Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Im sure Verizon will lose a good many of their customers - if this happens. A contract is a contract - mine says nothing about throttling or optimization of network protocol.

Does that contract say you will NOT be throttled? I'm guessing not. So the contract really doesn't control whether they can throttle you or not.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
I thought that I'd post my recent success with the AT&T unlimited iPad data plan. We recently bought a summer home that has no access to cable internet. Satellite or LTE are the only options. Satellite is the worst with slow speeds and caps at 5gb.

I bought a Cradlepoint router and have the iPad SIM card in the router giving LTE wifi access to the whole house.

We got here about half way through the monthly plan so the usage you see is only for the last 15 days of the billing cycle.

We put through 348 gigs of data during that 15 days. Before anyone freaks asking how anyone can use that much data in a short amount of time... Here's how. We are photographers and upload jobs to the cloud. Our home is also our home office and when we got this summer place we still needed to be able to upload all of our work to our cloud storage. Each job can easily be well over 100 gigs.

I can honestly tell you that the plan is obviously not throttled and AT&T renewed the plan no problem at the end of the billing cycle. In fact, I'm only two days into the new cycle and have already put through 60 gigs.

Here's the Cradlepoint router screenshot so you can see the exact amount of data we used. FYI - in order to set up the data monitoring with the Cradlepoint router I had to put an arbitrary limit so it can track usage. I chose 500gb for the month. And you'll see at the bottom it says the dates from 7-6 to 7-21 on the LTE network.

Hope this info helps.

Iam still shocked on how much day you used on the iPad unlimited plan. I just wanted to check on you to see how much more data have you used in a months period?

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
People like OP are exactly why we can't have nice things.

Using it as your primary internet source is why we lost unlimited to begin with.
No, the reason we can't have nice things is because Carriers were shortsighted and didn't see the potential profit they could make by capping bandwidth and making you pay for it. Once they saw the amount of money they could make by charging people 15/gig (Insane), they changed their tune. I Think it's more shameful that they want to tweak their agreement with the few people who still have unlimited data contracts and throttle their bandwidth.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
So, I have been using this in a unite hotspot for about 3 weeks now and have managed to use about 28gb. Works great. I plan to continue using this as I travel a lot and it is a excellent price to have truly no worries about downloading work files and doing what I need to do on MacBook Pro without having to worry about an overage.
Any new updates on others experiences with using the ipad sim in a hotspot month after month? I've used this in an ipad for years but only recently realized being able to use just a little more, as Netflix was using a few gbs per month.

HPLouis

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Wow, I saw an iPad unlimited data plan on Craigslist that sold for $400 and I wondered why someone would pay that much for a plan.

Now I see why

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Wow, I saw an iPad unlimited data plan on Craigslist that sold for $400 and I wondered why someone would pay that much for a plan.

Now I see why

That person that sold it for 400.00 didn't know that worth of that plan, on ebay it goes for between 850.00 n 1100.00.

The buyer of that plan got a good deal

Last edited:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No doubt about it, total abuse of the unlimited plan. I get a kick out of people here defending the abuse and then turn around and complain when AT&T raises prices. Just too funny.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
No doubt about it, total abuse of the unlimited plan. I get a kick out of people here defending the abuse and then turn around and complain when AT&T raises prices. Just too funny.

It would be like bragging of eating 348 shrimp at an all you can eat buffet. Sure you can, but honestly, something to be proud of?

Reactions: Jstuts5797

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
OP ..doing what you did is bad enough, but coming on here to brag about it just brings things even lower

stop being cheap and buy primary internet service

..i really ATT catches on and throttles you/terminates your plan

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
OP ..doing what you did is bad enough, but coming on here to brag about it just brings things even lower

stop being cheap and buy primary internet service

..i really ATT catches on and throttles you/terminates your plan
I agree and you know what's funny, the OP won't even admit that it's a violation of the terms of service and justifies it because he lives out in the sticks. Wrong is wrong no matter how you slice it and we all end up paying for it.

emscie

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
What is upload/download speed on the card?
And please let me know if you are selling one.
Thanks

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
how do you "abuse" an "unlimited plan"? by using it? the reason we don't have nice things and people are ok with getting bamboozled by the carriers.

ok, putting the sim card in a wifi router probably wasn't in the agreement but sucking up a ton of data sure was. that is the deal OP was offered and he's using it. what's the big deal?

if i recall these unlimited plans were only offered for just over one month then never offered again.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Now that the wireless providers are really getting crazy with there data plans, a lot of people are seeking unlimited data plans.

T-Mobile Offers Truly Unlimited Data on there smartphone, and these iPad plans, are still around for for sale after 4 Years. I got to say, and im sure a lot of people feel the same way.

The fact that its still around, and it possible to buy it, its just amazing, like I tell every else, get the T-Mobile unlimited data plan while its still here, and these iPad data Unlimited plan there running dry on ebay.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I'm using the Cradlepoint MBR1400 with embedded AT&T modem. It's really a great router giving wifi to all areas of a 3500 sq ft home.

It's an amazing solution for whole home internet when cable is not an option. By far the best I've found.

----------

Truefan31 - how do you guys get all of these unlimited plans? I bought one from your partner and it seems like you guys have an endless supply on eBay.
I really wish I lived in whatever country your in. I pay $90 for a gb of data

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Yeah i notice is other countries they dont't have Unlimited Data.

Unlimited Data Plans will be gone in the USA completely very soon.

We have a company called wind mobile that offers "unlimited" but is really only 5gb. It would be probably good enough but the issue is that their reception and coverage isn't very good. The only big companies in Toronto are Rogers bell and Telus (which isn't even big in Toronto but big in Canada). The bills are crazily high.

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
We have a company called wind mobile that offers "unlimited" but is really only 5gb. It would be probably good enough but the issue is that their reception and coverage isn't very good. The only big companies in Toronto are Rogers bell and Telus (which isn't even big in Toronto but big in Canada). The bills are crazily high.

Thats crazy.

Electroni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2014
In terms of cell phones and Netflix and being able to view stuff we are practically a third world country.

I am always amazed at how expensive cell service is in Canada.

I hope some day a guy like Xavier Niel (the guy who unsuccessfully tried to purchase T-Mobile US in the fall) comes in and sets the competition straight in Canada. In France and Israel for example his companies revolutionized cell service by causing drops of 60% or more in the price of cell service in the past few years.

T0MMYBOY4

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
I thought that I'd post my recent success with the AT&T unlimited iPad data plan. We recently bought a summer home that has no access to cable internet. Satellite or LTE are the only options. Satellite is the worst with slow speeds and caps at 5gb.

I bought a Cradlepoint router and have the iPad SIM card in the router giving LTE wifi access to the whole house.

We got here about half way through the monthly plan so the usage you see is only for the last 15 days of the billing cycle.

We put through 348 gigs of data during that 15 days. Before anyone freaks asking how anyone can use that much data in a short amount of time... Here's how. We are photographers and upload jobs to the cloud. Our home is also our home office and when we got this summer place we still needed to be able to upload all of our work to our cloud storage. Each job can easily be well over 100 gigs.

I can honestly tell you that the plan is obviously not throttled and AT&T renewed the plan no problem at the end of the billing cycle. In fact, I'm only two days into the new cycle and have already put through 60 gigs.

Here's the Cradlepoint router screenshot so you can see the exact amount of data we used. FYI - in order to set up the data monitoring with the Cradlepoint router I had to put an arbitrary limit so it can track usage. I chose 500gb for the month. And you'll see at the bottom it says the dates from 7-6 to 7-21 on the LTE network.

Hope this info helps.
OP, any update to this? Just wondering if you're still using that much data every month and if AT&T ever came to say anything to you about it. I use "almost" as much data with my cradle point router as you are, just not as much. I too have my iPad sim in the cradlepoint. I have my SIM card in my cradlepoint mbr1400 router for almost a year now, and no one from ATT has said anything to me. I was just curious if they have said anything to you, or if there's any update to this.

T0MMYBOY4

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
That's awesome. For 29.99 a month not a bad deal lol! On the new att plans 500 gigs you'd pay what about 500 a month lol
I think your math is a little off...lol. Just to clarify, 500 gig of usage a month would cost you $5,000 on AT&T's current tiered plans. (NOT $500 per month as you mentioned above) :cool::D It's $10 per gig.... So 10x500 = 5000 ;)

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I think your math is a little off...lol. Just to clarify, 500 gig of usage a month would cost you $5,000 on AT&T's current tiered plans. (NOT $500 per month as you mentioned above) :cool::D It's $10 per gig.... So 10x500 = 5000 ;)

Lol yeah I meant 5 gb is 50 now. You just illustrated again how great these plans are lol

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
This whole thread is kind of silly since AT&T or any other carrier can check the IMEI number on the device and see that it's not an iPad. Like eventually it'll be blatantly obvious what is going on

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
This whole thread is kind of silly since AT&T or any other carrier can check the IMEI number on the device and see that it's not an iPad. Like eventually it'll be blatantly obvious what is going on
p

True they probably can, but if they really wanted to do that, they would of done that a long time ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.