Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I’m trying to think how it will affect future upgrades. Pay the 333 now, get 15, keep phone for two years, pay 333 again, get iPhone 17. Repeat.

Or

Keep receiving credits. Get iPhone 16, but only receive 800 in credits. Pay 5.50 per month totaling 200 over three years to wait for iPhone 19. Or get iPhone 18 by paying off 333, but also have paid 132 over the two years since the credits don’t cover the full cost.

My mind is boggled on this cost analysis/future device analysis.
Just the way ATT likes it.… Good do get something if going to be with att anyway but more preceived value than actual.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
I was just able to do mine. Youn need to go to installment plan details then it'll give you two options (pay to upgrade early and pay off phone). I was able to pay to upgrade.
I tried that and it only gave me the option to pay in full. I'm hoping they can help me out at the store.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Looking to trade my 12 Pro for a 15 Pro. On apple.com it gives me a $360 trade in credit and pay in full. On att.com it gives me an $830 credit via the 36 month installments.
$830 on a 12 Pro isn't bad considering that it is now three generations old.

Even if you pay off the 15 Pro after 24 months, you will still get at least $553 in credits, which is better than Apple's trade-in offer of $360.

Reactions: Bo15

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Is this the wrong thread for me to ask about my question from yesterday? I went through the Apple preorder prep process, chose AT&T installment plan as payment option and I see a "Notify Me" button that has me enter my email address. I've heard nothing. Is this happening for everyone who does this? AT&T doesn't know who I am yet because this is through Apple. So it doesn'[t have to do whether I've been an AT&T customer for > 10 years and due for an upgrade. It appears to be that Apple and AT&T haven't established thisv pre-order cooperation yet. I wish others woulkd chime in and let me know if you experienced this as well.
This thread seems to be about trade-ins primarily. I have an XS Pro Max. No trade in.
If you are a new AT&T customer then you might have to wait until Friday when the pre-ordering officially begins.

Reactions: farmkittie

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
If you are a new AT&T customer then you might have to wait until tomorrow when the pre-ordering officially begins.
I'm not. I mentioned I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years. How would Apple or AT&T know anything about it because I simply selected the option AT&T payment option but there wasn't anything allowing me to enter my phone number for Apple to lookiup my AT&T account;. This is HARD to explain.
1) I have excellent credit
2) never been late with at&t payment in 10+ years
3) how would Apple know this as there isn't any step where they arer looking up my account at at&t.
4) so confusing.

ETA: Just chatted with Apple. She says I will enter at&t phone number and my pin at checkout on 9/15 and that's when it will lookup my account. She assures me it will take seconds to go through.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So I spoke to AT&T and my iPhone 12 256GB will get me a $830 credit and so my bill will go up $2.56 per month over 36 months to trade it towards an iPhone 15 256GB.

I want to use Apple to place my order as in-store is much faster and it'll shave several days off of getting my phone from ATT via the mail.

I want to keep my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan from 2020 which also included unlimited hotspot as we use it all the time.

I will be there mashing the keyboard on preorder morning so I can be the first on my block with iPhone 15.

Two questions:

1. Will Apple match this deal? Are ATT and Apple in sync with promotions for ATT customers who choose to execute the upgrade and trade-in via an Apple Store?

2. Will Apple somehow mess up my grandfathered unlimited data plan? Is there an option in the Apple Store for the associate to tap that makes 100% certain that I don't lose my 2020 UDP?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
So I spoke to AT&T and my iPhone 12 256GB will get me a $830 credit and so my bill will go up $2.56 per month over 36 months to trade it towards an iPhone 15 256GB.

I want to use Apple to place my order as in-store is much faster and it'll shave several days off of getting my phone from ATT via the mail.

I want to keep my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan from 2020 which also included unlimited hotspot as we use it all the time.

I will be there mashing the keyboard on preorder morning so I can be the first on my block with iPhone 15.

Two questions:

1. Will Apple match this deal? Are ATT and Apple in sync with promotions for ATT customers who choose to execute the upgrade and trade-in via an Apple Store?

2. Will Apple somehow mess up my grandfathered unlimited data plan? Is there an option in the Apple Store for the associate to tap that makes 100% certain that I don't lose my 2020 UDP?
Yes they are in sync and Apple will honor the AT&T promotion.

No they will not mess up your grandfathered plan but they will not let you go through with the purchase if your plan does not qualify for the promotion. If you need to upgrade your plan to become eligible, in my experience the current plans are equivalent to, if not better than, the older unlimited plans and might even be a little cheaper if not the same price, so I would not worry about losing a grandfathered plan that you cannot still get with a new plan at or below the current prices. But you should check with AT&T for your situation.

EDIT: FWIW, I also have a grandfathered unlimited plan and I was able to buy a new phone through Apple earlier this year with no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo15 and boltjames

wickedrm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2021

Two questions:

Going through Apple is not any faster than going through AT&T. Either way you go the phone will be delivered on launch day, barring any logistical shipping mishaps.

Reactions: boltjames

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
Yes they are in sync and Apple will honor the AT&T promotion.

No they will not mess up your grandfathered plan but they will not let you go through with the purchase if your plan does not qualify for the promotion. If you need to upgrade your plan to become eligible, in my experience the current plans are equivalent to, if not better than, the older unlimited plans and might even be a little cheaper if not the same price, so I would not worry about losing a grandfathered plan that you cannot still get with a new plan at or below the current prices. But you should check with AT&T for your situation.

EDIT: FWIW, I also have a grandfathered unlimited plan and I was able to buy a new phone through Apple earlier this year with no issues.
I have the Unlimited Elite plan that includes HBO Max…I don’t want that to get messed up. I contacted ATT & Apple & both say it shouldn’t…but sometimes the chat folks don’t have all the details….so I’m still on the fence.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I have the Unlimited Elite plan that includes HBO Max…I don’t want that to get messed up. I contacted ATT & Apple & both say it shouldn’t…but sometimes the chat folks don’t have all the details….so I’m still on the fence.
That's what I have too, it should be fine as I went through this process earlier this year with no issues. (Although I am not holding my breath that HBO Max stays around, but that is a different story.)

For about $2.50/month/line less, the new plan is essentially the same, with more hotspot data but no HBO.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
I have the same plan and have upgraded w Apple every year since the iPhone 4. Better experience and no AT&T plan issues. i was even able to get the $350 early upgrade credit last year.

Reactions: boltjames

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
I have the same plan and have upgraded w Apple every year since the iPhone 4. Better experience and no AT&T plan issues. i was even able to get the $350 early upgrade credit last year.
So you went with Apple financing versus the ATT installments?

Teride

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
That's what I have too, it should be fine as I went through this process earlier this year with no issues. (Although I am not holding my breath that HBO Max stays around, but that is a different story.)

For about $2.50/month/line less, the new plan is essentially the same, with more hotspot data but no HBO.
I like HBO…..so you did the installment thru ATT?

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Is this the wrong thread for me to ask about my question from yesterday? I went through the Apple preorder prep process, chose AT&T installment plan as payment option and I see a "Notify Me" button that has me enter my email address. I've heard nothing. Is this happening for everyone who does this? AT&T doesn't know who I am yet because this is through Apple. So it doesn'[t have to do whether I've been an AT&T customer for > 10 years and due for an upgrade. It appears to be that Apple and AT&T haven't established thisv pre-order cooperation yet. I wish others woulkd chime in and let me know if you experienced this as well.
This thread seems to be about trade-ins primarily. I have an XS Pro Max. No trade in.
I’m in the same situation as you. I was told by apple that I won’t be able to select the ATT installment option until Friday morning.

Reactions: farmkittie

nimitz9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Just FYI... if it's locked to AT&T, you can't use the second sim with another carrier in the us or overseas. If you want to use a local carrier on vacation in a foreign country, you can't. You have to use AT&T foreign service plans. You can check your current AT&T iPhone settings>general>about>scroll down until you see Carrier Lock. If it says No SIM restrictions, its unlocked.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Is there an advantage in getting the iPhone 15 from AT&T directly vs. Apple? I can get the hardware faster by buying through Apple but I'm not sure if AT&T has a better trade-in deal which would make waiting the extra few days beneficial. Anyone know?
I learned the hard way to do the ATT Trade in only in a store. The last time I did it online I sent the trade in back the same day I got the new phone and box. I monitored the tracking and it sat 10 miles away from the final destination in a Fed Ex werehouse for 25 days before being delivered. Once they got it they sent it back with a note telling me I took too long to get it back to them. No amount of screaming on the phone and getting them to look at the tracking would get them to budge. I eneded up selling it online for less because they store could not do anything. I stick with them just because I get a big corporate discount on the monthly cost.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I’m looking at the terms and it looks like the $1000 credit deal is only good if you buy on September 15th. I’m not 100% positive of that, but it says it’s a limited time offer and mentions “buy on September 15th”.

Anyone know how long AT&T usually runs these promos?

ag21

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone know if Best Buy online orders function the same as the apple/AT&T online orders where you can preorder on their site, select carrier financing, then take your trade to AT&T to confirm the promo?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I’m looking at the terms and it looks like the $1000 credit deal is only good if you buy on September 15th. I’m not 100% positive of that, but it says it’s a limited time offer and mentions “buy on September 15th”.

Anyone know how long AT&T usually runs these promos?
For the iPhone 14 line the promo ran continuously at $1,000 max trade in except for a brief period in December and January where it dropped to $800. I suspect demand for the iPhone 15 will be the same as iPhone 14 so the promo will probably run more or less continuously but we can’t know for certain. It will likely run for at least a month though.

Edit to add when they say limited time that means no end date has been set. When the promo ends they typically put a countdown clock on their website.

Reactions: ag21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.