Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Try to have it waived after it posts if you’ve been a long time customer.

Even with sim I’ve gotten whacked with them and had them waived after, surprised for others they don’t get that even sim swapping? But I agree esim ensures more activation revenue one way or the other for carriers

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I don’t see this as activation fee for selecting carrier as Apple getting paid from carrier for helping get on their network.
I'm saying that if you buy an unlocked iPhone 14 from Apple it costs about the same as if you bought it through Apple and selected AT&T as carrier and paid AT&T's activation fee.

johnwhite1000

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2022
I don't understand why AT&T gets to charge $35 for me to upgrade my iPhone when purchased directly from Apple. It's aggravating since AT&T's computer will do the "upgrade" with me doing all the work. It's just a hidden fee for AT&T to get more revenue.

Perhaps we should all show up at an AT&T store to get our new iPhones activated so it will tie up their staff to earn the $35. I'm not really going to do that, but good grief do the fees AT&T charges get aggravating.
I am also getting charged 35 bucks from Verizon.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
I don't understand why AT&T gets to charge $35 for me to upgrade my iPhone when purchased directly from Apple. It's aggravating since AT&T's computer will do the "upgrade" with me doing all the work. It's just a hidden fee for AT&T to get more revenue.

Perhaps we should all show up at an AT&T store to get our new iPhones activated so it will tie up their staff to earn the $35. I'm not really going to do that, but good grief do the fees AT&T charges get aggravating.
Just choose unlocked instead of AT&T next time. If you are paying full price it doesn’t make sense not to choose unlocked one.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'm saying that if you buy an unlocked iPhone 14 from Apple it costs about the same as if you bought it through Apple and selected AT&T as carrier and paid AT&T's activation fee.
Ahh. Problem is AT&T will still try and charge activation fee even for unlocked device and reusing SIM. I am doing so will find out.

Reactions: southerndoc

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
im with att and buy my phone outright and unlock and have been avoiding the fees for years doing it this way. This may change with the eSim
I buy my phones outright also and ATT did try and charge me an upgrade fee. Fortunately, I'm a member of AARP and they get a discount. But sometimes you have to remind ATT of that.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
eSIMs will soon be mandatory in America. The AT&T guy said it was for our security . . . . I am thinking it is the beginning of control over our devices. I know there are so people in the FCC who want all phones registered to a particular person. This just does not sound good to me.

Reactions: jive turkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.