Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
It is much more convenient having cellular built into the tablet.

Yes it is. It's why I have cellular versions of both my rmini and iPad air. Having the att iPad plans is just worry free.

I've felt that if I spend the money to get the tablets what good is it if I gotta watch my data allotment? iPads are consumption devices. I understand not everyone agrees with me but realizing I'm a data user I know I'm saving a lot of money every month. It's paid for itself very quickly, and then some.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yes it is. It's why I have cellular versions of both my rmini and iPad air. Having the att iPad plans is just worry free.

I've felt that if I spend the money to get the tablets what good is it if I gotta watch my data allotment? iPads are consumption devices. I understand not everyone agrees with me but realizing I'm a data user I know I'm saving a lot of money every month. It's paid for itself very quickly, and then some.

Well I happen to agree with you. Verizon and AT&T "primed" us with their $30 a month unlimited 3G plan way back when - knowing we would eventually consume more data than phone calls in the ensuing years. They were right. They knew what they were doing all along. Like I said before on this forum, I would not own an iPad if I didn't have an unlimited data plan. The enjoyment would not be there: always worrying - gee if I watch this or download that will it put me over the limit. In their crystal balls they saw a proverbial gold mine in tablets. That is why they will gladly offer you unlimited phone calls now where as in the beginning it was the reverse. I am wise to their ways.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't need unlimited data plan from AT&T. I got hotspot mobile with unlimited data plan for 20 buck a month for my iDevices. :apple:

That's news to me. I have been with AT&T Cingular a long time. Never heard of unlimited (unthrottled) data with hotspot for $20 a month.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
The data plan resides on the SIM card - not the device. Therefore you can use the SIM card interchangeably between a phone and iPad for example.

I tried swapping my unlimited data plan from my iPhone to my iPad a couple of years ago. One person said that it would work then someone said that it wouldn't then I heard that it would so I went to an AT&T store to give it a try. They pretty much swapped phone numbers and plans between the devices. It's been about two years so I don't remember exactly what wouldn't work but it wouldn't work. I believe everything was fine with my iPhone. That got my iPad's plan but my iPad wouldn't work with the iPhone's plan. I'd have to find my posts from when it happened to let you know exactly what the problem was.

Last edited by a moderator:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I tried swapping my unlimited data plan from my iPhone to my iPad a couple of years ago. One person said that it would work then someone said that it wouldn't then I heard that it would so I went to an AT&T store to give it a try. They pretty much swapped phone numbers and plans between the devices. It's been about two years so I don't remember exactly what wouldn't work but it wouldn't work. I believe everything was fine with my iPhone. That got my iPad's plan but my iPad wouldn't work with the iPhone's plan. I'd have to find my posts from when it happened to let you know exactly what the problem was.

You mentioned your ipad of a couple of years ago. From my understanding only the new Airs can be interchanged with phone sims. My tablet works with my android phone sim. Hope this helps but maybe I am missing something else.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
You mentioned your ipad of a couple of years ago. From my understanding only the new Airs can be interchanged with phone sims. My tablet works with my android phone sim. Hope this helps but maybe I am missing something else.

I located my thread. Found that it was a year ago and I was trying to do it with my current iPhone 5 and iPad 4. This is what I posted -

Well... I can confirm that it can't be done through AT&T. I went to my local AT&T store today and thought everything was going to be good. The person that I talked to said that there was a way to do it. He swapped the numbers between the devices, activated the phone but couldn't activate the iPad. He tried it a few ways with no success. After that failed he suggested that I call AT&T because they can do more than a store can so I did that. Again, it got close and I thought it was going to work but no luck. The rep told me that it could be done if I was swapping the plan to another phone but it can't be swapped to an iPad. So... everything pretty much went back to normal.

But, I was able increase my data plan from 3GB to 5GB for an extra $8.50 per month. I get a 23% discount through the company that I work for. That discount doesn't apply to the 3GB plan but it does apply to the 5GB plan (strange). I wish I would have known that before. I was told that it didn't apply to the iPad's plan I had but nobody told me that it would apply to the next one up. So I bumped up my plan and all should be good.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1589622/

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You can't use the SIM card from a first generation iPad (or iPad 2 for that matter) in a third or fourth generation iPad (LTE SIM vs. pre-LTE SIM). You certainly can't use it in either iPad mini generation nor in the iPad Air (different sized SIM card).

That said, the idea of taking an iPad with unlimited data grandfathered from the first generation iPad all the way to the fourth is a lovely idea. If only it were possible.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
You can't use the SIM card from a first generation iPad (or iPad 2 for that matter) in a third or fourth generation iPad (LTE SIM vs. pre-LTE SIM). You certainly can't use it in either iPad mini generation nor in the iPad Air (different sized SIM card).

That said, the idea of taking an iPad with unlimited data grandfathered from the first generation iPad all the way to the fourth is a lovely idea. If only it were possible.

It is possible. Plans grandfathered in can transfer

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for iPad

On iPhones, yes. On iPads no, and that's because they didn't do separate in-store activation for iPads until after AT&T got rid of the unlimited data plan for the iPads.

yqe3uqum.jpg

It transfers. Plans aren't locked to a SIM card. You can update/change the sim easily

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
It is much more convenient having cellular built into the tablet.

That is true but I have 250MB mobile data plan with AT&T which is not enough for me when I need a FaceTime chat. :apple:

----------

Who do you have the Mobil hotspot with. I would like one, but can't find a good deal on unlimited....

I think it is too late for you because Clearwire was bought by Sprint and Clearwire is no longer selling mobile hotspot. If you might look for eBay or Craigslist for Clearwire Voyager Spot. :apple:

----------

That's news to me. I have been with AT&T Cingular a long time. Never heard of unlimited (unthrottled) data with hotspot for $20 a month.

I mean Clearwire with unlimited data plan not with AT&T. Sorry for confusion. :apple:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It is possible. Plans grandfathered in can transfer

Help me understand please. The unlimited iPad plans, are they registered with a phone number? If so, how does that work in iPads? I'm really rethinking buying one. I know they are expensive and the way that sellers offer them is confusing at best. I mean, I see unlimited plans for sale at big bucks but with the word phone thrown in there. I have an account with 3 phones grandfathered in, but I get throttled at 5 gigs. How do I tell the difference between the 2?
You can post or message me if you would be so kind. It looks like sellers on eBay may be selling what I already own under the guise of selling the truly valuable iPad plan.
Also, what is to keep ATT from pulling the plug on that plan at a future point in time?

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Help me understand please. The unlimited iPad plans, are they registered with a phone number? If so, how does that work in iPads? I'm really rethinking buying one. I know they are expensive and the way that sellers offer them is confusing at best. I mean, I see unlimited plans for sale at big bucks but with the word phone thrown in there. I have an account with 3 phones grandfathered in, but I get throttled at 5 gigs. How do I tell the difference between the 2?
You can post or message me if you would be so kind. It looks like sellers on eBay may be selling what I already own under the guise of selling the truly valuable iPad plan.
Also, what is to keep ATT from pulling the plug on that plan at a future point in time?

I'am going to answer your questions, so you have clear view once I explain it to you.

1. You asked if the iPad Data unlimited plans are tied to a phone number?
Answer: Yes

2. If so how does it work I'm the iPad?
Answer: It is a Data number assigned to the iPad sim with Unlimited Data for 30 days.

3. What is it to keep ATT from pulling the plan in the future point in time.
Answer: ATT has announced they will keep anyone that is grandfathered in, remain that way. They won't pull it because it would be bad Public Relations for them and they don't need that right now. At the same time a very very very small portion of customers actually have the till this day so it's not really effecting them. Keep in mind the plan was only offered for 3 months before ATT pulled it.

Iam going to try and bring some clarity for the confusion when it comes to the ATT IPad Data Unlimited Plan.

Pretty much it's a prepaid plan data plan for the iPad.

Go to Att.com/iPadlanding ( You see where it says GET YOUR PASS) pretty much once you fill out the information (SHOWN IN THE PICTURE BELOW), as you can see there is a area where you have to enter in your email and password (THE EMAIL AND PASSWORD WILL BE YOUR LOGIN INFORMATION TO THE ACCOUNT)

Then you will be prompted to select a plan once you select a plan, and your credit card goes through and a number will new assigned to your iPad Data Account.

So the way the plan is sold is that, the owner of the plan will give you his email and password and then you would go into the account and then click edit user information and then you will see where you can edit the name, address, email, password and CC info to your info, and that is how the plan is sold.

Also the iPad ATT Data Unlimited Plan is not throttled At all.

Once month i wanted to test this out and i used my iPad as a hotspot for my entire house, and had my entire house hold using it, and for the entire month it has been 4G LTE speeds, i also went to my iPad and check the data usage, and i used close to 80GBs in one month, and i also saw the real limit of the data unlimited plan, i gues it was a glitch in the system where it showed the real limit, but as you can see i used alot, there is no way i could of used that much data if it was throttled.

I hope this answers your question.

Attachments

• image-21-06-14-02-53-3.png
    image-21-06-14-02-53-3.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 360
  • image-21-06-14-02-53-2.png
    image-21-06-14-02-53-2.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 378
  • image-21-06-14-03-08.jpeg
    image-21-06-14-03-08.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 376

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for iPad

I'am going to answer your questions, so you have clear view once I explain it to you.

1. You asked if the iPad Data unlimited plans are tied to a phone number?

Answer: Yes

2. If so how does it work I'm the iPad?

Answer: It is a Data number assigned to the iPad sim with Unlimited Data for 30 days.

3. What is it to keep ATT from pulling the plan in the future point in time.

Answer: ATT has announced they will keep anyone that is grandfathered in, remain that way. They won't pull it because it would be bad Public Relations for them and they don't need that right now. At the same time a very very very small portion of customers actually have the till this day so it's not really effecting them. Keep in mind the plan was only offered for 3 months before ATT pulled it.

Iam going to try and bring some clarity for the confusion when it comes to the ATT IPad Data Unlimited Plan.

Pretty much it's a prepaid plan data plan for the iPad.

Go to Att.com/iPadlanding ( You see where it says GET YOUR PASS) pretty much once you fill out the information (SHOWN IN THE PICTURE BELOW), as you can see there is a area where you have to enter in your email and password (THE EMAIL AND PASSWORD WILL BE YOUR LOGIN INFORMATION TO THE ACCOUNT)

Then you will be prompted to select a plan once you select a plan, and your credit card goes through and a number will new assigned to your iPad Data Account.

So the way the plan is sold is that, the owner of the plan will give you his email and password and then you would go into the account and then click edit user information and then you will see where you can edit the name, address, email, password and CC info to your info, and that is how the plan is sold.

Also the iPad ATT Data Unlimited Plan is not throttled At all.

Once month i wanted to test this out and i used my iPad as a hotspot for my entire house, and had my entire house hold using it, and for the entire month it has been 4G LTE speeds, i also went to my iPad and check the data usage, and i used close to 80GBs in one month, and i also saw the real limit of the data unlimited plan, i gues it was a glitch in the system where it showed the real limit, but as you can see i used alot, there is no way i could of used that much data if it was throttled.

Good explanation. That's pretty much how it works.

I tether because my plan is on a jb rmini with tether me installed. When I sell the plans it's pretty much like he explained. Go to website, I provide login info to get in. Change info to your own. Don't ever change the plan cuz they don't offer unlimited lte anymore.

----------

I see you're tethering. I thought AT&T unlimited plans blocked tethering on all devices?

Mines on a jb rmini with tetherme. You can use them in att mifi liberate hotspots though.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
<snip>

Yes, this does shed a lot of light on the subject. Outstanding explanation. Thank You :)
I've been hunting around and have found plans ranging from 299 to 2900 on eBay. the only differences that I see in the description is that some of the plans tout a 60 dollar per month monthly fee and some tout 29 dollar per month fees.
I was hoping to gain some insight on how to tell which were the real thing and who was trying to make a profit on folks inexperience.
Search for 'unlimited ATT ipad data' and you will see the range that I'm talking about. How do I tell the difference between the 2? That was the only unanswered question... how to tell if it is truly one of the very few unlimited plans that were sold.
Again, thank you for your replies.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yes, this does shed a lot of light on the subject. Outstanding explanation. Thank You :)

I've been hunting around and have found plans ranging from 299 to 2900 on eBay. the only differences that I see in the description is that some of the plans tout a 60 dollar per month monthly fee and some tout 29 dollar per month fees.

I was hoping to gain some insight on how to tell which were the real thing and who was trying to make a profit on folks inexperience.

Search for 'unlimited ATT ipad data' and you will see the range that I'm talking about. How do I tell the difference between the 2? That was the only unanswered question... how to tell if it is truly one of the very few unlimited plans that were sold.

What u want is the 29.99 a month iPad unlimited data plan. This plan is unlimited att 4g lte, no throttling. The others are smartphone plans, which are phone plans that throttle after 5 gigs.

Most on eBay go for at least 1200+ that I see. The cheaper ones are the smartphone plans. I sell mine for 1000.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014

Yeah when you search ebay, type in iPad att Data unlimited plan, make sure the title of the auction is iPad att data unlimited plan for 29.99, if it does not say that in there that means that its not the correct one.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
What u want is the 29.99 a month iPad unlimited data plan. This plan is unlimited att 4g lte, no throttling. The others are smartphone plans, which are phone plans that throttle after 5 gigs.

Most on eBay go for at least 1200+ that I see. The cheaper ones are the smartphone plans. I sell mine for 1000.

I thought they belonged to TECHNOLOGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.