Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I still have grandfathered UDP from my iPad 1. Currently using it in an iPad Pro. I'm looking into using it in a hotspot, and this thread seems to recommend using a Unite Pro. Is this the one I should get?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCNHH2W

Thanks.

davey0

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2006

bigbucksnowhammies

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
Southern California
I still have grandfathered UDP from my iPad 1. Currently using it in an iPad Pro. I'm looking into using it in a hotspot, and this thread seems to recommend using a Unite Pro. Is this the one I should get?

Thanks.

Try eBay for the unite pro. You can find a good deal on one if you are patient. I got my unite pro for $25 shipped and it was in near new condition with box and accessories.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Try eBay for the unite pro. You can find a good deal on one if you are patient. I got my unite pro for $25 shipped and it was in near new condition with box and accessories.

I just upgraded from Unite Pro to Unite Explore. Unite Pro got me speeds of 15-20 down, Unite Explore gets 35-40 down.

It's a little more money, but the new Unite Explore gets the newest AT&T LTE band 30, I don't think Unite Pro has LTE band 30. I paid $115 off eBay.

This coupled with Orbi WiFi system gives me awesome HSI at home.
[doublepost=1487871208][/doublepost]

Thanks.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I just bought a Unite Explore. I previously had the Unite Pro that was included when I purchased it off of eBay with my UDP. For some reason, any device connected to the hotspot starts exhibiting timeout issues after about 10 minutes. A factory reset does not seem to fix the problem, and it is not present when tethering. Hopefully the Unite Explore doesn't have this problem.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I just bought a Unite Explore. I previously had the Unite Pro that was included when I purchased it off of eBay with my UDP. For some reason, any device connected to the hotspot starts exhibiting timeout issues after about 10 minutes. A factory reset does not seem to fix the problem, and it is not present when tethering. Hopefully the Unite Explore doesn't have this problem.

How much did you pay for that unlimited iPad plan off eBay? Last time I looked they were big bucks. I got lucky buying iPads with unlimited plans included.

I've have two unlimited iPad plans today. One in a Unite Pro that I use for travel, other just hangs at home in Unite Explore.

It's been a few weeks, but I've had zero issues with Explore. Previously I had Elevate hotspots, they overheated often and needed reboots at times.

I did notice better speeds throughout house if I turned down a WiFi strength on Unite Explore, as it was competing with by Orbi WiFi system.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
How much did you pay for that unlimited iPad plan off eBay? Last time I looked they were big bucks. I got lucky buying iPads with unlimited plans included.

I've have two unlimited iPad plans today. One in a Unite Pro that I use for travel, other just hangs at home in Unite Explore.

It's been a few weeks, but I've had zero issues with Explore. Previously I had Elevate hotspots, they overheated often and needed reboots at times.

I did notice better speeds throughout house if I turned down a WiFi strength on Unite Explore, as it was competing with by Orbi WiFi system.
I purchased mine 3 years ago for $1200. I'm trying to find another one for less than $1500.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
So I got the Unite Pro, but the initial impressions aren't good when it comes to speed. Speedtest average is 5 Mbps down on any device. Compare this to my iPad mini 2 that has MyWi installed (It turns a jailbroken iPad into a hotspot.) which has an average of 8 Mbps down on the any device. I swapped the SIM between the Unite Pro and the iPad mini 2. The speed difference is noticeable when I'm streaming video.

So I'm wondering if I got a defective Unite Pro, or that's the limitation of the device. Is it the lack of the LTE band 30? But then, the iPad mini 2 doesn't support band 30 either.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Glad I re-read this thread. I'm contemplating moving to Verizon for their unlimited to save some money ($20 on Verizon versus $30 on AT&T). I have two iPad unlimited data plans and this could save me $20 a month and I still get to keep my unlimited data plan, but from reading this, it's best I keep this plan.

I can't tell you whether that's a good idea or not, but I can give you the pros and cons of each to help you determine what's best for you.

$30 plan pros:
  • Cheapest option for unlimited ($30 total vs. $140 minimum for a phone and a tablet line)
  • Does not require DirecTV or U-verse (you might want to get rid of U-verse in the future and you will lose unlimited)
  • You can sometimes jailbreak for tethering (provided a jailbreak is available)
  • Works in pretty much any cellular device (tablet, hotspots, and phones) whereas the new plan set up for a tablet which includes tethering will not work in any device but a tablet
  • Absolutely no throttling (though you should rarely, if ever, get throttled on the new plan after 22GB)
New plan pros:
  • Obviously unlimited hotspot. I've had this almost since the plan came out and the hotspot is still available on my iPad.
  • Lots of $$$ selling your old plan.

Brandon86

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC55U/

Anyone have experience with this? Sounds interesting if it supports US networks like att n Verizon.

Dual band ac wifi, gigabit ports too.
That looks really nice! I don't have experience with it specifically but I have Asus RT-AC66U, and it's great. I didn't know own they were making sim capable routers now! Hopefully someone grabs one of these and writes a review.

Reactions: Truefan31

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
I would not get either the Unite Pro or Unite Explore. I would get the Netgear Nighthawk M1: LTE Cat 16 Mobile Router. I don't have one yet but I've seen them pop on eBay international.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I would not get either the Unite Pro or Unite Explore. I would get the Netgear Nighthawk M1: LTE Cat 16 Mobile Router. I don't have one yet but I've seen them pop on eBay international.

Hmm gonna look at that. You think it supports us att bands?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
That looks really nice! I don't have experience with it specifically but I have Asus RT-AC66U, and it's great. I didn't know own they were making sim capable routers now! Hopefully someone grabs one of these and writes a review.

Yeah it'd be nice to see it work in the us with att.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Are the iPhone unlimited plans still valid with the new plans just posted? I may be in the market soon for a second iPad unlimited data plan...

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Is it Explore noticeably faster than the Pro? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading since it's my main internet.

Yes, I've had a Unite Pro (doesn't support LTE band 30) for 2+ years now. Typically I'd get 15-20 down. With Unite Explore I'm getting 40-50 down.

Hands down Explore is a faster device.

[doublepost=1488220444][/doublepost]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11097...-lte-cat-16-router-1-gbps-carrier-aggregation

This looks good too. Looks like it supports more bands.

Any idea what att bands are used in us? I believe att uses 700/1900/2100 for lte. I think this one could potentially support it

For the ultimate modem, Crandlepoint just released COR-IBR900. Yeah, big bucks at $899, although this device supports all LTE bands and carriers.

https://cradlepoint.com/products/cor-ibr900-series

I found this site to be very resourceful www.rvmobileinternet.com on hardware and plans.
[doublepost=1488220768][/doublepost]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11097...-lte-cat-16-router-1-gbps-carrier-aggregation

This looks good too. Looks like it supports more bands.

Any idea what att bands are used in us? I believe att uses 700/1900/2100 for lte. I think this one could potentially support it

This would be awesome, I like how it includes Ethernet. Let's hope this comes to AT&T

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yes, I've had a Unite Pro (doesn't support LTE band 30) for 2+ years now. Typically I'd get 15-20 down. With Unite Explore I'm getting 40-50 down.

Hands down Explore is a faster device.

[doublepost=1488220444][/doublepost]

For the ultimate modem, Crandlepoint just released COR-IBR900. Yeah, big bucks at $899, although this device supports all LTE bands and carriers.

https://cradlepoint.com/products/cor-ibr900-series

I found this site to be very resourceful www.rvmobileinternet.com on hardware and plans.
[doublepost=1488220768][/doublepost]

This would be awesome, I like how it includes Ethernet. Let's hope this comes to AT&T

Yeah the Cradlepoint are top notch devices but man the price is pretty high.

Yeah I'm hoping on that netgear nighthawk m1. That'd be everything I'm looking for. If it just supports att it'd be great.

I'm interested in the mofi sim4 too but it doesn't have 5ghz only 2.4 and reviews are less than stellar.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah the Cradlepoint are top notch devices but man the price is pretty high.

Yeah I'm hoping on that netgear nighthawk m1. That'd be everything I'm looking for. If it just supports att it'd be great.

I'm interested in the mofi sim4 too but it doesn't have 5ghz only 2.4 and reviews are less than stellar.

Yes, I'd love to have that Cradlepoint IBR-900. That setup with a WiFi system (Orbi, Eero, Google WiFi) is guaranteed to have killer speeds throughout the entire house.

Today I use a TP-LINK Range Extender, which plugs into Orbi. I've got great signal everywhere in the house, good download speeds (40-50 down). I'd love to get rid of that TP-LINK. I typically use about 150GB / mo total between two iPad unlimited plans.

Question- If someone buys the new AT&T (sorta) Unlimited Plan, then adds an iPad or Hotspot (not cell hotspot), that would theoretically provide 22GB of data, the possible 'network management' under peak times right?

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
So I said not to get the Unite Explore in favor of the Netgear M1, but I found the Explore brand new for $35 on Craigslist. The Explore had plastic in the front of it still and the battery was shrink-wrapped as well as the back cover. And it fits on my DC112a smart cradle just fine. The difference between the Unite Pro and the Unite Explore is that it has a IP Pass Through feature that gives the smart cradle router AT&T's IP instead of doing double NAT like the Pro.

qT8NEJp.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.