Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I didn't realize you could do that. I'm already a member of AARP (yes, I'm 47 years old and a member).

EDIT: Was able to find it, but it's less of a discount than the healthcare worker discount I get.
What health care worker discount? I’m one and interested to hear about this.

white_horse

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Maryland
His phone was bought outright, from Apple, which means he should not have an upgrade fee with AT&T.

Furthermore, AT&T doesn’t waive upgrade fees w/ a trade in. Sometimes ordering through their website during different promos will waive it, or certain signature discounts will as well.
"...or certain signature discounts..."

If their system handles it right. I'm on a discount plan which among other things is supposed to waive the upgrade/activation fees. I bought the phone from Apple and the email I have from Apple says I'll have a $35 upgrade fee on my next AT&T bill. You bet I'm calling if that fee appears on my next phone bill after I activate the phone.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
This is the one thing that bites me about the removal of a physical SIM card. In years past I would swap my SIM and never have to worry about a phone activation. This activation fee cash grab is irksome.
According to Apple document, says you can just convert that physical sim to esim. I will find out next week. 🤞

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
You can dispute the fee online. It might just get removed. Did that once and was removed. Not sure if removed in error or was just courtesy adjustment.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
According to Apple document, says you can just convert that physical sim to esim. I will find out next week. 🤞
I don't have a physical SIM anymore because last year I picked up in store and they FORCED me to activate it in store on the eSIM without using my SIM. I was told in store there were activation issues and Apple wanted everyone activated before leaving the store.

• Sad
Reactions: Wags

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Note you can't use the AARP discount if you have another signature discount. Best thing is to ask politely and see if they will waive it.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Bought outright. Just selected AT&T as a carrier.
yeah, I say carriers should not charge a activation fee since they don’t own the esim since it’s embed on the device, but since you selected at&t when you order it some how AT&T locked and that is why you have the activation fee. you should of selected connect with any carrier later the I think then you would not see that one fee

what Dose you about settings say under carrier lock - if it say AT&T or any others. Carriers then you phone is locked to the AT&T network but if you brought a completely unlocked phone then it will say no sim restrictions. Like this

Attachments

• 65C734A9-580C-4EB1-829C-B7D304C46D7F.jpeg
    65C734A9-580C-4EB1-829C-B7D304C46D7F.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 58

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
There has always been an activation fee in most cases since the beginning. But years ago, you could call and complain and get them to waive it. The good ole days.
But I found a way around when it was the physical SIM card day- I had a phone that was locked to AT&T and decide to get a new phone and selected a unlocked phone so I setup the new phone and then took the SIM card out of my old phone and put in the new one and was not charged a activation fee due to the Sim card was active.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Don’t select AT&T. Problem solved?
You are right if you already have At&t when when purchase just say I want a phone that I will conect to any carriers later, my dad is on a Verizon phone he came from a 5s or 6s to a 10s and we went to the Apple Store I made a mistake and told them we need a verizon iPhone and it was activated and my dad was charge the activation fee - I should of told the Apple employee we want a unlock phone and we would connect it later to the carrier if are choice

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Apple doesn't charge the upgrade fee. So by not selecting AT&T, you wouldn't be informed of the fee. Might give more of a reason for them to remove it, but AT&T will charge it when you upgrade.

‘There is no reason to select ATT when paying full price for the phone. It just locks the phone to ATT only and could decrease future sale price.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I have AT&T when I first got the OG iphone and when I kind of upgraded to a new phone I would select my carrier and I would get hit with the activation fee, starting with my 11 pro I started to buy the unlocked and pay in full and NO activation fee. And I still have At&t for my provider

white_horse

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Maryland
So I selected AT&T when I purchased this year (from Apple) but my phone says “no restrictions”. I know phones used to get locked to AT&T (and possibly other carriers) but I think that’s a thing of the past.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
i Wonder if you tried to get another esim from a different company will the phone take it since you phone says no restrictions

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
Verizon has it too and T-Mobile activation fee of 35 it doesn't matter where you buy the phone.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
With AT&T, your phone is only locked if you are on an AT&T installment plan

From Apple FAQ
  • Will my new iPhone be unlocked?​

Yes. An iPhone purchased from apple.com is unlocked. Once your new iPhone is activated, it remains unlocked, which means you can use it with any network that provides service for iPhone. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with an AT&T Installment Plan. It will be locked to AT&T and will only work on the AT&T network for the term of your Installment Plan agreement.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
did anyone get there phone directly through AT&T? and can you check the section for carrier lock - if its locked then you should AT&T in that field

Ronin73

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2021
Apple doesn't charge the upgrade fee. So by not selecting AT&T, you wouldn't be informed of the fee. Might give more of a reason for them to remove it, but AT&T will charge it when you upgrade.
It has always been my experience and this year was no different, that I buy the iPhone outright and select connect to carrier later. Get the phone, swap the card (or in the case this year, convert to eSIM) and I am good to go. No $35 activation fee charged.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Same here, and when I started using unlocked phone and paying out I have never been charge a actiaction fee till the 8 plus that wa when I started buying the unlocked phones, but all of the previois got charged activation fee, when I order the phone I said my carrier was At&t

Attachments

• 035ADBFD-9FCB-45AB-8877-B2999CA302EC.jpeg
    035ADBFD-9FCB-45AB-8877-B2999CA302EC.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 45

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
I don't understand why AT&T gets to charge $35 for me to upgrade my iPhone when purchased directly from Apple. It's aggravating since AT&T's computer will do the "upgrade" with me doing all the work. It's just a hidden fee for AT&T to get more revenue.

Perhaps we should all show up at an AT&T store to get our new iPhones activated so it will tie up their staff to earn the $35. I'm not really going to do that, but good grief do the fees AT&T charges get aggravating.
Verizon did the same last year and I contacted a rep telling them there shouldn’t be a fee from them when I didn’t even purchase the phone. They removed it no questions asked

Going to to do the same this year

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
iPhone 14 is $799 with carrier/$829 unlocked no carrier. iPhone 14 Pro same whether carrier selected or unlocked no carrier.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
iPhone 14 is $799 with carrier/$829 unlocked no carrier. iPhone 14 Pro same whether carrier selected or unlocked no carrier.
I don’t see this as activation fee for selecting carrier as Apple getting paid from carrier for helping get on their network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.