Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
OK, here it is.. it doesn't quite compare.. but it's mine, aaalllll mine.

Attachments

• WireMess.jpg
    WireMess.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 169

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
zakatov said:
and I have bt mouse and keyboard

mess7mx.jpg

Haha, that's funny. I see you've let the various and sundry writing utensils build up as they happen to fall into the entanglement. Cannot help but think to myself that you say in your mind as each one falls, "Let 'em go, because, man, they're gone."

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
powermac666 said:
Now that is just plain frightening. :D Are those regular $2.98 extension cords some of those power bricks are plugged into? This is all plugged into just one outlet, right?
why yes, yes they are regular extension cords with power bricks plugged into them. And if you must know, they all lead to two UPSs...

....which are then plugged into one outlet. :(

and because pics are cool:
mess20wg.jpg

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
mactastic said:
Jesus... have you guys ever heard of zip-ties? :eek:
Unfortunately they don't work too well. I'm constantly moving stuff around, so zip-ties just get in the way. It wasn't always this way, but after about 3-6 months, the wire clutter becomes unmanageable. I'm quite surprised I haven't had any problems with cross talk and interference.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Lacero said:
Unfortunately they don't work too well. I'm constantly moving stuff around, so zip-ties just get in the way. It wasn't always this way, but after about 3-6 months, the wire clutter becomes unmanageable. I'm quite surprised I haven't had any problems with cross talk and interference.

Stage tape:
http://www.123dj.com/lighting/tape.html

... i have yet to try it, but it sounds like a good idea. audio cable on-stage gets moved around everynight so it's gotta stay down when you need it to and come off when you gotta move.

peace | neut

Here's a little cheaper route: link to b&h

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Gaffer's tape, it looks like duct tape but it does not leave any residue - my husband is a bass player but runs all the sound equipment and swears by that tape. it might be an improvement for some of ya... hell, even a twist tie would help.
unruly wires!

(no pics from me at the moment, but I have wire issues of my own in the other room, mostly I only have my powercord for my powerbook out here)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i have a decently big tangle of cords underneath my desk, partly due to buying cables much longer than i need (a 7ft crossover cable over an 18" span and a 14' cat6 running 5' :eek:, etc.) also the inside of my pc case is a bit of a jumble, although round drive cables help lol. ill post a pic after i bother to empty my sd card so i can take more pics on my camera lol.

zakatov

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
wrc fan said:
How do you people get so many wires? :confused: I've got one cable going to my diplay and one cable going from the display to the keyboard and that's it.

Power:
PM
LCD
iBook
Switch
FW HD
Speakers
Printer
UPS
Phone
Charger

USB:
to UPS
to LCD
to printer

FW:
to FW HD
to iPod

Other:
Speaker cables (x5)
cat5 cables (x5)
Headphone cable

And that's not even counting the TV, the XBOX, the DirecTV reciever and a million extension cords.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
Mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the people here (especially Lacero's) but here goes.

Attachments

• DSCF0766.jpg
    DSCF0766.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF0767.jpg
    DSCF0767.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0768.jpg
    DSCF0768.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 105

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
neut said:
Stage tape:
---snip

... i have yet to try it, but it sounds like a good idea.

Also try Production Advantage for good prices on gaffer's tape and other theatrical stuff. I have worked in theatres that were, quite literally at times, held together with gaff tape. It's great stuff. I wouldn't however recommend "Stage Tape Brand" tape for any purpose. Stick with ProGaff or Permacel.

Tough to get pictures of my mess, but I think it's the new contender. I am kind of in the middle of revamping my setup, so there are actually less wires than usual.

Attachments

• DSCN0112.JPG
    DSCN0112.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 118
  • wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 112
  • network.jpg
    network.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 121

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
All of those wires reminds me of "A Christmas Story." The scene with the one wall socket being used to power may different things including that Leg lamp :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
joepunk said:
All of those wires reminds me of "A Christmas Story." The scene with the one wall socket being used to power may different things including that Leg lamp :)

Or better yet the cat from the National Lampoon's Christmas Story!
:eek:

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Fellow Theatre Guy! Awesome....

Poeben said:
Also try Production Advantage for good prices on gaffer's tape and other theatrical stuff. I have worked in theatres that were, quite literally at times, held together with gaff tape. It's great stuff. I wouldn't however recommend "Stage Tape Brand" tape for any purpose. Stick with ProGaff or Permacel.

Tough to get pictures of my mess, but I think it's the new contender. I am kind of in the middle of revamping my setup, so there are actually less wires than usual.

While I do not suggest that you GAF-tape everything (zip ties work much better) I appreciate Poeben's post.

You can also get a plastic tube into which you can stuff all your cables. I am very adamant about keeping my apartment free of cables. I go wireless whenever I can. BUT: I have connected to my desktop (iMac G5): a laser and a photo printer, a USB hub, a film scanner, and a FW HD. You would be surprised how much cableage that entails! I disliked the idea of all those cables showing between my desk and my wall, so I went to IKEA and bought a tube that allows you to hise them all. It works great. Attached is a pic of my set up. All my peripherals are on the bookshelf, and only one silver tube runs from the bookshelf to the iMac. Pretty sweet if I may say so... modestly.

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 472

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Agreed. I do not recommend taping together your cables either, gaff or otherwise. Although not apparent in my pics, my favorite methods of cable organizing are: zip ties (especially the removable ones), conduit/wire clamps, and pvc conduit.

In the interest of promoting cable cleanliness, I will pass along this link:

Cable Organizer

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wow :eek:

I thought I was messy, but it's very clean compared to some of these pics. I'd post a pic myself, but the camera seems to be hiding :eek:

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
SurfinSHELL23 said:
Easy to tell that you're a great photographer from that shot, it's just so perfectly set up.

My wires are just as bad, if it's any consolation.

Haha, yeah that actually is an impressive photo on second review.

Is the OP actually a photographer?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I use my iBook as the main (and really only) computer at the moment, and with an AirPort Express the only wire connected is for power.

But there still the place where the bases, ADSL modem and switch resides (under the TV, hence the VCR), which is in need of some serious dusting, I guess... :D

Attachments

• mess.jpg
    mess.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 120

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iBlue said:
Gaffer's tape, it looks like duct tape but it does not leave any residue - my husband is a bass player but runs all the sound equipment and swears by that tape.

I must be using the wrong brand!! :(
The backs of my basses and guitars (I stick picks to the backs, in case you're wondering) and most of my cables are covered in residue!

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Most of you all = slobs

Balin64 = anal

Just kidding, Balin64, nice setup. But seriously, the rest of you, gross. Shame. Your mother would be disappointed.

;)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Balin64 said:
While I do not suggest that you GAF-tape everything (zip ties work much better) I appreciate Poeben's post.

You can also get a plastic tube into which you can stuff all your cables. I am very adamant about keeping my apartment free of cables. I go wireless whenever I can. BUT: I have connected to my desktop (iMac G5): a laser and a photo printer, a USB hub, a film scanner, and a FW HD. You would be surprised how much cableage that entails! I disliked the idea of all those cables showing between my desk and my wall, so I went to IKEA and bought a tube that allows you to hise them all. It works great. Attached is a pic of my set up. All my peripherals are on the bookshelf, and only one silver tube runs from the bookshelf to the iMac. Pretty sweet if I may say so... modestly.

Clean setup; nice. :)

Yeah i wouldn't recommend taping cable 'together'; I would only use tape to lead the wires under the desk(s) and hold them to the wall(s) <off the ground>. 3M probably has a better solution though ...

Audio cable are extreamly sensitive to power cable and houses with crappy grounding. :( ground loop sucks! :mad: ... i'll get around to posting my audio cable mess; i haven't even hooked everything up yet and i've got ground loop already! :(

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.