Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
You can order on Apple, and trade the phone in with AT&T presumably. I've always just done it direct through AT&T.
When I upgraded from iPhone 8 to 12, I had to go through AT&T because I also needed to upgrade my line. It worked out fine but the trade in process was a little tricky, at least at the time (I needed to pay close attention to the fine print and apply a trade in offer code to the order).

When I upgraded from iPhone 12 to 14 Pro, I went through Apple and it was as smooth as silk. I ordered the phone through the Apple Store app, and picked it up at my local Apple store an hour or so later. Apple handled everything involved with setting up the new phone and setting up the AT&T financing (it was actually an Apple finance plan assigned to AT&T under the terms advertised by AT&T, and applied to my AT&T account).

A few days later I received a shipping box from Apple to mail in the old phone, along with tracking (FedEx) in both directions. The trade was processed by Apple (actually by an Apple vendor) and automatically went through to AT&T with no issues for the full trade-in value.

Based on my experience, trading in through Apple was a better experience than through AT&T, especially if you prefer to pick up the new phone at an Apple store rather than having it shipped to you. The Apple Store app (and Apple website) was easy to use and worked perfectly from ordering to pick-up to trade-in, including automatically recognizing that I was trading in the phone and account from which I was using the Apple Store app. I think AT&T has improved their trade-in website but it still isn't as slick end-to-end as Apple's.

Reactions: Bo15 and boltjames

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
There is no purchase option, if you want the $1000 credit you have to use their finance plan and receive the credits over 36 payments. It’s a way of trying to lock you in as a customer.
This is true, however you can pay off the phone early and keep the credits applied to date.

There will be a break-even point where the credits received from AT&T will be the same as what Apple was offering as a trade-in value, so as long as the phone is paid off after that date you will be ahead of the game even if you don't end up receiving the full credit. So for example if the Apple trade-in value is $570 and the AT&T trade-in value is $1,000, then the break even date is about 21 months or just under 2 years.

Reactions: Illini Al and Wags

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
iPhone 12 Pro is a $830 credit when traded towards a 15 Pro on Att site.

What I can’t find is a list of eligible unlimited plans to get the credit. All our lines are on the Att Unlimited Elite, the plan that includes HboMax and is retired. There is vague wording about some retired plans still qualify.
That’s exactly what I want to know. Is the Elite plan eligible?

AppleAbuser86

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
I'm torn...I want the 15 pro max 512gb but I don't want to be locked in for $15.84 for 36months with ATT. They're offering the best deal for my 11 pro max 256gb. ($830)

If I make double payments (31.68), would I still get the full credits or is that only if I complete the 36 month term? I know I will want another iPhone in less than 36months. The next plan is an option but I'm sure there are some caveats to that plan too. Can someone explain what would be the best option....Iphone Upgrade program or ATT installment w/next plan?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I’m on the same boat here. When do we get to complete our “pre” pre order ?

I don't think the carriers allowed pre-pre-order in previous years, just the IUP. But Apple's website suggests it is allowed this year. Though for AT&T, I don't see the option to do it. Just the Notify button.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
I don't think the carriers allowed pre-pre-order in previous years, just the IUP. But Apple's website suggests it is allowed this year. Though for AT&T, I don't see the option to do it. Just the Notify button.
Hmm, I just messaged apple and they said the “pre” pre order options won’t be available to complete for carrier plans but should be active and ready to go at 5am pre order day.

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021
Out of curiosity, those of you who have done this deal before, what has your upgrade path looked like? Have you stayed for the full 36 months? Did you only stay 24 months and paid off the remaining (1/3rd) balance in order to do the deal again with the new iPhone that year? Any other scenarios?

Reactions: AppleAbuser86

AppleAbuser86

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Out of curiosity, those of you who have done this deal before, what has your upgrade path looked like? Have you stayed for the full 36 months? Did you only stay 24 months and paid off the remaining (1/3rd) balance in order to do the deal again with the new iPhone that year? Any other scenarios?
I'm wondering if the next plan would be an option too. You would pay an extra $6 fee but you can upgrade once you have 50% of the phone paid off.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I am planning to do what you propose. (I paid off my last phone three months early - it was a 30 month term - so I forfeited less than $100 in credits, no big deal.)

If the trade in value is $1,000, then you receive about $27.70 per month in credits, which is about $667 after 24 months. So, essentially receiving a $667 discount instead of $1,000. Still not a bad deal after 24 months IMHO.

It comes down to your preference to upgrade after two years or three and whether it is worth the additional $333 out of pocket to upgrade early. It may also depend on what the prices for new phones are at that time and what the trade-in and financing deals look like. If in the future AT&T decides that trade-ins are worth much less (say less than $500), then maybe I will wait out the full 36 months and get the full $1,000 credits.

Bo15

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Georgia
Looking to trade my 12 Pro for a 15 Pro. On apple.com it gives me a $360 trade in credit and pay in full. On att.com it gives me an $830 credit via the 36 month installments.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Quick question, does the AT&T iPhone from Apple behave like an unlocked iPhone until you want to activate it? When I add iPhone 14 to cart, it doesn’t ask for my phone number. Does it make you activate when powering on? Or can you activate it with anyone you like?

plepster1

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Why is ATT site showing $929.99 for 15 Plus w/ 128G? Is it the activation fee or something? Does anybody know? It won't let me add to cart or anything, but just wondering about this higher price.

kiddsupreme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
It looks like it is eligible, if you read the fine print it says it excludes just the $45/month unlimited plan.
Anyone know if Unlimited Plus is eligible as well? I am also in the same boat as my plan still includes HBO, etc...

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I'm torn...I want the 15 pro max 512gb but I don't want to be locked in for $15.84 for 36months with ATT. They're offering the best deal for my 11 pro max 256gb. ($830)

If I make double payments (31.68), would I still get the full credits or is that only if I complete the 36 month term? I know I will want another iPhone in less than 36months. The next plan is an option but I'm sure there are some caveats to that plan too. Can someone explain what would be the best option....Iphone Upgrade program or ATT installment w/next plan?
No on the double payments. The total trade-in credit is spread across 36 months. Your monthly payment $15.84 is after the monthly credit is applied to the monthly payment and assumes the full 36 month term. If you make double payments $31.68 then the extra $15.84 will go toward the balance but after 18 months you will probably still owe money on the phone.

The upgrade program lets you trade in after 50% of the phone is paid off (plus the monthly fee) but the trade in credits are lower than for a standard financing plan. The longer you keep the phone, the worse the upgrade program is as compared to standard financing with a larger trade in because the trade in credits are much less. You'd need to run the numbers to see.

Reactions: killawat

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Why is ATT site showing $929.99 for 15 Plus w/ 128G? Is it the activation fee or something? Does anybody know? It won't let me add to cart or anything, but just wondering about this higher price.
Apple is offering a "$30 connectivity discount" if you buy it through them and activate it with AT&T.

In other words, AT&T has marked up the 15 Plus by $30, not including the $35 activation fee.

So buy it from Apple to save $30.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
If you go with the AT&T upgrade do you lose your current wireless plan or can you keep it?

I have the unlimited plan that includes Max and I don’t want to lose that, but I’d like the $1000 credit I’d get for my 12PM. Apple only gives $450.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
I'm sure if anyone else is having this issue. I'm on Next Up and I tried to make the required payments to be able to upgrade but it's asking me to pay off the full amount of the phone. I spoke with ATT and they said they're not able to take those payments until it's time to upgrade. I've never had any issues in years past so I just wanted to share just in case anyone is on Next Up and is having issues.

Reactions: AppleAbuser86

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021
I am planning to do what you propose. (I paid off my last phone three months early - it was a 30 month term - so I forfeited less than $100 in credits, no big deal.)

If the trade in value is $1,000, then you receive about $27.70 per month in credits, which is about $667 after 24 months. So, essentially receiving a $667 discount instead of $1,000. Still not a bad deal after 24 months IMHO.

It comes down to your preference to upgrade after two years or three and whether it is worth the additional $333 out of pocket to upgrade early. It may also depend on what the prices for new phones are at that time and what the trade-in and financing deals look like. If in the future AT&T decides that trade-ins are worth much less (say less than $500), then maybe I will wait out the full 36 months and get the full $1,000 credits.
I’m trying to think how it will affect future upgrades. Pay the 333 now, get 15, keep phone for two years, pay 333 again, get iPhone 17. Repeat.

Or

Keep receiving credits. Get iPhone 16, but only receive 800 in credits. Pay 5.50 per month totaling 200 over three years to wait for iPhone 19. Or get iPhone 18 by paying off 333, but also have paid 132 over the two years since the credits don’t cover the full cost.

My mind is boggled on this cost analysis/future device analysis.

Reactions: Wags

Mackattack57973

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I hate the fact that 50% of installments is halfway through the upgrade cycle of the following year. It makes it pointless when you could just wait 24 months and sell your phone to get the money to “pay off” the remaining balance and pocket an extra 100 or so bucks. Probably gonna not do up next on this phone. Whatever I decide to get. I used to be able to upgrade after 12 installments and not 18 before I got a 13 Pro.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
This is true, however you can pay off the phone early and keep the credits applied to date.

There will be a break-even point where the credits received from AT&T will be the same as what Apple was offering as a trade-in value, so as long as the phone is paid off after that date you will be ahead of the game even if you don't end up receiving the full credit. So for example if the Apple trade-in value is $570 and the AT&T trade-in value is $1,000, then the break even date is about 21 months or just under 2 years.
Have to be committed to at least the 2 years otherwise big loss if decide want new device after 1 year if you traded in newer device.

Reactions: onenorth

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I’m trying to think how it will affect future upgrades. Pay the 333 now, get 15, keep phone for two years, pay 333 again, get iPhone 17. Repeat.

Or

Keep receiving credits. Get iPhone 16, but only receive 800 in credits. Pay 5.50 per month totaling 200 over three years to wait for iPhone 19. Or get iPhone 18 by paying off 333, but also have paid 132 over the two years since the credits don’t cover the full cost.

My mind is boggled on this cost analysis/future device analysis.

I hate the fact that 50% of installments is halfway through the upgrade cycle of the following year. It makes it pointless when you could just wait 24 months and sell your phone to get the money to “pay off” the remaining balance and pocket an extra 100 or so bucks. Probably gonna not do up next on this phone. Whatever I decide to get. I used to be able to upgrade after 12 installments and not 18 before I got a 13 Pro.
Yep. For these reasons I prefer the standard financing with trade, the upgrade program doesn't seem worth it as long as the trade in values are decent.

I just look at it from a monthly payment perspective. Right now I'm paying just under $14/month for the top of the line 14 Pro and about $2/month for my wife's 14 Pro after bill credits. That is fine with me for these two phones.

This way I can decide how long to keep the phones and make the upgrade decision after the new phones are out based on how much the early payoff is and how much credit I will be forfeiting. After 24 months more than half of the cost of the phones has been discounted, so by then I am not so bothered by the costs. The longer I keep it, the greater the trade in "discount" so there isn't a penalty per se for waiting longer to upgrade, other than the risk that the phone's trade in value might go down at the three year mark at the same time the cost of the new phones goes up. But it seems to work out for upgrading every 2-3 years. The alternative is to buy the phone at full price and then sell it myself, but I'm too lazy/busy to deal with that hassle.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm sure if anyone else is having this issue. I'm on Next Up and I tried to make the required payments to be able to upgrade but it's asking me to pay off the full amount of the phone. I spoke with ATT and they said they're not able to take those payments until it's time to upgrade. I've never had any issues in years past so I just wanted to share just in case anyone is on Next Up and is having issues.
I was just able to do mine. Youn need to go to installment plan details then it'll give you two options (pay to upgrade early and pay off phone). I was able to pay to upgrade.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Have to be committed to at least the 2 years otherwise big loss if decide want new device after 1 year if you traded in newer device.
Yes, definitely true. I have AppleCare+ so if the phone is damaged in less than two years I can deal with it. Otherwise, I can wait at least two years.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Is this the wrong thread for me to ask about my question from yesterday? I went through the Apple preorder prep process, chose AT&T installment plan as payment option and I see a "Notify Me" button that has me enter my email address. I've heard nothing. Is this happening for everyone who does this? AT&T doesn't know who I am yet because this is through Apple. So it doesn'[t have to do whether I've been an AT&T customer for > 10 years and due for an upgrade. It appears to be that Apple and AT&T haven't established thisv pre-order cooperation yet. I wish others woulkd chime in and let me know if you experienced this as well.
This thread seems to be about trade-ins primarily. I have an XS Pro Max. No trade in.

Reactions: Maaz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.