Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Just to let you ATT guys know! My bill just came out with the $30 upgrade fee for my 12. There is a little “explain fee” option to click right under the fee. Click it and disput and say “you were told there would be no fee” and click submit. It came back with a “we will credit your bill $30”. First time I have seen this. I can’t stand those fee’s. Charge us extra to pay more money.?

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Honestly, I cannot believe ATT still charge this. I argue this any time I upgrade. Then again, for the past 4 years, I have simply purchased full price, from Apple.

Frustrating, thing by ATT (among others!).

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Honestly, I cannot believe ATT still charge this. I argue this any time I upgrade. Then again, for the past 4 years, I have simply purchased full price, from Apple.

I know they even charged me one for my watch but waived it. Can’t stand those fees

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

Yep, same here about buying SIM free. I actually bought the AT&T version through apple at first intending to save the $30, but then I remembered they charged that fee so I just cancelled it and bought a SIM free version to save the headache. And since I’m a new customer, I don’t think they’d waive mine as easily as someone who’s been there longer like you.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Yep, same here about buying SIM free. I actually bought the AT&T version through apple at first intending to save the $30, but then I remembered they charged that fee so I just cancelled it and bought a SIM free version to save the headache. And since I’m a new customer, I don’t think they’d waive mine as easily as someone who’s been there longer like you.
Not to segway too far, from the original conversation.
Any downside to purchasing a SIM free device from Apple?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

Not that I know of. Then again, I’m still a new customer with AT&T (started service in august) so we’ll see if there’s going to be any sort of hidden fee on my next bill. There wasn’t one on this one at all. When I had Verizon and bought SIM free, I was never charged anything.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Well my $30 fee posted and I clicked on the bill to "dispute". I clicked on it and immediately got a response saying they waived it....no reason even needed to be entered. I totally thought I'd have to write some novel. This was EASIEST waiver I've ever gotten from AT&T. I even received a confirmation email very shortly after as it indicated I would. Thanks AT&T!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 6.16.22 PM.png

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009

None. As in zero. I've only purchased full price iphones from Apple for years. Just pop out the SIM from the old phone and into the new phone and done.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just to let you ATT guys know! My bill just came out with the $30 upgrade fee for my 12. There is a little “dispute fee” option to click right under the fee. Click it and say “you were told there would be no fee” and click submit. It came back with a “we will credit your bill $30”. First time I have seen this. I can’t stand those fee’s. Charge us extra to pay more money.🤬

I wasn’t told there would be no fee, though.

It continues to amaze me how many people will do anything to cheat the system. Honesty is, by and large, a forgotten virtue these days.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
It continues to amaze me how many people will do anything to cheat the system. Honesty is, by and large, a forgotten virtue these days.

I’m not willing to lie. However I have, on multiple occasions, called companies for discounts by just asking politely and explaining that the cost is prohibitive. Including cell phone, other utilities, and even our fire insurance.

You can get far with honesty and openness.

Reactions: The1andOnly

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m not willing to lie. However I have, on multiple occasions, called companies for discounts by just asking politely and explaining that the cost is prohibitive. Including cell phone, other utilities, and even our fire insurance.

You can get far with honesty and openness.
Agreed. I don't think I've ever paid an upgrade fee with AT&T. I've been with them since 1999, and my foundation account perks included no upgrade fees. Eventually that benefit went away, but I just call them up, ask them politely to waive the fee and they always have. No need to be dishonest. Especially over $30.

Reactions: rKunda

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I’m the same here. Buy from Apple, switch the SIM over and off I go. I’ve never paid and upgrade fee. ATT has nothing to do with my upgrade.

Reactions: blairh and circatee

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

VZW still charges the upgrade fee... Sprint did until TMO swallowed them up. Not sure if TMO does... but it's just a money grab... but that's still no excuse for the lying and dishonesty on the customers' part. Just ask them nicely and the fee goes away.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
They charge me every time and every time i have to call. One time they said how about we keep the fee and we will just give you $10 off a month of your service. i said hellz ya! They find any reason to add to our bills for no reason. Their excuse is for the towers and to keep them updated and working good. i said no, that's why i pay for your service.

Lets not forget they suddenly raised their Admin fee to $2 from like .50 cents a couple years ago. with around 90 million customers. they don't need upgrade fees when they screw us like that....

Reactions: fatTribble

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You will probably need a new 5G capable sim card...and then they will nail you with the upgrade fee..

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
You will probably need a new 5G capable sim card...and then they will nail you with the upgrade fee..

Hmm, good point. Alas, I will be avoiding 5G use, for as long as I can. I am willing to bet that in my area (Kennesaw, GA), there is not much 5G coverage. Plus, with working from home at the moment, no ‘need’ for 5G/extra speed, yet...

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I have AARP and it was supposed to be waived. I disputed it in the bill on the app and it was credited. Thanks

Reactions: Renho

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Went looked at my bill online, saw upgrade fee for my son’s 12 and wife’s 12 pro. Clicked on explain this fee...explains what it is and had a “dispute” link. Clicked it and it was refunded immediately...did for both fees.

Reactions: Renho

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Once it posts to my account I just chat at and they waive it every year. Been a customer since 1997. Never pay their $30 fee.
Now they make it easier, no need to chat just click the explain fee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.