Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Well my $30 fee posted and I clicked on the bill to "dispute". I clicked on it and immediately got a response saying they waived it....no reason even needed to be entered. I totally thought I'd have to write some novel. This was EASIEST waiver I've ever gotten from AT&T. I even received a confirmation email very shortly after as it indicated I would. Thanks AT&T!

View attachment 1208736
at least they made it easier for us to not get scrwed....lol Now i want to see if they will do it with my 12 Pro Max

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I don't see the option to explain this fee.. What page are you all seeing this at?
at least they made it easier for us to not get scrwed....lol Now i want to see if they will do it with my 12 Pro Max

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't see the option to explain this fee.. What page are you all seeing this at?

For me, I just look at my online bill for the upcoming month and expand Account changes. If I click the "Learn about this fee" link, it brings up the "About this fee" pop-up.

1606239765523.png

1606239789554.png

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Agreed. I don't think I've ever paid an upgrade fee with AT&T. I've been with them since 1999, and my foundation account perks included no upgrade fees. Eventually that benefit went away, but I just call them up, ask them politely to waive the fee and they always have. No need to be dishonest. Especially over $30.

I am on a FAN Account with AT&T (NYS Employee Discount, 20%) and part of that benefit includes no activation or upgrade fee's...among other benefits as well.

If you work, you should call AT&T and see if the company you work for qualifies for some sort of discount/benefits. A lot of you AT&T customers are eligible for such benefits but never check it out, and then lie to save a measly $30.00!

I agree with you, it is much better than being dishonest.

Edit: AT&T now refers to this as the AT&T Signature Program. Look that up, and you will be able to see if your company applies. Military and Law Enforcement get it for sure!

:apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: beach bum

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Interestingly, I’ve been on an ATT FAN plan for at least 10 years. Back when we used to have to get the phone number transferred, they always charged me the fee and I always complained about it and they took it off. The last 4 phones, I’ve bought directly from Apple, just swap the SIM to the new phone and off I go.

Reactions: jbachandouris

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Great thread! I too have always called and always received the credit. Normally both of our upgrade fees are on a single bill, but because the Max came later than the Pro I’ll have to request another credit. I check the Terms and Conditions boxes saying I’ve read the fine print even though I never read it. So I suppose I’m dishonest too. I can’t imagine AT&T would rather I spend 20 minutes on a call with one of their reps to receive a credit when I could just push the button. Just my opinion.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I tried this on my bill. Immediately greeted with a rejection stating “this is a valid fee”.

I’ll try chatting in tomorrow, but this is clearly far from foolproof.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am on a FAN Account with AT&T (NYS Employee Discount, 20%) and part of that benefit includes no activation or upgrade fee's...among other benefits as well.

If you work, you should call AT&T and see if the company you work for qualifies for some sort of discount/benefits. A lot of you AT&T customers are eligible for such benefits but never check it out, and then lie to save a measly $30.00!

I agree with you, it is much better than being dishonest.

Edit: AT&T now refers to this as the AT&T Signature Program. Look that up, and you will be able to see if your company applies. Military and Law Enforcement get it for sure!

:apple:
ATT Also says "Select Fees Waived". We'll see what on my next bill and I will get them to remove. For everyone else that purchased on Apple.com it clearly stated you'd be charged this fee. And for me at least, Simless phones were $30 more expensive.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
wow
I tried this on my bill. Immediately greeted with a rejection stating “this is a valid fee”.

I’ll try chatting in tomorrow, but this is clearly far from foolproof.
Wow first rejection i have heard of. Do you upgrade yearly or?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
ATT Also says "Select Fees Waived". We'll see what on my next bill and I will get them to remove. For everyone else that purchased on Apple.com it clearly stated you'd be charged this fee. And for me at least, Simless phones were $30 more expensive.
i think it says that wherever you buy it, that you will be charged that fee. Still they raised their "admin fee" and made millions off it. Just sick of these fee's that keep increasing. I mean admin fee, what does that mean?!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I usually just wait for it to show up on my bill and then call. Sometimes it takes more than one call so we'll see what happens when this bill drops.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I usually just wait for it to show up on my bill and then call. Sometimes it takes more than one call so we'll see what happens when this bill drops.
i had one last bill that got waived, i will have one this month. So wondering if they even let me do it 2 times in a row...

Flat6turbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
I clicked the link to dispute and was met with the same rejection stating "this is a valid fee"

So I did the chat the next day and the rep credited it back to my account. I have a FAN as well, but I still got the fee denied at first until I did the chat.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I called to dispute it and got it waived. Didn't understand why I'd be charged a fee when AT&T literally did nothing to set up the phone (purchased directly from Apple, set it up myself). They said they'd waive the fee because I've been a customer for 15 years. Their explanation of the fee was to expand 5G across the country. After waiving the fee they tried to get me to upgrade to a new 5G plan to which I informed them I have no interest in doing until there actually IS reliable 5G coverage across the entire city and not just a street corner here and there

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I just did a chat and had my fee waived as well. Explained that I have been with at&t since 2000 when they were Southwestern Bell Wireless in my area, and this is the first time I’ve requested a fee waiver. The agent was able to remove it immediately. He had me log in to my account to make sure it was removed. I gave him a good review in the survey lol. I didn’t try the dispute option on my bill at all.

Reactions: beach bum

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I called to dispute it and got it waived. Didn't understand why I'd be charged a fee when AT&T literally did nothing to set up the phone (purchased directly from Apple, set it up myself). They said they'd waive the fee because I've been a customer for 15 years. Their explanation of the fee was to expand 5G across the country. After waiving the fee they tried to get me to upgrade to a new 5G plan to which I informed them I have no interest in doing until there actually IS reliable 5G coverage across the entire city and not just a street corner here and there
So I wonder what the co called “admin fee” is about. Cause that’s what I was told about it, to upgrade the infrastructure across the nation!
I get 4-20mb of 5G

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I clicked the link to dispute and was met with the same rejection stating "this is a valid fee"

So I did the chat the next day and the rep credited it back to my account. I have a FAN as well, but I still got the fee denied at first until I did the chat.
I bet they wished they never put that fee dispute there now.

• Haha

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
i think it says that wherever you buy it, that you will be charged that fee. Still they raised their "admin fee" and made millions off it. Just sick of these fee's that keep increasing. I mean admin fee, what does that mean?!
Here are my current admin fees, but I only have one line.

3B05106F-8C24-4D55-A44B-C5F20545062E.jpeg

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.