Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I don't understand why AT&T gets to charge $35 for me to upgrade my iPhone when purchased directly from Apple. It's aggravating since AT&T's computer will do the "upgrade" with me doing all the work. It's just a hidden fee for AT&T to get more revenue.

Perhaps we should all show up at an AT&T store to get our new iPhones activated so it will tie up their staff to earn the $35. I'm not really going to do that, but good grief do the fees AT&T charges get aggravating.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Did you do Apple installments, AT&T installment, or buy it outright?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
There has always been an activation fee in most cases since the beginning. But years ago, you could call and complain and get them to waive it. The good ole days.

Reactions: Hustler and victry1

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
There has always been an activation fee in most cases since the beginning. But years ago, you could call and complain and get them to waive it. The good ole days.
Maybe a few FCC complaints would get them to stop. Thankfully 2 phone surcharges at $35 each is not a hit to my finances, but there are people who are more affected by this than me. It's mainly the fact that carriers like to charge fees just to pad their revenue (for the sole reason they can).

Reactions: victry1 and 5105973

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Don’t select AT&T. Problem solved?
Apple doesn't charge the upgrade fee. So by not selecting AT&T, you wouldn't be informed of the fee. Might give more of a reason for them to remove it, but AT&T will charge it when you upgrade.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Apple doesn't charge the upgrade fee. So by not selecting AT&T, you wouldn't be informed of the fee. Might give more of a reason for them to remove it, but AT&T will charge it when you upgrade.
I’ve never paid a fee. And I upgrade every year. It’ll just transfer the eSIM during setup, and that’s it (in theory!).

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I don't understand why AT&T gets to charge $35 for me to upgrade my iPhone when purchased directly from Apple. It's aggravating since AT&T's computer will do the "upgrade" with me doing all the work. It's just a hidden fee for AT&T to get more revenue.

Perhaps we should all show up at an AT&T store to get our new iPhones activated so it will tie up their staff to earn the $35. I'm not really going to do that, but good grief do the fees AT&T charges get aggravating.
im with att and buy my phone outright and unlock and have been avoiding the fees for years doing it this way. This may change with the eSim

Reactions: 5105973

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
This is the one thing that bites me about the removal of a physical SIM card. In years past I would swap my SIM and never have to worry about a phone activation. This activation fee cash grab is irksome.

maracuch0

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Yep I never been charged with activation fee with AT&T before. Now Apple charges you automatically if you order carrier model.. I ordered unlocked model for now, so let's see what happens.

Reactions: 5105973 and Ram65

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Sign up for an AARP account which costs $16 and add it to your ATT acccount and all upgrade/activation fees are waived. You don’t need to be a senior citizen to have an AARP account.
I didn't realize you could do that. I'm already a member of AARP (yes, I'm 47 years old and a member).

EDIT: Was able to find it, but it's less of a discount than the healthcare worker discount I get.

Last edited:

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

Yep I never been charged with activation fee with AT&T before. Now Apple charges you automatically if you order carrier model.. I ordered unlocked model for now, so let's see what happens.

Depending on which phone you purchase from Apple, there may be a $30 connectivity discount from AT&T and other carriers. For example, if you purchase an iPhone 14 or 14 Plus and choose AT&T as the carrier, the price is $30 lower (reflecting the connectivity discount) than if you chose "connect to any carrier later."

For some reason, the discount doesn't apply to the Pro models.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I didn't realize you could do that. I'm already a member of AARP (yes, I'm 47 years old and a member).

EDIT: Was able to find it, but it's less of a discount than the healthcare worker discount I get.

Are you on one of the Unlimited Your way plans or a grandfathered plan?

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I'm on Unlimited Elite plans for each of my 4 family phones at $50 each ($37.50 with discounts) and $10 each ($7.50 with discount) for Apple Watches (2). It took a while to figure out this info on their website. I think I was on a grandfathered plan, but was automatically converted last year because they forced a conversion. I was paying around $225/mo plus $10/mo for each additional line with the previous plan.

Out of curiosity, does anyone see ads on the AT&T website? I'm not seeing them on any other utility website so I don't think my computer/browser is compromised. I think it's really AT&T trying to get ad revenue.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Out of curiosity, does anyone see ads on the AT&T website? I'm not seeing them on any other utility website so I don't think my computer/browser is compromised. I think it's really AT&T trying to get ad revenue.

I am not seeing any ads on the AT&T website other than for their charity support/sponsorships, and for products or services AT&T owns/sells.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I'm on Unlimited Elite plans for each of my 4 family phones at $50 each ($37.50 with discounts) and $10 each ($7.50 with discount) for Apple Watches (2). It took a while to figure out this info on their website. I think I was on a grandfathered plan, but was automatically converted last year because they forced a conversion. I was paying around $225/mo plus $10/mo for each additional line with the previous plan.

If you’re truly on an Unlimited Elite plan, then the discount % doesn’t matter. It gives you a flat $10/line discount for each phone you have on the elite package.

You could switch to AARP and get the waived upgrade/activation/accessory discounts without losing any monthly discount on your plan.

That being said, the fact you’re seeing $37.5 must mean you’re getting Military/Nurse & Doc/Teacher/First responder discount, in which case is a better deal obviously than AARP… which I now just read above with your edit.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020

The upgrade fee is added on your next billing cycle and is usually waived with a trade in device, all carriers do this on all celular existing line upgrades. Some plans give you discounts than others.

I will tell you this, you only pay for taxes upfront 100% when you checkout.

Also sooner than later almost all of you will get your updated cellphone bill with your new plan or cellphone changes, just remember going forward AT&T will always send you the bill WITHOUT discounts applied to your account and taxes, And also any trade ins you send towards your iphone 14’s or BOGO promos take like 60-90 days to kick in your accounts as a loyalty program to ensure you don’t switch to another carrier.

To fully qualify for line discounts on the postpaid plans you need to sign up for paperless billing and automatic payment.

Last edited:

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Somehow "Clever Ads" Chrome extension was installed. WTH? I don't remember installing that. My daughter has to use something with Clever for Google Classroom. I'm wondering if that installed it. Totally not cool. Removing the extension removed the ads.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The upgrade fee is added on your next billing cycle and is usually waived with a trade in device, all carriers do this on all celular existing line upgrades. Some plans give you discounts than others.

I will tell you this, you only pay for taxes upfront 100% when you checkout.

Also sooner than later almost all of you will get your updated cellphone bill with your new plan or cellphone changes, just remember going forward AT&T will always send you the bill WITHOUT discounts applied to your account and taxes, And also any trade ins you send towards your iphone 14’s or BOGO promos take like 60-90 days to kick in your accounts as a loyalty program to ensure you don’t switch to another carrier.

To fully qualify for line discounts on the postpaid plans you need to sign up for paperless billing and automatic payment.

His phone was bought outright, from Apple, which means he should not have an upgrade fee with AT&T.

Furthermore, AT&T doesn’t waive upgrade fees w/ a trade in. Sometimes ordering through their website during different promos will waive it, or certain signature discounts will as well.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
His phone was bought outright, from Apple, which means he should not have an upgrade fee with AT&T.

Furthermore, AT&T doesn’t waive upgrade fees w/ a trade in. Sometimes ordering through their website during different promos will waive it, or certain signature discounts will as well.
It’s still upgrading the existing cellphone line, they call it activation fee, i have been paying them since forever no matter how many times I’ve had them. The only time they waive them is for business accounts. Activation fee’s is one of those fees that you can get waived If you have the patience to escalate it for sure!

To be honest if you trade in any device “in the store” you can legit use the trade in credit towards activation fees and the rest toward future bills with qualifying devices of course, you won’t get those options online at all since it will just automatically apply it towards the promotion that‘s eligible for at the moment

I’m actually more pissed now because it used to be $30 dollars and next up used to be $5, now the activation fee is 35$ and next up is $6 😭

Reactions: 5105973

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It’s still upgrading the existing cellphone line, they call it activation fee, i have been paying them since forever no matter how many times I’ve had them. The only time they waive them is for business accounts. Activation fee’s is one of those fees that you can get waived If you have the patience to escalate it for sure!

To be honest if you trade in any device “in the store” you can legit use the trade in credit towards activation fees and the rest toward future bills with qualifying devices of course, you won’t get those options online at all since it will just automatically apply it towards the promotion that‘s eligible for at the moment

They don’t naturally waive upgrade fees for business. Just activation fees.

• Sad
Reactions: Apleeseed84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.