

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, gift card was an option but the buyer trusted me. Moving the SIM wasn’t necessary. Reassigning the IMEI is what actually moved the plan to the buyers hardware.

I’m not sure what the current market value is. When I sold my plan ATT wasn’t slowing speeds after crossing the 22gb mark; not sure what they are doing now.

Not sure I would sell mine, but when I looked at my settings on the iPad I could access name, address, phone, email, and credit card, but there was no where to change the IMEI and I don't know the URL to log into that account on a web browser in another device.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I do have the grandfathered unlimited plan from AT&T with a 20% discount
I had the unlimited plan with ~25% discount IIRC. I left AT&T last year when they removed the 2-yr subsidy upgrades. Right now T-Mobile unlimited (w/ unlimited pass) is 80/mo for 1 line. Considering this includes unlimited minutes and texts, it's definitely cheaper than the original AT&T plan, even with discounts. With family plans, T-Mobile is roughly half the price of the AT&T plans.

No subsidy.
Limited minutes.
Limited text.
$10 increase per unlimited plan.
The original AT&T plan just isn't that good anymore.

Reactions: Applejuiced

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Not sure I would sell mine, but when I looked at my settings on the iPad I could access name, address, phone, email, and credit card, but there was no where to change the IMEI and I don't know the URL to log into that account on a web browser in another device.

I believe what I did was go to my AT&T on a web browser, go into my devices, and change the information there. It was back in April so I don’t quite remember all the details.

EDIT: Here you go:

https://www.conferencesthatwork.com...ove-an-unlimited-att-data-plan-to-a-new-ipad/

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Saying there is no difference between 480p and higher resolutions on modern devices if pure ignorance.

The correct word is “is” so you have discredited yourself there.

Unless you watch iPhone video with a magnifying glass, your eye cannot discern 480 from 1080 from 4K so this faux Stream Saver outrage is pointless.

Unless of course you’re one of the data abusers making the network slower for the rest of us, in which case Stream Saver is what you deserve.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
just noticed mine was turned on apparently and never even knew i had such feature. yesterday i was trying to watch a short video on YouTube but it kept buffering and would never load. later yesterday i was on FB and trying to watch another short video and again, kept buffering and would never load. restarted my iPhone X but still didn't help.

checking my att account just to periodically check how much data I've used and see that stream saver was turned on. how and by who? has anyone had this happen before? what's the point if it never loaded the video. both time i had full bars.

I don't have an unlimited plan. 20GB family plan and have used 12GB with about a week left of so.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012

Big picture, Stream Saver is a blessing. 99% of the users couldn't tell the difference anyway, and imagine what the network would be if millions of ATT users took advantage of the new unlimited plans and could stream in 1080p or 4K. Would choke the very reliable network most of us are so pleased with.

Unless you watch iPhone video with a magnifying glass, your eye cannot discern 480 from 1080 from 4K so this faux Stream Saver outrage is pointless.

Unless of course you’re one of the data abusers making the network slower for the rest of us, in which case Stream Saver is what you deserve.

You are not getting anyone on this forum to agree with you so far on your claim that there is no difference in resolution... Somewhat telling of your opinion.

I also love the fact that you keep talking about these "data abusers" while you publicly admit to selling your Unlimited data plan SIM card (in what feels like some shady deal) to your own exact definition of a data abuser that has "no wifi and consumed large amounts of data."

Maybe that guy with your old SIM is hogging all your network bandwidth that concerns you so much... Brilliant.

(And for the record, I pay my local ISP for their services and do not use my phone or cell data on my "big screen HDTV" since I actually care about resolution and picture quality...)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just because YOUR vision is inadequate does not mean mine is as well.

Humans can not discern 480 from 1080 on mobile phone screens. Now, if you’re from Krypton and your name is Jor-El, different story, x-ray vision and all.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Your low standards and lack of visual acuity are not my problem.

No, but your misinformed emotions are.

You can’t argue against physics. It doesn’t matter how good your eyes are, once you are past 6 inches away from your nose, which I assume is how you would be watching video content on an iPhone, the human eye is incapable of differentiating the resolutions currently available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.