Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I do. It is blatant abuse of his service, to the detriment of other customers both from a standpoint of data speeds and future cost.

He has an "unlimited data plan" for use ONLY on an iPad. He is using that data plan for a home computer.

The irony is that he came on a public forum bragging how he is subverting his user agreement and device to steal data from ATT. Nothing subtle about this, no moral inconstancies. It is wrong.

I have an ATT iPad unlimited data plan, I have never used more than 2 GB a month, but it is people like the OP that ruined it for everyone else. ATT immediately discovered the hogs at the buffet binging on data, and had to pull the plug on unlimited data plans. It was nice while it lasted.

I live out in a rural area, when I first moved here, hughes satellite internet was the only broadband available. $120 a month, 20 GB maximum data cap, pay through the nose over that. You make the choice to live in a rural area with no service, you have to pay for the privilege, or suffer with dial up.

Or apparently you can go steal from ATT, because it is a "victim-less crime".

yep. sure.

The only silver lining is this cloud is that the ATT network monitors will eventually flag his service, and the free ride will be over. If there was any justice, they would charge him a per MB rate as well...

ATT-tethering-text-of-death.png

How do you feel now that AT&T doesn't throttle at 5 GB all the time?

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Im glad that, it has finally come to a end. We as consumers came along way when it comes to fighting for what is right when it comes to wireless. These providers make us consumers promises to get us in and then can't deliver, now that ATT and Verizon can't throttle us, we have to keep this going. T-Mobile is next because I'm hearing in the winds that they started doing that too, throttling customers. I hope its not true.

But i would say if it is true, as i tell everyone, get the T-Mobile Unlimited Data Plan now, while its here, because u have not clue how long it will exist.

Reactions: T0MMYBOY4

ClayMaster

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Engadget also posted an article and said starting Oct 1st the high data LTE users will get their speeds throttled once they hit 4.7GB during a monthly cycle.
[doublepost=1468586488][/doublepost]
I'm using the Cradlepoint MBR1400 with embedded AT&T modem. It's really a great router giving wifi to all areas of a 3500 sq ft home.

It's an amazing solution for whole home internet when cable is not an option. By far the best I've found.

----------

Truefan31 - how do you guys get all of these unlimited plans? I bought one from your partner and it seems like you guys have an endless supply on eBay.
[doublepost=1468586817][/doublepost]My question is a little unrelated, but I am also trying to get internet service out in the middle of nowhere.

When using the MBR1400LP-AT and the AT&T SIM do you get a public routeable IP on the dashboard of the Cradlepoint or do you see a 10.x address? In my desires, I am not only wanting to get internet service for the house, I want to be able to access the home network from outside.

monochromicorn

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
To those AT&T peeps who are cheering on the OP: don't you realize that YOU are paying for this? AT&T is losing money on this user and everyone else who abuses the "unlimited" data option, and all of the rest of AT&T users are effectively subsidizing that lost income.

To me this is pure unadulterated greed, and hurts the many to the benefit of the selfish few.

Reactions: 26139

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
To those AT&T peeps who are cheering on the OP: don't you realize that YOU are paying for this? AT&T is losing money on this user and everyone else who abuses the "unlimited" data option, and all of the rest of AT&T users are effectively subsidizing that lost income.

To me this is pure unadulterated greed, and hurts the many to the benefit of the selfish few.

Yeah, no. Data doesn't work that way. The towers are build, he's using them. It doesn't actually cost att that much to provide service once everything is already build. It's the building that matters.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Wireless carriers are businesses. Their existence is to generate profit, cash flow, and shareholder value. Unlimited Plans are offerings to entice you to overpay for a level of service. As soon as the tables are turned, the offerings are yanked or made unattractive. Only competition forces changes and pushes the price down.

The FCC investigated T-Mobile over the free streaming plan as you're opting in to less quality. Sort of a two tiered internet with a free and an extra-quality pay component. As I've stated before, anyone who thinks that's a great idea and future of the internet, should try working out of a hotel room with free wifi.

Reactions: baypharm

wilyone

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
Wireless carriers are businesses. Their existence is to generate profit, cash flow, and shareholder value. Unlimited Plans are offerings to entice you to overpay for a level of service. As soon as the tables are turned, the offerings are yanked or made unattractive. Only competition forces changes and pushes the price down.

The FCC investigated T-Mobile over the free streaming plan as you're opting in to less quality. Sort of a two tiered internet with a free and an extra-quality pay component. As I've stated before, anyone who thinks that's a great idea and future of the internet, should try working out of a hotel room with free wifi.

+1 this. There is a reason why AT&T doesn't invest in the physical broadband connections anymore unless it is forced. The wireless broadband market is much easier for them to make $$ on. As someone that used free hotel wifi and went downstairs to pay for the premium hotel wifi, there is a world of difference.

Reactions: baypharm

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I know this thread is old, but what is everyone expecting OP to do? He didn't have wired Internet at his house. His only options were satellite without enough data for his job and cellular.

Do you honestly expect him to pay half a grand each month for a limited cellular plan or $30,000 for the cable company to run a line to his house? No, you don't. If you say otherwise, you're just upset you don't have unlimited.

That's not even mentioning that, considering he lives somewhere without wired Internet, it probably isn't a very crowded location and there's most likely plenty of bandwidth in the area to support hundreds of GBs every month over a cellular network.

Shawn1982

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
I'm using the Cradlepoint MBR1400 with embedded AT&T modem. It's really a great router giving wifi to all areas of a 3500 sq ft home.

It's an amazing solution for whole home internet when cable is not an option. By far the best I've found.

----------

Truefan31 - how do you guys get all of these unlimited plans? I bought one from your partner and it seems like you guys have an endless supply on eBay.

Whats the modem you're using on your Cradlepoint MBR1400? I like to make sure the modem has a long range all through out the entire house. Let me know please

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I thought that I'd post my recent success with the AT&T unlimited iPad data plan. We recently bought a summer home that has no access to cable internet. Satellite or LTE are the only options. Satellite is the worst with slow speeds and caps at 5gb.

I bought a Cradlepoint router and have the iPad SIM card in the router giving LTE wifi access to the whole house.

We got here about half way through the monthly plan so the usage you see is only for the last 15 days of the billing cycle.

We put through 348 gigs of data during that 15 days. Before anyone freaks asking how anyone can use that much data in a short amount of time... Here's how. We are photographers and upload jobs to the cloud. Our home is also our home office and when we got this summer place we still needed to be able to upload all of our work to our cloud storage. Each job can easily be well over 100 gigs.

I can honestly tell you that the plan is obviously not throttled and AT&T renewed the plan no problem at the end of the billing cycle. In fact, I'm only two days into the new cycle and have already put through 60 gigs.

Here's the Cradlepoint router screenshot so you can see the exact amount of data we used. FYI - in order to set up the data monitoring with the Cradlepoint router I had to put an arbitrary limit so it can track usage. I chose 500gb for the month. And you'll see at the bottom it says the dates from 7-6 to 7-21 on the LTE network.

Hope this info helps.

ATT will ask you one day to switch to commercial account

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Not on the Session Based plan. That plan is handled by a different team, general care can't take on the support for people on this iPad Unlimited Plan, its done by session based support and once again, not a lot of people have this so ATT does not mess with anyone on the plan. Thats why the unlimited data plan on sessions based has not increased

Reactions: bigbucksnowhammies

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
ATT will ask you one day to switch to commercial account

Not on the Session Based plan. That plan is handled by a different team, general care can't take on the support for people on this iPad Unlimited Plan, its done by session based support and once again, not a lot of people have this so ATT does not mess with anyone on the plan. Thats why the unlimited data plan on sessions based has not increased

AT&T Free Msg: We hope your enjoying your iPad. Starting 5/24/17, when you use more than 22GB of data in one bill period, we may slow down your data speeds for the rest of your bill period. Questions? Go to att.com/broadbandinfo or manage your account at att.com/ipadlanding

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
AT&T Free Msg: We hope your enjoying your iPad. Starting 5/24/17, when you use more than 22GB of data in one bill period, we may slow down your data speeds for the rest of your bill period. Questions? Go to att.com/broadbandinfo or manage your account at att.com/ipadlanding
The free ride is over:p

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
this is why we can't have nice things. people abusing the system. sad for those of us that are using it as intended ON AN IPAD!
you are right for saying that in general, but I don't think it's the case.

if ATT throttles it because people are abusing the plan, by using them as mobile broadband, then they can easily detect and ban those who are NOT using it on iPad. T-mobile actually throttles to 0.5mbps when using a SIM card with voice plan on any iPad, and bans them on mobile hotspot devices all together...

also, it's an iPad, not an iPhone, it consumes a LOT of data.. for example, youtube consumes ~25mb/minute for 1080p video, much more for 1440p. 22G threshold is pretty much 900 minute of 1080p youtube. which is essentially 30 minutes a day everyday. I would hardly call 30 minutes of youtube a day 'abusing'.
if someone (like a kid, or retired) spend 2 (or 3) hours on youtube a day, then that's more than 100g per month. you wanna call this 'abusing'.

the only reason ATT is doing that, IMHO, is that because Tmobile and Verizon (especially Verison) are re-introducing unlimited data plans for phones, and tablets. ATT has to do the same in order to keep users. however on the other hand, ATT's network isn't really ready for this, it's not ready for everyone to use it without 'limits'. which puts tremendous pressure on its network. So ATT has to find every way possible to 'limit' what people would do to its network, trying everything to reduce every customer's data consumption. it has nothing to do with people 'abusing' the plan.

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I've gotten 3 good summers out of this plan so if they throttle me this summer - that's fine. I have a second unlimited plan so I figure if I get throttled on the first I'll just switch sim cards and use the second. We don't live in a high population area so if it's truly based on network congestion hopefully I won't see a difference. If not, I can live with that. The problem in my community is that there is no other internet option other than satellite which is much slower and much more expensive. I know there were a bunch of haters on this forum based on my original post and I get that.

Reactions: RevTEG and Channan

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I've gotten 3 good summers out of this plan so if they throttle me this summer - that's fine. I have a second unlimited plan so I figure if I get throttled on the first I'll just switch sim cards and use the second. We don't live in a high population area so if it's truly based on network congestion hopefully I won't see a difference. If not, I can live with that. The problem in my community is that there is no other internet option other than satellite which is much slower and much more expensive. I know there were a bunch of haters on this forum based on my original post and I get that.

I have 4 unlimited but it written SHARED DATA so ATT can say what ever they want (how come that on massaging its say NON SHARED) one day they will say we put it in writing SHARED My English its not my strong one but I am not stupid
I dont trust them and I am out of contract and free to move any minute

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
They're just jealous.

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I'll update this summer how the data usage goes and if we are throttled. Hoping for no "network congestion".

Reactions: Truefan31

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'll update this summer how the data usage goes and if we are throttled. Hoping for no "network congestion".
Hah! I remember reading this thread ages ago. I can't believe it's still working! I remember thinking that you would get shut down pretty quickly. It does suck to live in black holes like that. I live in one for CBS and can never watch NFL games as I also get blacked out if I try to stream. Not as bad as an internet black hole, but people still don't understand that yes, I've tried every expensive antenna out there and no, it's not getting any better.

ian1ian1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Yes - internet black holes are the worst and those that don't have to deal with it just don't get it. And our house is only about 2 miles from town but the internet provider hasn't reached our neighborhood yet. I've looked in to satellite but it's slow, low caps, and expensive. Also looked into a point to point system available in the area but it's not available to our street because trees block the sight line. Hoping one day to get a real internet option out there.

Reactions: Truefan31

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Hah! I remember reading this thread ages ago. I can't believe it's still working! I remember thinking that you would get shut down pretty quickly. It does suck to live in black holes like that. I live in one for CBS and can never watch NFL games as I also get blacked out if I try to stream. Not as bad as an internet black hole, but people still don't understand that yes, I've tried every expensive antenna out there and no, it's not getting any better.

There is always an option now comcast offer too and they have zillion of hotspot

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
People like OP are exactly why we can't have nice things.

Using it as your primary internet source is why we lost unlimited to begin with.

True, though corporate greed would have eventually ended the practice.

But yeah, it's annoying to see a well-off artist using massive amounts of data on the cheap knowing we'll all eventually be throttled because of it.
[doublepost=1495725281][/doublepost]
With our business, and the lack of cable internet in the remote areas there were no other options. If this solution wasn't available we would not have bought the house and the kids wouldn't have the amazing summertime memories out in nature.

Yeah, I feel real bad that your kids would have missed out on that second home.
[doublepost=1495725393][/doublepost]
I know this thread is old, but what is everyone expecting OP to do? He didn't have wired Internet at his house. His only options were satellite without enough data for his job and cellular.

Do you honestly expect him to pay half a grand each month for a limited cellular plan or $30,000 for the cable company to run a line to his house? No, you don't. If you say otherwise, you're just upset you don't have unlimited.

That's not even mentioning that, considering he lives somewhere without wired Internet, it probably isn't a very crowded location and there's most likely plenty of bandwidth in the area to support hundreds of GBs every month over a cellular network.

It's his second ****ing home. If he needs professional-level internet out there, he should absolute pay for infrastructure improvements to do so.

You sound like a temporarily poor millionaire in the making with that thinking.
[doublepost=1495725446][/doublepost]
Yes - internet black holes are the worst and those that don't have to deal with it just don't get it. And our house is only about 2 miles from town but the internet provider hasn't reached our neighborhood yet. I've looked in to satellite but it's slow, low caps, and expensive. Also looked into a point to point system available in the area but it's not available to our street because trees block the sight line. Hoping one day to get a real internet option out there.

Yeah, crazy how it's hard to live in the middle of nature and not have all the benefits of living in a city. Wonder why that is?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It's his second ****ing home. If he needs professional-level internet out there, he should absolute pay for infrastructure improvements to do so.

You sound like a temporarily poor millionaire in the making with that thinking.
So? You don't know how much he paid for either of his houses or what his financial situation is like. $30,000 is a LOT of money even for someone with two houses.

Maybe the reason he can afford a summer home is because he doesn't waste his money like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.